Bowie at Glasto

Wooderson

10 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Absolutely love your detail heavy slices of history on such a variety of topics. From what I read on eFests you’ve led a life well lived. 

Well I am older than many but I was lucky to get into the WBC at a very early stage - {in 1988 it was not easy to join} - if I had not joined then there is no bloody way could I have attended so many events - I used to work at most of the London events {Clapham Common - Finsbury Park - Hyde Park etc etc} at one stage it was 30+ events per year. 

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The Greens and subsequently the Apollo was an  iconic but dilapidated venue. But it was an incredible atmosphere and a world away from todays venues. Seats were for standing on , not sitting. Saw all the great bands in their classic line ups such as led zep, sabbath, deep purple , Alice cooper, yes elp etc and of course Bowie.  The tickets at the door thing was sometimes a doorman taking a bung to let you in.  Used to truant  school to queue to buy tickets.  @glasto-worker, love your memories! 

Re ' The Greens and subsequently the Apollo was an  iconic but dilapidated venue. ' - well your right there - they used to have rat poison and traps under the seats !!!! - Its only now with the Internet can I appreciate how well Glasgow was for Bands attending. 

I was transferred to London in the 70's so I was not aware it was demolished - I have been back although most of Glasgow is new to me but at least the Glasgow Central station is still there its only when I walk out I am stunned at the changes.

# By the way I still have my ticket the very first time I saw the Stones and the price was 6 shillings and 9 pennies { for people who don't have a clue its just under £00.35 } #

Artistes who performed at Green's Playhouse, 1967–1973 - just look at that list

Alice Cooper
Barclay James Harvest
Beggars Opera
Black Sabbath
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Donovan
Elton John
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Family
Free
Genesis
Hawkwind
Humble Pie
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayall
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Lindisfarne
Mott the Hoople
Paul McCartney & Wings
Pink Floyd
Rory Gallagher
Roxy Music
Slade
Status Quo
Stone the Crows
Ten Years After
The Faces
The Groundhogs
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Uriah Heep
Van der Graaf Generator
West, Bruce and Laing
Wishbone Ash
Yes

8 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Well I am older than many but I was lucky to get into the WBC at a very early stage - {in 1988 it was not easy to join} - if I had not joined then there is no bloody way could I have attended so many events - I used to work at most of the London events {Clapham Common - Finsbury Park - Hyde Park etc etc} at one stage it was 30+ events per year. 

Re ' The Greens and subsequently the Apollo was an  iconic but dilapidated venue. ' - well your right there - they used to have rat poison and traps under the seats !!!! - Its only now with the Internet can I appreciate how well Glasgow was for Bands attending. 

I was transferred to London in the 70's so I was not aware it was demolished - I have been back although most of Glasgow is new to me but at least the Glasgow Central station is still there its only when I walk out I am stunned at the changes.

# By the way I still have my ticket the very first time I saw the Stones and the price was 6 shillings and 9 pennies { for people who don't have a clue its just under £00.35 } #

Artistes who performed at Green's Playhouse, 1967–1973 - just look at that list

Alice Cooper
Barclay James Harvest
Beggars Opera
Black Sabbath
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
David Bowie
Deep Purple
Donovan
Elton John
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Family
Free
Genesis
Hawkwind
Humble Pie
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
John Mayall
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Lindisfarne
Mott the Hoople
Paul McCartney & Wings
Pink Floyd
Rory Gallagher
Roxy Music
Slade
Status Quo
Stone the Crows
Ten Years After
The Faces
The Groundhogs
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Uriah Heep
Van der Graaf Generator
West, Bruce and Laing
Wishbone Ash
Yes

And saw many of them! Interestingly the Alice Cooper gig was absolute mayhem. Think it was his first ever U.K. gig. So many names there that had the balcony shaking and plaster falling off the walls. 

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And saw many of them! Interestingly the Alice Cooper gig was absolute mayhem. Think it was his first ever U.K. gig. So many names there that had the balcony shaking and plaster falling off the walls. 

Alice Cooper I think was there twice

10 November 1972 tickets around £1.20 { divans }

and

19 February 1982 tickets around £6.00 { circle }

but lets see the Stones

8 March 1971 tickets around £00.70 { stalls }

16 September 1973 tickets around £2.20 { stalls }

17 September 1973 tickets around £1.10 { balcony }

10 May 1976 tickets around £2.50 { circle }

11 May 1976 tickets around £3.50 { boxes }

12 May 1976 tickets around £3.50 { stalls }

27 May 1982 tickets around £6.50 { circle }

-----------------

Did you ever go to Clouds ? - I was on the guest list { though a DJ who used to drink in the Lunar seven } but when I went to go in there was a massive battle with security and Punters - bugger that so I never ever reached it - I know  Tiger Tim , Emperor Rosco and Richard Park used to do their bit in there.

looking at those ticket prices - these days the bloody booking fee is even more ' and they don't send a ticket anymore '

once in London I soon found the Hammersmith Odeon - very close to the old Greens Playhouse.

