Shangri-La 2019

stuartbert two hats

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You've never really been to the naughty corner. Stand down with your Piers Morgan style faux outrage on somebody else's behalf who doesn't give a fuck because Glastonbury has a zillion fucking stages.

We literally have a thread where people who have been going for years talk about the stages they've never got round to seeing and you're choosing to make a stand about this? Bullshit man.

I can't upvote this because I'm out, damn line up drops. But yes to this, 

18 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

My group are pretty adamant they're not going to any late night set by IDLES (or the other one either), so that'll be an interesting night for me!

Same for me. I'm the only dance head in my group so I'm almost always solo after 2am but it's for the best really as they've no interest and they'll only slow me down! If I want to go to this Idles set ill be solo as well id say.

Edited by Madyaker

4 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Paying £250 to go to a festival and then finding out there's a stage full of acts you're not allowed to see because of your gender.

That's absolute bullshit, I don't care how you try to spin it.

A "safe space", at Glastonbury? I've literally heard everything now.

What's so wrong about there being a space people can feel safe in at Glasto?

Doesn't have to be a negative thing at all, just accept it and move on.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You've never really been to the naughty corner. Stand down with your Piers Morgan style faux outrage on somebody else's behalf who doesn't give a fuck because Glastonbury has a zillion fucking stages.

We literally have a thread where people who have been going for years talk about the stages they've never got round to seeing and you're choosing to make a stand about this? Bullshit man.

Piers Morgan? Jesus Christ, are you for real?

Piers Morgan is a sexist twat. I stand for absolutely nothing he stands for. I am completely the opposite, I hate sexism in all it's forms, just like I hate homophobia, racism, ableism, any kind of bigotry. Which is precisely why I'm against having an area of the festival where 50% of people are banned based on nothing but their gender. Don't be fooled into thinking it's because I'm male either. My wife is most definitely female and  feminist and she thinks it's abhorrent. None of the women I've been to Glastonbury would be comfortable with this either.

Thing is, I think I want the same thing as them, and probably you. Equality, right? I just think their method of going about it, which you're defending, is completely regressive. The fact that they say the area is open to "women and those identifying as non-binary" displays a total lack of understanding of what non-binary even means. It's "not binary" or "not one or the other". It is by it's very nature a sliding scale. Even those people who identify as "100% male" technically aren't, so where on the scale do you need to be before you meet their entry requirements?

Oh, and I'm not "choosing to make a stand about this", I just commented here because it's the first I've heard of it. The fact that I don't spend a lot of time in the naughty corner is not relevant as it's a point of principle. If there was an area of the festival that banned women then people who don't spend a lot of time in that part of the festival would still have the right to comment.

Also, the tone of your comment. Totally out of order. We obviously completely disagree on this issue but there's no need to be a dick about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

What's so wrong about there being a space people can feel safe in at Glasto?

Doesn't have to be a negative thing at all, just accept it and move on.

Because it perpetuates the idea that women can't be safe if there are men around. 

Just now, Gnomicide said:

If your first thought when seeing there is a female only venue isn't "fair enough" then somethings wrong with your mindset.

Oh, sorry Gnomicide, you must be right and I must be wrong. Clearly my opinion is unimportant and I haven't spent a long time thinking about this or anything.

55 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

Amidst all the understandable Gojira excitement do not overlook Venom Prison who to my mind have released the best death metal album of the year with Samsara. Samsara is an astounding record, crushing tunes, with a huge sound and great lyrics.

This announcement by Earrache is sensational, cannot wait for the mayhem to ensue.

Had not heard of them until this poster drop. Just finised listenig to Samsara, what an absolute beast of an album! Straight on the must see list!!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Glad we agree.

It's funny. I have this lovely idea that the festival (and this forum) is full of open-minded, respectful people, but then it turns out that if you don't agree with people about something they just go and prove you wrong.

Loving the fact that I'm losing imaginary internet points for arguing against sexism :)

Edited by bombfrog

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Because it perpetuates the idea that women can't be safe if there are men around. 

Not necessarily. There could be a multitude of reasons that women feel annoyed, stressed out or vulnerable at a festival. Having a safe space isn't all about the opposite gender, it's making that demographic feel safe and comfortable which at it's core is what the festival is all about. Not just having a good time but having a space where you can get away from it all.

