Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

30 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

For the record, I will certainly be going to see Janet, Miley, Kylie and Sheryl so stick me on that list! 

Clashes depending, I'll be at Lizzo, Rosalia, Kate Tempest, Christine & the Queens, Janelle Monae, King Princess, Jorja Smith, Sharon Van Etten and Mavis Staples as well.   Big up the women. 

Since I only really must see one act on the poster ill just be staggering around where ever my group lead me.. Maybe ill see all 3 maybe I wont who knows really. 

Edited by Xeph1995

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Exactly, the biggest headliner isn’t necessarily the one who has sold the most records or played to the biggest crowd. It’s one people are most interested in, either from a musical “it’s going to be amazing!” perspective or going along out of curiosity to see if they nail it/die on their arse.

I guarantee when we talk to people post festival we’ll be asked if we saw Stormzy more than The Killers or Cure.

No it definitely is. It’s the one people think they’re getting the best value for money out of, because their gigs are so rare or high demand. By your metric, 2017 had no big headliners because there was little risk behind three stadium acts.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No it definitely is. It’s the one people think they’re getting the best value for money out of, because their gigs are so rare or high demand. By your metric, 2017 had no big headliners because there was little risk behind three stadium acts. 

That's not what I'm saying at all. Who has sold more records - Kanye or The Who? Yet what was the most talked about and anticipated performance that weekend? Same with Adele v Coldplay, same with Sheeran v Radiohead, same with Metallica v any of them, likewise Jay-Z...

There's something intangible about the buzz around headliners that goes beyond how many units they've shifted or how many stadiums they've played in the past. It's why Stormzy will be the most talked about set of the three this year.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. Who has sold more records - Kanye or The Who? Yet what was the most talked about and anticipated performance that weekend? Same with Adele v Coldplay, same with Sheeran v Radiohead, same with Metallica v any of them, likewise Jay-Z...

There's something intangible about the buzz around headliners that goes beyond how many units they've shifted or how many stadiums they've played in the past. It's why Stormzy will be the most talked about set of the three this year.

I always wondered why they chose Metallica, Think Black Sabbath wouldve been a better fit but what do I know. 

8 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If that's the case, and I agree it is likely, it isn't necessarily for the better, or for the worse, and being talked about the most doesn't necessarily validate his booking. 

It's a brave booking for sure and one in the cold light of day looks strange but I have no problem with it personally. They're taking a huge chance on an up and coming artist in a genre that's largely under represented, isn't this the sort of thing we should be applauding?

Only time will tell if it's a successful booking or not, it's likely that I'll be elsewhere that evening, but I hope he smashes it.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In a stronger year across the board Stormzy likely wouldn't attract as much comment.  It's the fact that the other two headliners are fairly feeble that (unfairly imho) is making him a whipping boy for some people.

I actually think if The Killers were replaced with anyone else then The Cure and Stormzy would seem a lot better. 

Goerge Ezra into The Killers is puke worthy. 

Edited by Xeph1995

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In a stronger year across the board Stormzy likely wouldn't attract as much comment.  It's the fact that the other two headliners are fairly feeble that (unfairly imho) is making him a whipping boy for some people.

I'd certainly agree with that, was going to say it above. People would be a lot happier to see him up there alongside Macca for example.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ah bare in mind that the other two each sold out Hyde Park in days, quicker than any act who’s played there and isn’t The Rolling Stones. 

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah bare in mind that the other two each sold out Hyde Park in days, quicker than any act who’s played there and isn’t The Rolling Stones. 

That isn't necessarily a measure on if they should headline. Its not really a measure on big they are but how bland. The Killers are just so uninspiring. 

Edited by Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

That isn't necessarily a measure on if they should headline. Its not really a measure on big they are but how bland. The Killers are just so uninspiring. 

No but I don’t think they’re selling tickets to people who wouldn’t set foot on Worthy Farm so they’re clearly not weak as far as Glasto headliners go. I think Stormzy deserves the stick at the moment seeing as there’s nothing since he last played to make him a headliner and his star is only fading until there’s something new out.

If there was no must sees up against her, I'd watch Sheryl Crow. All I Wanna Do is a jam and I don't mind a bit of country. 

I wouldn't watch Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson though. Call me a snob all you like, but live music should be just that, not singing to a backing track. Too Party in the Park for me rather than a music festival. 

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

With respect to the headliners I just want to remind people that George Ezra is headlining both Isle of Wight and TRNSMT. 2019 is a year of slim pickings when it comes to headliners.

Ouch....

The whole IOW Festival Line up so far is absolutely atrocious. 

Edited by Xeph1995

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's a brave booking for sure and one in the cold light of day looks strange but I have no problem with it personally. They're taking a huge chance on an up and coming artist in a genre that's largely under represented, isn't this the sort of thing we should be applauding?

Only time will tell if it's a successful booking or not, it's likely that I'll be elsewhere that evening, but I hope he smashes it.

Fair comment, I support them taking the chance, heaven knows what this thread would be like if it were The Killers, The Cure, and Kasabian! (Or Coldplay, or The Strokes, etc etc).

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

With respect to the headliners I just want to remind people that George Ezra is headlining both Isle of Wight and TRNSMT. 2019 is a year of slim pickings when it comes to headliners.

Forget Buddy Holly, that was the true day the music died. 

21 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

If there was no must sees up against her, I'd watch Sheryl Crow. All I Wanna Do is a jam and I don't mind a bit of country. 

I wouldn't watch Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson though. Call me a snob all you like, but live music should be just that, not singing to a backing track. Too Party in the Park for me rather than a music festival. 

Miley won't be singing to a backing track.

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The thinking has always been that they were due to play the Other, but one of many attempts to book Prince fell through and they were shifted up.

Urgh that still cuts deep to the core that we almost had him.