Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

50 minutes ago, mr flow said:

It's still far too early to say though. The weather right after the festival is looking really nice, so all it's going to take is a small change in fortune as we'll be ok. Keep the faith!

This. Stuff usually happens earlier than predicted and shifts north and west. It's not amazing, it's not awful, we'll be fine.

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

New licence granted for next years event which will also include an increase to capacity. Boomtown also opening a new 3500 venue in Bristol in the autumn too.

Have you seen the licence? Is it online? Last I seen was posted in April saying there would be no increase, wonder whats changed. 

Edit: Just seen Lak's FB post. 

Edited by JBarbour

2 hours ago, mr flow said:

It's still far too early to say though. The weather right after the festival is looking really nice, so all it's going to take is a small change in fortune as we'll be ok. Keep the faith!

Too right. I'll keep faith for now. This time last year, it was still predicting wall to wall sunshine for Boomtown. And we know that didn't happen...

18 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Have you seen the licence? Is it online? Last I seen was posted in April saying there would be no increase, wonder whats changed. 

The full document doesn't seem be online, it was only agreed today. It only really seeks to increase capacity, no other changes.

The long and short is:

• 76,999 capacity
  • 58,000 public tickets
  • 17,999 crew tickets
  • 1,000 Sunday day tickets (free to locals)

10,000 extra tickets, 1,000 extra crew.

Edit: And Wednesday tickets up to 27,500

Edited by Sku

7 minutes ago, Sku said:

Too right. I'll keep faith for now. This time last year, it was still predicting wall to wall sunshine for Boomtown. And we know that didn't happen...

The full document doesn't seem be online, it was only agreed today. It only really seeks to increase capacity, no other changes.

The long and short is:

• 76,999 capacity
  • 58,000 public tickets
  • 17,999 crew tickets

To me it indicates that sales this year must be decent.

3 minutes ago, Sku said:

The long and short is:

• 76,999 capacity
  • 58,000 public tickets
  • 17,999 crew tickets

Oh interesting not quite the 80k they previous applied for but close enough. That crew/guest to ticket holder ratio has got to be one of the highest for a UK festival, surely. Not moaning too much though on that crew pass again this year :D 

4 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

Oh interesting not quite the 80k they previous applied for but close enough. That crew/guest to ticket holder ratio has got to be one of the highest for a UK festival, surely. Not moaning too much though on that crew pass again this year :D 

Yeah I should mention that figure it obviously crew/artists/traders/guests etc etc. It's a big festival, and the actual size of the site is not far off Glastonbury in square footage.

It seems quite high, but actually the ratio at Glastonbury is even more crazy as far as I'm aware...

1 minute ago, Sku said:

Yeah I should mention that figure it obviously crew/artists/traders/guests etc etc. It's a big festival, and the actual size of the site is not far off Glastonbury in square footage.

It seems quite high, but actually the ratio at Glastonbury is even more crazy as far as I'm aware...

I can see Glastonbury being so high with the sheer number of acts and their guests. 

I've attended Glastonbury and Boomtown about the same number of times now, Glastonbury just feels a hell of a lot bigger to me still. Boomtown can be more knackering with the hills though. 

1 hour ago, jump said:

I've been doing the clashfinder and it really highlights how me and my missus having very different taste in music, for example we will be seeing Little Dragon followed up by Napalm Death on our first night.

Haha, snap! Except this is just my clashfinder! 

6 hours ago, mr flow said:

New licence granted for next years event which will also include an increase to capacity. Boomtown also opening a new 3500 venue in Bristol in the autumn too.

New venue seems really exciting. Will definitely travel up there if it comes to anything.

Elrow have been very successful with their mixture of festivals and club nights internationally perhaps boom and moving to start doing the same thing?

38 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

New venue seems really exciting. Will definitely travel up there if it comes to anything.

Elrow have been very successful with their mixture of festivals and club nights internationally perhaps boom and moving to start doing the same thing?

Hope so!

There was an article in the Bristol Post about it a couple of weeks ago: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/boomtown-festival-plans-bristol-events-3099100

It's mostly just fluff, but the key quote seems to be: 

"The licence we've submitted is with the idea of running a series of themed Boomtown theatrical events in our warehouse, as well as offering Bristol a new venue space for general hire for fellow promoters.

"It could also be used as an interesting space for company Christmas parties and things like that.

"We'll release full details of plans once we've know about the licence and confirmed a few more things, but needless to say we're pretty excited about this new project.

"Definitely watch this space!"

2 minutes ago, jump said:

Surely if it's a music venue then people will be going there for the acts they have? 

yup, to some extent.

But (in Bristol terms) it's in the arse-end of nowhere with shit public transport, so is less likely to get the more-casual attendee.

I'm not saying that means it can't succeed, but it does make it harder. I don't think it'll be near the top of the list for other promoters to use, for example.

3 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Back to the weather topic. Are walking boots goo enough or will I need wellies? I've heard the rain drains away quite quickly unlike Glastonbury.

I really hope we won't be needing wellies. Boots should be fine - I'm hoping I get away with just my regular shoes. 

Boomtown has to be pretty much completely dry for regular shoes. It turns quickly in some spots and they're fairly unavoidable thoroughfares. It's good boot territory as the ground can be very uneven - not just in terms of the hills but tree roots and bumps - flint and chalk don't deform and flow so rough bits stay rough. Parts like the hippy highway down the hill will always be littered with ankle-twisting lumps of rock.

Can get away with trainers but I've known more people twist their ankle at Boomtown than the big G and I've been to almost 3x as many Glastonburys.