Benicassim (FIB) 2019

The Toad.

19 minutes ago, CJTM said:

I actually think it’s not a bad announcement. Blossoms will get the indeh students over in their waves, and I’m surprised they haven’t put 1975 as a headliner considering who they have put in the past.

Lana is headlining a massive outdoor show in Dublin and will (most likely) sub at Glastonbury, probably The Cure - so not surprised at all she would be touted as a cheaper headliner... they have an ace card to play yet in terms of headliner.

Are we sure they aren't a headliner? I know they haven't said it in the press release but in previous years the yellow text has indicated headliner. Smaller text for me probably indicates a co-headline slot.

6 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

no way LDR is the biggest headliner they’ve got booked this year, wouldn’t it of made the most sense to announce the biggest act first to start building hype early?

Imagine they'll be waiting for some big act to announce their return rather than simply choosing Lana first. They probably didn't want to wait as long as last year and wanted to at least get names out there as early as the likes of Mad Cool for hype/early ticket sales. 

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Are we sure they aren't a headliner? I know they haven't said it in the press release but in previous years the yellow text has indicated headliner. Smaller text for me probably indicates a co-headline slot.

They posted the announcement on Facebook putting Lana as the only headliner announced 

1 minute ago, diogozsz said:

They posted the announcement on Facebook putting Lana as the only headliner announced 

Yeah fair enough, hadn't seen the wording of that. Interesting because if you look back at at least the last 2 festivals, the yellow text indicated headliner. There was even a move pre-2017 when Foals were announced as a non-headliner in white text and later promoted to headline slot with the font changed to yellow. If the 1975 are indeed not a headliner though, it's certainly promising for what's to come. I still wonder if they're being slightly deceptive and it will later emerge they're a co-headliner though. 

Just now, The Martini Police said:

Yeah fair enough, hadn't seen the wording of that. Interesting because if you look back at at least the last 2 festivals, the yellow text indicated headliner. There was even a move pre-2017 when Foals were announced as a non-headliner in white text and later promoted to headline slot with the font changed to yellow. If the 1975 are indeed not a headliner though, it's certainly promising for what's to come. I still wonder if they're being slightly deceptive and it will later emerge they're a co-headliner though. 

I bet The 1975 really are a co-headliner haha

I'm surprised they've gone with Lana as first headliners.  I think this pretty much rules out The Cure, as with them announcing NOS Alive this week, today would be the natural time for them to announce FIB.  I thought that The 1975's were absolute garbage when they played Beni a couple of years ago, mainly as the lead singer bloke was off his tits, but appreciate they are popular (glad that not taking a headline spot).  I'll be giving them a swerve, but it frees up time to see someone else on another stage.  Blossoms are one of my favourite bands of this decade, and I always enjoy seeing them live.  I'm OK with LDR headlining, so long as there are 2 or 3 other decent headliners.  I'd take her over the likes of Travis Scott, Major Lazer, or The Weeknd, all of whom have headlined over the past three years.  Can't comment on the Spanish bands - never heard of any of them, and one act (Cupido) only appear to have just 1 song on Spotify (jobs for the muchachos???).  I'll give it a 6.5/10, as first announcements go.  Add the Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Hinds, Miles Kane, Jorja Smith, Young Fathers, Underworld, Ian Brown, The Streets, Idles, Loyle Carner, George Fitzgerald, and James  to the next announcement, then we've got a festival on our hands!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, andytommo said:

I'm surprised they've gone with Lana as first headliners.  I think this pretty much rules out The Cure, as with them announcing NOS Alive this week, today would be the natural time for them to announce FIB.  I thought that The 1975's were absolute garbage when they played Beni a couple of years ago, mainly as the lead singer bloke was off his tits, but appreciate they are popular (glad that not taking a headline spot).  I'll be giving them a swerve, but it frees up time to see someone else on another stage.  Blossoms are one of my favourite bands of this decade, and I always enjoy seeing them live.  I'm OK with LDR headlining, so long as there are 2 or 3 other decent headliners.  I'd take her over the likes of Travis Scott, Major Lazer, or The Weeknd, all of whom have headlined over the past three years.  Can't comment on the Spanish bands - never heard of any of them, and one act (Cupido) only appear to have just 1 song on Spotify (jobs for the muchachos???).  I'll give it a 6.5/10, as first announcements go.  Add the Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Hinds, Miles Kane, Jorja Smith, Young Fathers, Underworld, Ian Brown, The Streets, Idles, Loyle Carner, George Fitzgerald, and James  to the next announcement, then we've got a festival on our hands!!!

Amazing how opinions differ, I thought they were absolute class if you're referring to 2016. He did seem to drink quite a lot of red wine durng that gig but I thought it was great, particularly given it was a relatively small crowd so being at the front was easy.

It was far better than they were at Glasto that same year put it that way!

5 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Amazing how opinions differ, I thought they were absolute class if you're referring to 2016. He did seem to drink quite a lot of red wine durng that gig but I thought it was great, particularly given it was a relatively small crowd so being at the front was easy.

It was far better than they were at Glasto that same year put it that way!

Yes, went to see them on the Visa stage in 2016.  Gave it 20-25 mins, as I could take some of their songs I'd heard on the radio, and to see what the hype was all about, but left to get a kebab, as I couldn't really take any more.  Was also surprised how few people were watching them. Pale Waves, last year, on the other hand........  It's all about opinions/tastes I guess ? 

