sedra

The Weather Thread 2019

Couldn't believe the Saturday. We were told it was going to cool down on the Sat and be 22. Checked the app on the Friday and it said it was going to be 29, feels like 34! We'd all spent Friday thinking "at least it will be cooler tomorrow."

18 minutes ago, briddj said:

Couldn't believe the Saturday. We were told it was going to cool down on the Sat and be 22. Checked the app on the Friday and it said it was going to be 29, feels like 34! We'd all spent Friday thinking "at least it will be cooler tomorrow."

You starting your GFZ updates for 2020 any time soon?

Amazing weather, probably the best I can remember at Glastonbury.

Granted Saturday was too hot, but we spent the morning driving our kids offsite to be picked up by grandparents, so aircon all the way, then a nice pub lunch just outside the site before coming back in mid afternoon.

It was too hot to do anything at that point, so we just chilled in the shade until the heat went out of the sun.

The rest of the festival was just perfect - sun, breeze, occasional clouds and not a drop of rain!

19 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Ha! I can’t go in 2020. Not sure I can face reading the forum in the week before!

20 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Anyone who starts the 2020 thread now will send me into a downward spiral towards insanity

On 6/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Holy shit, I'm trying to get an early night in my famed Fresh&Black tent and it's fucking sweltering. It's ten to one in the morning too!

This says it all I think!

We were lucky enough to be camped right next to a patch of space and shade behind the Park stage (probably our last time there, the atmosphere took a sharp turn towards Reading this year), and so most of us dragged our sleeping bags out of the tents Friday night for a cool morning away from the glare of the rising sun. Couldn’t’ve faced being inside a tent that morning. I hurt my hand picking up face wipes on one trip back to the tent - it felt like grabbing boil in the bag rice!

I must say though, Wednesday/Thursday/Sunday had pretty much perfect festival weather for me. Just the right amount of breeze and/or cloud cover to keep me comfortable. Saturday in particular was a real struggle at times, my friend had most of her day ruined seeking shade in the Park and it wasn’t until we finally watched the cold front move in from the Stone Circle that evening that things started looking up again.

The usual 3am finish for me meant the tent was cool enough to crash. However, the 8am convection oven effect meant getting up and venturing over to The Wood to set up my high backed chair and neck fan for relief in a patch of shade for the rest of my sleep. On the Saturday just about everyone passing me nudged their mates and said ‘hashtag winning’ or ‘that’s a set up’ or ‘genius’ - I was glad I made the effort.

I wasn’t complaining given I was there in 2016 and have to say 2019 was spectacularly good in comparison!

19 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

2020? we'll be alright.

[nalmode] Were fucked [/nalmode]

I loved that there were stickers featuring the coat of arms previously featured on this thread around the site. Felt like a very in joke when I tried explaining to my mates. To blank looks. 

11 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

I loved that there were stickers featuring the coat of arms previously featured on this thread around the site. Felt like a very in joke when I tried explaining to my mates. To blank looks. 

Yeah I seen one at unfairground. 

For any people in 2020 looking back on this thread to try and gauge when the forecasts started predicting the weather we ended up having - it became a possibility 2 weeks before the wednesday (there was a lot of uncertainty due to two fronts fighting it out due to some sort of omega jetstream - it could have either been wet and rainy every day or sweltering and dry.) a week before is when the trend started favouring an all dry festival, though wasn't until we got a few days closer that the threat of rainy days diminished-- there were some bad predictions along the way. 

There hopefully that will save me having to trawl through this thread next year

It won't but top effort all the same. :D

Edit: It was far, far too hot for me. Saturday was mostly spent perched between the road and the ditch near the JP to get some shade. Turns out I lose just as much festival time to hot weather as I do to wet. Maybe more. But I'll take sitting on hard ground every time. Also the first Glasto ever where I've not got sunburn which I'm very proud of, given the conditions. Acres of wafty fabric for the win.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

Amazing weather, can't say I thought Saturday was too hot at all. Try Mad Cool last week at 40 degrees for some real heat. I feel for those who suffered, but I thought it was glorious and, well, I didn't decide the weather so you take the dry with the wet and the hot with the cold.

I just bloody loved it. Dry ground, lovely sunshine, great food, tremendous music, everyone happy, treasured memories that will live with me forever. And not forgetting the weather panic and fear on this thread prior to the festival and how the pilton locals calmed our worst fears in the run up!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I just bloody loved it. Dry ground, lovely sunshine, great food, tremendous music, everyone happy, treasured memories that will live with me forever. And not forgetting the weather panic and fear on this thread prior to the festival and how the pilton locals calmed our worst fears in the run up!! 

Don't forget how nice and cloudy it was for our arrival wednesday morning - made queuing and carrying our stuff so much easier 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Don't forget how nice and cloudy it was for our arrival wednesday morning - made queuing and carrying our stuff so much easier 

True, the festival gods really looked favourably on us. 

5 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

So, the last 3 years have had very good weather over the last weekend of June. What are the chances of 4 in a row? 😉

giphy.gif

On 7/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, ripcurl85 said:

My mates totally didn’t get why I sprinted across croissant neuf to hug and congratulate @Bin Fish on his efforts!! 

6 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

So, the last 3 years have had very good weather over the last weekend of June. What are the chances of 4 in a row? 😉

The weather threads will be legitimately hysterical next year.