Tent theft - look out!

MJP

Need to be careful on the Monday leaving- my (solo) tent got "ratted" in 2019 while I was wandering about around 2pm- I had my valuables with me but I lost a power bank, a much loved shirt and other bits and pieces. Tent itself was collapsed but survived!  There were people wandering around (maybe) in search of abandoned tents - one of them claimed to be donating them and contents to somewhere- but mine wasn't abandoned!

I make good use of the lock ups every time. I actually saw a good tip that I might try - have a separate zip lock bag for each day with your outfit and cash in and then withdraw each morning (labelled 'wed' 'thurs' etc).

In the past, the lockups have been mostly used for our trolley and money. Each day, I will take out the cash I need and at the end of each day any coins spare go into the donation pot at the lockups.

We have only been robbed once. The bastards took our camping chairs from outside our tent! Not the end of the world of course but was a bit annoying!

I just do what ive done every single year.....stuff any valuables right down the bottom of my sleeping bag in the pockets of my bed shorts, if they can get in my tent, get me out of my sleeping bag and get the stuff out of my pockets without waking me (and our entire camp when i kick off) then good luck to them lol

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Beeswing said:

First timer & staying in Podpad in Sticklinch. Will have passport with me & need it to get home on Monday.

Any idea is there locks on Podpads? 

Other than that, for storing passport - just hide it in my bag somewhere I guess?

Please just leave it with us in the Lockups, we do little things like keys, passport/ID as well as the big stuff like bags. 

It'll be safe with us all festival & you can come and collect it when you're leaving.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Quark said:

Lockups for me:

• Car keys
  • "Main" wallet with cash, driving licence etc and most of my cards.
  • If you're planning on using a festival or burner phone, I'd put my main one in there as well.
  • Power bank is optional if you're not comfy leaving it in your tent.

I then have a day wallet on a chain with enough cash for the day and one card that I can cancel easy enough.

Optional / additional lockup use:

• Daybag if I'm heading into a heavy set that I know I'm going to want to get properly into and mosh / surf. Think of it as the equivalent of your mum holding your bag when you go on a rollercoaster.
  • Dotted stashes of booze at key lockup sites around the fest (never bothered with this one myself)
  • Hoody if it's warm but I know I'll want it later and can't be arsed to go back to the tent

Tips:

• Always take a photo of your ticket or save the number if you don't have a camera on your phone.
  • If you've got a mate / mates then text them the number as well so you've got a backup option.
  • Don't lose the damn ticket in the first place.
  • Tip every time you drop or withdraw. 50p or £1 is spot on I think, and always be nice!
  • Leave your tent a mess. Everything nicely ordered just makes it easier for someone to grab what they want. Leave your tent looking like TX Maxx rather than H&M.
  • If you're worried about some of the horror stories of people taking stuff while you sleep, have a lanyard or something that you can attach to your phone / wallet and attach it to your wrist and keep it inside the sleeping bag.
  • Ultimately, try not to take anything that you're really really worried about losing. Wedding ring will be left at home, which always raises an eyebrow on Mrs Q, but that's genuinely the only thing that would break me if I lost it.

Should after all this that the only thing I have lost at Glastonbury in 7 visits is my phone, and that was entirely my own fault for dropping it. Never had anything taken from my tent. You'll be fine!

This! People, read, re-read and bookmark. And tip your lockup.

As an international traveller, as soon as we enter the fest, passport, one bank/credit card and spare car key (yes!) go in the lock up until the end of the fest. Can't afford to lose any and have to go to a consulate/embassy in London on Monday...

Car key in daybag with a ropey thing attaching to an inner loop, wallet with a chain.

Never had any issues but with the above you get as much peace of mind as possible.

15 hours ago, Quark said:

Lockups for me:

• Car keys
  • "Main" wallet with cash, driving licence etc and most of my cards.
  • If you're planning on using a festival or burner phone, I'd put my main one in there as well.
  • Power bank is optional if you're not comfy leaving it in your tent.

I then have a day wallet on a chain with enough cash for the day and one card that I can cancel easy enough.

