Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Again I never said kick all the rnb and pop off the line up and just have rock. My issue is saying all rock bands are exactly the same and there's no diversity within the genre. The better bands will be announced later, I'm just disappointed there isn't a bigger name for the more alternative audience so far, like a Beck, Pixies, SP in recent years for example. 

I think that name is Tame Impala. You may or may not be a fan, but they're the big alternative act. 

1 minute ago, jparx said:

A - some of those could well be booked anyway

B - how many have played the festival in the last, say, 3 editions? They can't keep booking the same stuff year after year. Haim literally played the last festival. 

Well yeah but the ones they have booked this year have pretty much all played in the last 3 editions anyway. Two of the headliners and one sub played last time as well. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think that name is Tame Impala. You may or may not be a fan, but they're the big alternative act. 

But they're not exactly a "wow, they're playing" booking. Judging by other comments I've seen, I'd say that band would be Weezer. 

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They announced Stormzy on his own though? And he’s the weakest headliner.

I think you might be bringing personal preference into it too much. The Killers and The Cure are held in higher regard by Glastonbury clientele than Stormzy and Janet, there’s no need to bury the former while boosting the latter.

He's the most interesting headliner.

9 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But you've just cherrypicked three different acts and asked who's going to see all of them, as if that's an indicator of how popular a booking they are individually.

Also, people can be supportive of a more diverse, inclusive lineup without wanting to go and see every non white male guitar act.

It's just a bit pedantic.

No, at the very beginning I singled those three out as looking somewhat anachronistic, which is what started this whole convo. (Btw, the third was sheryl crow, not kylie - who I have already said is clearly a great booking.)

Your second point I largely agree with, which is where I’m kind of struggling with all this. While in principle I like the idea, in practice I don’t actually want to go and watch acts such as these three at all (or pay money for avPrimavera ticket, which I was v much considering before the line up came out).

Therefore, after a bit of debate here, I asked if anyone who was supporting their bookings actually wanted to go and see all three (wouldn’t have made much sense for me to ask about three acts, such as kylie, who I think personally are good bookings). I personally think it’s not great if they are booking anachronistic acts like JJ right at thr top of the bill for the ‘wrong’ reasons - especially if no one actually wants to go and see them .

We are never going to know the reasons for her booking though are we, so I’m more than happy to leave this where it is now, as has been suggested. The end.

Barring any heart breaking clashes (specifically Mavis Staples) Imma try see Janet, Kylie and Miley.  Sheryl Crow I've seen before (supporting the Stones and, I think maybe at TITP) so am less fussed, but All I Wanna Do is a bop and can see it being good fun twisting along in front of a sunny Pymild.

9 hours ago, Chinaski_ said:

I'm just disappointed there isn't a bigger name for the more alternative audience so far, like a Beck, Pixies, SP in recent years for example. 

9 hours ago, jparx said:

penn2_1112747a.jpg

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But still, more of a talking point than the other shrugworthy two.

Exactly, the biggest headliner isn’t necessarily the one who has sold the most records or played to the biggest crowd. It’s one people are most interested in, either from a musical “it’s going to be amazing!” perspective or going along out of curiosity to see if they nail it/die on their arse.

I guarantee when we talk to people post festival we’ll be asked if we saw Stormzy more than The Killers or Cure.

For the record, I will certainly be going to see Janet, Miley, Kylie and Sheryl so stick me on that list! 

Clashes depending, I'll be at Lizzo, Rosalia, Kate Tempest, Christine & the Queens, Janelle Monae, King Princess, Jorja Smith, Sharon Van Etten and Mavis Staples as well.   Big up the women. 

• Upvote 1