The Volunteering thread 2019

FestiZebra

On 5/3/2019 at 7:11 PM, Splodge said:

Do oxfam volunteers have to camp in the the oxfam field the whole festival. Just wondering if it’s ok to camp with friends in the main site from Wednesday onwards?

Official festival line is that *all* crew and volunteers have to camp in their designated areas.  As has been said above, there are also loads of advantages to being in the Oxfield, not least of all the relative peace and quiet.

If you are seen to be packing up and moving, someone might come and have a word - not just because you are breaking the rules, but because moving your tent etc into the site is often the first thing people do in preparation for skipping their shifts - it's easy to disappear in the festival site...

What I'd do is take a spare bed / sleeping bag and set yourself up with somewhere to crash on site, maybe take some essentials down as well (change of socks, crate of beer), and the you have a choice of where to end your night.

Yeah, Oxfam make the point that you must only camp in the Oxfield and not elsewhere on the public campsites. Tbh though, you could probably get away with raising a tent in Oxfield and having one pitched on site at least after Wednesday, since security sometimes check what pre-gates tents are doing around in the campsites.

27 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Thanks!! I'm in Pennards usually so just looking to see where I'd be in relation to where I'd usually be! 

A long way away!

Use the lock ups & make sure you only have to leave camp once a day. If you have a shift at ped gate D you have to allow a good hour to get there!

4 minutes ago, amfy said:

A long way away!

Use the lock ups & make sure you only have to leave camp once a day. If you have a shift at ped gate D you have to allow a good hour to get there!

It is!!! I always use the lock ups :) But thanks, good tip!! 

Sitting pretty gutted i had the payment/deposit screen for Oxfam volunteering in my hand and hesitated due to not knowing the training set up (getting time off work etc) and then missed out. I've been 9 years in a row and i'd fair enjoy doing the Oxfam helping out side of things and see the festival from a different light. Amazing to the poster who made people aware of it and managed to get them in. 

Was that a rare thing them opening the application thing up this morning? Chances of it happening again? It would be a case of just refreshing it all the time and getting lucky i suppose but i'd imagine places would appear again. Anyone with any knowledge on this?

14 minutes ago, TaylorT said:

Was that a rare thing them opening the application thing up this morning? Chances of it happening again? It would be a case of just refreshing it all the time and getting lucky i suppose but i'd imagine places would appear again. Anyone with any knowledge on this?

It's likely that Oxfam had a flurry of cancellations from people who got lucky in the resales.

It could open again as it's still before the 6 week cancellation deadline but I doubt many more people will cancel now.

Best to keep a check on here and there's also a Facebook group for Oxfam Festivals Team where people may post about more spaces.

Good luck!

25 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

It's likely that Oxfam had a flurry of cancellations from people who got lucky in the resales.

It could open again as it's still before the 6 week cancellation deadline but I doubt many more people will cancel now.

Best to keep a check on here and there's also a Facebook group for Oxfam Festivals Team where people may post about more spaces.

Good luck!

Cheers dude, this forum is full of many kind people cheers for that info. I don't do facebook but i suppose it becomes a handy tool for situations like this. A huge group of about 30 mates all tried in Oct. No avail. Then when resale came round most people had planned and booked different things. When it came to resale there was only 8 of us still wanting to try. One group got through on resale and the group i was in didn't so pretty gutting. I'd given in to defeat but this Oxfam thing popping up has given me desire to still want to go so just need to keep an eye on any secret sales and keep refreshing Oxfam ?

1 hour ago, TaylorT said:

Cheers dude, this forum is full of many kind people cheers for that info. I don't do facebook but i suppose it becomes a handy tool for situations like this. A huge group of about 30 mates all tried in Oct. No avail. Then when resale came round most people had planned and booked different things. When it came to resale there was only 8 of us still wanting to try. One group got through on resale and the group i was in didn't so pretty gutting. I'd given in to defeat but this Oxfam thing popping up has given me desire to still want to go so just need to keep an eye on any secret sales and keep refreshing Oxfam ?

Don’t give up! It’s not over yet mate. 

Cheers guys. Ive always been fortunate enough to always get a ticket since 2008 but from what Ive seen on here year in year out if you really wanna be at Glastonbury most people always get there and the help people provide on here is amazing. 

Just seen the below thread posted.

I understand that the SE corner isn't actually "staff only" on a Saturday night.

But as a first time volunteer at G19 it still got me wondering... as a volunteer do I get to skip the queue? Can I flash my band and claim that I need to get to my shift, and slide past without the wait?

Asking for a friend... obviously... ?