Optional / additional lockup use:

• Daybag if I'm heading into a heavy set that I know I'm going to want to get properly into and mosh / surf. Think of it as the equivalent of your mum holding your bag when you go on a rollercoaster.
  • Dotted stashes of booze at key lockup sites around the fest (never bothered with this one myself)
  • Hoody if it's warm but I know I'll want it later and can't be arsed to go back to the tent

Tips:

• Always take a photo of your ticket or save the number if you don't have a camera on your phone.
  • If you've got a mate / mates then text them the number as well so you've got a backup option.
  • Don't lose the damn ticket in the first place.
  • Tip every time you drop or withdraw. 50p or £1 is spot on I think, and always be nice!
  • Leave your tent a mess. Everything nicely ordered just makes it easier for someone to grab what they want. Leave your tent looking like TX Maxx rather than H&M.
  • If you're worried about some of the horror stories of people taking stuff while you sleep, have a lanyard or something that you can attach to your phone / wallet and attach it to your wrist and keep it inside the sleeping bag.
  • Ultimately, try not to take anything that you're really really worried about losing. Wedding ring will be left at home, which always raises an eyebrow on Mrs Q, but that's genuinely the only thing that would break me if I lost it.

Should after all this that the only thing I have lost at Glastonbury in 7 visits is my phone, and that was entirely my own fault for dropping it. Never had anything taken from my tent. You'll be fine!

Wow, thanks for this. Very helpful post. 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

This! People, read, re-read and bookmark. And tip your lockup.

As an international traveller, as soon as we enter the fest, passport, one bank/credit card and spare car key (yes!) go in the lock up until the end of the fest. Can't afford to lose any and have to go to a consulate/embassy in London on Monday...

Car key in daybag with a ropey thing attaching to an inner loop, wallet with a chain.

Never had any issues but with the above you get as much peace of mind as possible.

1 hour ago, PatrickF said:

Wow, thanks for this. Very helpful post. 

De nada. It's all just based on my own experiences obviously, but it's always worked for me.

Also worth adding that I've invested in a phone lanyard so I don't lose the bloody thing again, stretchy cable job so I can take pics without having to detach it.

Also forgot to add, label stuff!  Put a contact number or address or name and postcode on stuff like your wallet. My phone will also have a tenner tucked inside the case with my name and postcode, to cover either cost of postage or a pint for the finder if they drop it at lost property. Someone has already said about having contact details on the lock screen as well.

This is reminding me of kids summer camp and having my name written on my clothing. Or on my thermos flask as I have a tendency to forget it around the office.

Which reminds me of firing up the label printer to add a couple more stickers here and there (e.g. day bag, keys) !

I do think 99% of people are like me and would really try to get back a wallet or phone to its owner. 

2 hours ago, moogster said:

This is reminding me of kids summer camp and having my name written on my clothing. Or on my thermos flask as I have a tendency to forget it around the office.

Which reminds me of firing up the label printer to add a couple more stickers here and there (e.g. day bag, keys) !

I do think 99% of people are like me and would really try to get back a wallet or phone to its owner. 

My Lock Screen says “if found please call xxxxxxxx” with all my mates numbers that I’m at the fest with. Make it easy for them. 

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Probably a stupid question and I certainly don't mean to possibly offend the good lockup people, but how safe are they? Considering taking my actual phone and leaving it there for the whole weekend, but it's obviously a pretty valuable smart phone...

Put it in a bag with other random stuff. Remove the temptation. 

17 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Probably a stupid question and I certainly don't mean to possibly offend the good lockup people, but how safe are they? Considering taking my actual phone and leaving it there for the whole weekend, but it's obviously a pretty valuable smart phone...

100% safe.  

5 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

'Tipping' staff at the lockups feels very American and not something I think we should normalise. 

You're not tipping the staff, you're giving a donation to the charity that they are volunteering for.

31 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I leave my home and car keys, cards and passport there. I trust them more than if I was using a super anti theft wallet under a body armour.

32 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Fine. I believe they remain incredibly proud of their 100% record at the festival

• Upvote 1

I always try and sleep with my wallet/phone etc. But yeah 100% use lockups, Another great thing i would say is put your Contactless limit to something werid like 24 quid, This will stop your card being used as they won't know what the limit is and also looks werid if they can't do the pin when asked.

I also used to camp with someone who would put shit in a bag and place it under his tent...

Also be a messy fuck, Make it hard. Shit if you have a bag put in your sleeping bag.

but i must admit I've never had a problem....But camping around the dance village in 2002 is for the brave. But you know being young and all.

Edited by Cleverleyson