Do you think Elton is a contender to headline next year?

angelin

Two-hour Bestival setlist:

'The Bitch Is Back'
'Bennie And The Jets'
'Grey Seal'
'Levon'
'Tiny Dancer'
'Philadelphia Freedom'
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
'Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long, Long Time)'
'Hey Ahab'
'I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues'
'Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding'
'Candle In The Wind'
'Sad Songs (Say So Much)'
'Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me'
'I’m Still Standing'
'Crocodile Rock'
'Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting'
'Home Again'
'Your Song'

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as I worked the 'over 2 years ago' from Emily saying she had two of the 2020 headliners sorted, it'd have to be headliner.

Makes a lot of sense, this tour would have been planned a long time ago, hardly beyond the realms of possibility for Elton's people to have given the Eavii the heads up on it.

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Two-hour Bestival setlist:

'The Bitch Is Back'
'Bennie And The Jets'
'Grey Seal'
'Levon'
'Tiny Dancer'
'Philadelphia Freedom'
'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'
'Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long, Long Time)'
'Hey Ahab'
'I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues'
'Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding'
'Candle In The Wind'
'Sad Songs (Say So Much)'
'Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me'
'I’m Still Standing'
'Crocodile Rock'
'Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting'
'Home Again'
'Your Song'

?

22 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Is that why Fleetwood are in the mixer in people's minds, with the Macca/Killers swap in Feb seemingly pointing toward his inclusion next year?

word i've heard is that Michael was talking Michael-bollocks about Macca.

Word i've also heard is that we'll get Fleetwood Mac "within 5 years". I can't decide if that was a hint for next year or not. 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Makes a lot of sense, this tour would have been planned a long time ago, hardly beyond the realms of possibility for Elton's people to have given the Eavii the heads up on it.

it would have had to have been arranged (if only loosely) about 9 months before Elton went public on doing his last tour if Elton was one of the acts Emily was referring to. 

That seems a bit too long in advance as it's not like there were dates to announce when he did say he'd be doing his last tour, tho I think it also fits around a time Elton did some press where he said he'd never been asked to do Glasto, so there might have been some contact around that.

Anyway, booked back then or not it seems too much of a no-brainer to not be happening, so I reckon it's nailed on.

Anyone who thinks Elton John is anything less than a headliner is off their head.  The “legends” slot has been hyped up to get people who consider themselves to be headline material  but who Glastonbury wouldn’t entertain as headliners a space at the festival.  But the idea that someone who is clearly big enough to headline would take that step down (and it is a step down) is utter nonsense.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ICGenie said:

Anyone who thinks Elton John is anything less than a headliner is off their head.  The “legends” slot has been hyped up to get people who consider themselves to be headline material  but who Glastonbury wouldn’t entertain as headliners a space at the festival.  But the idea that someone who is clearly big enough to headline would take that step down (and it is a step down) is utter nonsense.

Personally I'd say that Kylie disproves that idea. Based on tickets she can shift she's a more suitable headliner today than she was when she was booked to headline back whenever it was.

Having said that I can only see Elton headlining if he's there.

3 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

Depends - anyone know of Elton has got a rep for having a larger than average ego?

Just now, eFestivals said:

Personally I'd say that Kylie disproves that idea. Based on tickets she can shift she's a more suitable headliner today than she was when she was booked to headline back whenever it was.

I guess the headliners have generally gotten a bit bigger since 05 too.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

I guess the headliners have generally gotten a bit bigger since 05 too.

Regardless of whether the level of the headliners themselves have (probably varies by year, and not so much this year) - without question the public expectation of the headliners has increased massively since then.

I'd also dispute that Kylie is more of a ticket shifter now than she was then - just looking at the tour dates, in 2005 she was playing 6 sold out nights in a row at major arenas which is more than on the current jaunt.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I have to say I hesitated with respect to Kylie but I don’t agree Kylie is as big now as she was when she was to be headlining.  And as (was it CalGo) said, cheese is a definite factor in the Legends slot.

10 minutes ago, SarahLu said:

Agreed.  I thought Rocketman was brilliant, I'd love to see him headline.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. The only thing I thought was a bit crap:

//SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT//

(Not really much of a spoiler): was the technique used at the end when he 'addressed' his 'problems'. That was way too on the nose. Also, the very end, Elton's a great guy and has learnt to love himself bit - seemed to totally ignore the fact that David Furnish got caught out having a three-way behind his back (and not in a good way) a few years ago.

Also, Elton's back catalogue can't hold a candle (windy or otherwise) to the depth of ABBA, who can fill out two musicals (just about). In fact, I went straight home and watched Mamma Mia with the wife (I was a bit pissed).

On 6/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Homer said:

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. The only thing I thought was a bit crap:

//SPOILER ALERT - SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT -SPOILER ALERT//

(Not really much of a spoiler): was the technique used at the end when he 'addressed' his 'problems'. That was way too on the nose. Also, the very end, Elton's a great guy and has learnt to love himself bit - seemed to totally ignore the fact that David Furnish got caught out having a three-way behind his back (and not in a good way) a few years ago.

Also, Elton's back catalogue can't hold a candle (windy or otherwise) to the depth of ABBA, who can fill out two musicals (just about). In fact, I went straight home and watched Mamma Mia with the wife (I was a bit pissed).

See you on the barrier at the Pyramid on Friday morning?