Besides if it's a small stage with a few DJs also playing elsewhere at the festival, it doesn't really matter in hindsight.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Not necessarily. There could be a multitude of reasons that women feel annoyed, stressed out or vulnerable at a festival. Having a safe space isn't all about the opposite gender, it's making that demographic feel safe and comfortable which at it's core is what the festival is all about. Not just having a good time but having a space where you can get away from it all.

Besides if it's a small stage with a few DJs also playing elsewhere at the festival, it doesn't really matter in hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

And there are plenty of stats to back up that women aren’t anywhere near as safe as men at festivals. 

By a higher percentage than being anywhere else in the country? I go to Glastonbury with a few women most years and all of them agree that they feel much safer getting drunk and walking around the festival than they would walking around the town centre on a Saturday night. There are dickheads at the festival, of course, but far fewer than there are in most places outside the festival.

2 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Thanks for being one of the few people on here to provide a thoughtful argument. I can't help feeling that if it wasn't about the opposite gender then it would simply be described as a "safe space for all", but the fact that they are providing a safe space just for women would tend to suggest that it is the lack of men which makes it safe.

Just now, bombfrog said:

By a higher percentage than being anywhere else in the country? I go to Glastonbury with a few women most years and all of them agree that they feel much safer getting drunk and walking around the festival than they would walking around the town centre on a Saturday night. There are dickheads at the festival, of course, but far fewer than there are in most places outside the festival.

Studies have shown that 1 in 5 women have faced some kind of sexual harassment at a festival. I’m not saying that is any worse than outside of a festival, but I also think that having a small part of a huge festival as a space for women to express themselves and relax without the fear of what a man might do/say is a positive thing. I think until we can eradicate dickheads who make women feel uncomfortable from festivals then it’s a necessary space unfortunately. It may feel like a regressive step, but until everyone steps up to create a safe environment it is what it is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Thanks for being one of the few people on here to provide a thoughtful argument. I can't help feeling that if it wasn't about the opposite gender then it would simply be described as a "safe space for all", but the fact that they are providing a safe space just for women would tend to suggest that it is the lack of men which makes it safe.

It is certainly the lack of men that makes it feel safe. You do understand that, don't you?

Maybe stop taking it as an affront to your right on attitude and consider the many other reasons someone might need a safe space. Could be in an abusive relationship, had a flashback to something traumatic or any number of reasons. Not everyone has a feminist wife and a good moral compass. 

And I'll just leave this here. Maybe have a read. I also know people who have been assaulted at Glastonbury. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-44518892

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It's funny. I have this lovely idea that the festival (and this forum) is full of open-minded, respectful people, but then it turns out that if you don't agree with people they about something they just go and prove you wrong.

Loving the fact that I'm losing imaginary internet points for arguing against sexism :)

There are many things at Glastonbury that are not for me. I don't care, let the people who it is intended for enjoy it. Not arsed, there's masses of other stuff for me to enjoy. You just seem to be getting worked up over something that really isn't worth worrying about.

The one point I always think back to is the discussion on what people would do if they could swap sex for a day. Women responded with the type of things blokes take for granted, walking through an underground carpark without fear, walking passed a building site without the sexist shite being hurled at them. Blokes would stay at home and play with their tits all day.

It doesn't matter, let women have their space without fear, without misogynist bullshit, go and do something else. Yes, the world would be  much better place if this wasn't necessary but it is and denying women this opportunity because you think it's wrong is pointless.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Studies have shown that 1 in 5 women have faced some kind of sexual harassment at a festival. I’m not saying that is any worse than outside of a festival, but I also think that having a small part of a huge festival as a space for women to express themselves and relax without the fear of what a man might do/say is a positive thing. I think until we can eradicate dickheads who make women feel uncomfortable from festivals then it’s a necessary space unfortunately. It may feel like a regressive step, but until everyone steps up to create a safe environment it is what it is. 

It's funny how lots of men on here seem to have a very different opinion to the women I know. If I was out in Birmingham city center on a Saturday night and my wife walked off on her own I would worry about her. At Glastonbury she regularly goes off to do her own thing and I've never worried at all (except about her own navigational skills). I wonder why it is that the women I know feel safe at Glastonbury but so many men feel they shouldn't?