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Alice Cooper I think was there twice

10 November 1972 tickets around £1.20 { divans }

and

19 February 1982 tickets around £6.00 { circle }

but lets see the Stones

8 March 1971 tickets around £00.70 { stalls }

16 September 1973 tickets around £2.20 { stalls }

17 September 1973 tickets around £1.10 { balcony }

10 May 1976 tickets around £2.50 { circle }

11 May 1976 tickets around £3.50 { boxes }

12 May 1976 tickets around £3.50 { stalls }

27 May 1982 tickets around £6.50 { circle }

-----------------

Did you ever go to Clouds ? - I was on the guest list { though a DJ who used to drink in the Lunar seven } but when I went to go in there was a massive battle with security and Punters - bugger that so I never ever reached it - I know  Tiger Tim , Emperor Rosco and Richard Park used to do their bit in there.

looking at those ticket prices - these days the bloody booking fee is even more ' and they don't send a ticket anymore '

once in London I soon found the Hammersmith Odeon - very close to the old Greens Playhouse.

I was only 14/15 in the greens playhouse days .  Never went to Glasgow clubs as had to catch the last train to Ayrshire!  Tiger T and Parks used to dj down our way though.  I am so glad others convinced me to go to see Bowie.  

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 1/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, henry bear said:

We were lucky, some locals told us of an alternative route/entry and we by-passed the carnage and drove straight in. I saw Bowie a number of times and this was one of my favourites, mainly because it wasn’t just the usual hits. Subbed by The Prodigy and we managed to catch most of what was to be the last Cocteau Twins gig, in the tented second stage, in between.

I was also at Phoenix in 96, but my memories are slightly different.  I definitely remember the queues to get in - my car over heated in the sun and we had to push it into the car park.

We saw the Prodigy, one of the best gigs of the many of theirs I've seen, and I don't remember a small crowd for them (see vid).  We didn't watch Bowie because we (then teenagers) just weren't interested in him, and there was quite a strong bill in the dance tent, which was much more our scene.  Also Bowie in the 90s.. well why see some 50 year old try his hand at drum n bass when Goldie was on over the way?  He also wasn't a rarity on the live circuit either if I recall.  I don't know why he had such an apparently small crowd, but it can't just be down to the traffic.  Maybe there were more people like us who just weren't there for it.

Also, until I read it on these pages a few years ago, I'd totally forgotten he was actually on the line up.

Good festival, though.

21 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I was only 14/15 in the greens playhouse days .  Never went to Glasgow clubs as had to catch the last train to Ayrshire!  Tiger T and Parks used to dj down our way though.  I am so glad others convinced me to go to see Bowie.  

A Youngster at the time !!!! - so you will not have heard of T1 {Terminal One Club St Enoch Square} and there was a place near the Greens but I forget the name - both very safe as they refused to allow in gang members although I preferred the T1.

Clouds was not just a disco !!! { renamed Satellite City at some later stage} Simple Minds played their first ever gig at the venue which also had Elvis Costello, Stone the Crows (supported by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band) and Midge Ure's Rich Kids but it used to attract many Nutters.

funny enough I have a connection to Ayrshire my parents were wardens of a Caravan site { Dutch House Monkton which is still there } started going in 1965 { or 1966 } at that time it was possible to walk over the runway to Prestwick Airport  { controlled by a "level crossing" } so I know Prestwick - Irvine and Ayr well.

I missed out Bowie before

5 January 1973 £1 { stalls }
18 May 1973    £1 { stalls }
19 June 1978   £6 { stalls }
20 June 1978   £6 { stalls }    
21 June 1978   £6 { stalls }    
22 June 1978   £6 { stalls }

by the way the first time I went to Glastonbury was 1979 - first time it was over 3 days and the weekend ticket was £5 so a bloody bargain.

• Upvote 1

One of my great 'regrets' is not going with friends to jump the fence in 2000 (which would have been my first visit to the farm) and then even more so not going down with the car load on the Sunday morning who were going specifically to see David Bowie.

Ho hum.

Edited by gooner1990

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

One of my great 'regrets' is not going with friends to jump the fence in 2000 (which would have been my first visit to the farm) and then even more so not going down with the car load on the Sunday morning who were going specifically to see David Bowie.

Ho hum.

It was Packed and I reckon a big proportion did not have tickets

## its the year Boris showed up - I kid you not ##

https://youtu.be/7TYre_n4aSw

25/6/2000 Glastonbury

Wild Is the Wind
China Girl
Changes
Stay
Life on Mars?
Absolute Beginners
Ashes to Ashes