Would I be right in saying LDR is a big deal in Spain? (Based on her name being a Spanish translation and the amount of Spanish that seem very happy in the twitter replies)

Maybe that’s why they’ve announced her first? Only a guess though.

Will be a lot happier when AM get announced as the next headliner.

14 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Add the Arctic Monkeys, Tame Impala, Hinds, Miles Kane, Jorja Smith, Young Fathers, Underworld, Ian Brown, The Streets, Idles, Loyle Carner, George Fitzgerald, and James  to the next announcement, then we've got a festival on our hands!!!

Dream on. 

On 11/5/2018 at 3:46 PM, Davidoff said:

Just looking at who could play next year.  There are a few touring and playing festivals around the place that fit the bill.  The Specials have a new album and touring they would be like Madness last year. James, The Courteeners,1975, Cira Waves,Wombats Tom Greenan are all around and one or more could play.  I can see possibly Florence/Munford as Headliners and maybe a dance act in there as well, Swedish House Mafia looking possible. I could also see one from Neol, Dua Lipa, Kendrick and Kasabian.

I do not think Muse will play as in Madrid. The Cure are a good shout but unsure if they would fit the Festival.

Any thoughts.

O well I got one right so far. I seen Lana last year at Sziget and she was possibly the worst act I have ever seen. She spent half her time in the crowd she can sign but never got the crowd going. As for the other two I think that's a good add to the Festival. Blossom are good and I missed them last year so hope to catch them at Benni. 

Fingers crossed for James/Specials/Tom Greenan and The Cure

Just now, Davidoff said:

O well I got one right so far. I seen Lana last year at Sziget and she was possibly the worst act I have ever seen. She spent half her time in the crowd she can sign but never got the crowd going. As for the other two I think that's a good add to the Festival. Blossom are good and I missed them last year so hope to catch them at Benni. 

Fingers crossed for James/Specials/Tom Greenan and The Cure

Always wanted to see James... They only came twice in my country, on the year I was born and during Hellfest 2016. I NEED to see them. 

• Like 1

Can't understand the poor opinion on the line up after last years. 3 solid acts including only one headliner so plenty scope for great names.

James would be an excellent addition, were brilliant at Kendal Calling, as was Tom Grennan and The Amazons. 

Thinking Razorlight could be a good call, new music out, similar to The Kooks announcement last year. 

Will LDR take the Travis Scott slot or The Killers slot? Obviously not a rap act but an American solo act. 

overall i’m happy with the first announcement, two strong undercard acts in my opinion, although lana del rey isn’t someone i listen to i’m sure she appeals to a large majority of the crowd going.. and it can only go up from here for me as i highly doubt they’ll announce a headliner im less interested in seeing than lana del rey.. who is everyone expecting on the undercard this year? i’m hoping for DMA’s

My first time at Beni but and I am massively underwhelmed at these announcements. Granted, not every act is going to be to my taste but you would think they would announce a 'Blow Your Socks Off' act first. This is just all a bit meh!

Hopefully it is followed up with some  'better' acts. We are on a stag do over there and staying in a villa so we will have a wicked time anyway but always better when you have some top acts as well. The likes of James, Ian Brown, Arctics, Underworld etc would go down a treat. Went to IOW last year and that was quality line up. 

2 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

overall i’m happy with the first announcement, two strong undercard acts in my opinion, although lana del rey isn’t someone i listen to i’m sure she appeals to a large majority of the crowd going.. and it can only go up from here for me as i highly doubt they’ll announce a headliner im less interested in seeing than lana del rey.. who is everyone expecting on the undercard this year? i’m hoping for DMA’s

Theyre over this part of the world in June supporting Courteeners. Thats following both a UK tour and home Aussie tour, so could well be on the festival circuit over here. Seem to remember them being at an Aus Festival same time as Beni last year.

3 minutes ago, KH94 said:

Theyre over this part of the world in June supporting Courteeners. Thats following both a UK tour and home Aussie tour, so could well be on the festival circuit over here. Seem to remember them being at an Aus Festival same time as Beni last year.

yeah, thankfully i managed to get tickets for heaton park! so if they’re not announced for Beni i won’t be too disappointed but i would love to see them as many times as possible.. think they played Splendour In The Grass in Aus the time of Beni last year which probably takes them out the running for it this year which up’s the odd’s for beni by a tiny margin

Just me that thinks FIB's twitter is handled a bit weirdly?

As an example they replied to a poll where 60% of people said they wanted Arctic Monkeys with some smirking faces, surely suggesting they will be a headliner? Obviously they're one of the biggest names the festival could get so if they're already booked, why announce Lana first? And if they're not booked, why suggest that they are? 

They also hinted at maybe AM or Muse here 

and another interesting reply was someone who asked for the wombats to be added to the line up - they replied with "noted"

And another here, this person asked for Halsey and they said they're "aiming for it"

I don't know if they're just trying to drive up hype without actually booking any of these artists to try to sell extra early bird tickets, or if they actually have a handful of serious early bookings up their sleeves that they decided to hold back on the announcement today, but it seems like a funny strategy to me. Everyone wants the fans to be listened to, so it's cool in that regard, I just hope they're serious about actually booking some of these artists! (basically I want AM and if we don't get AM I will be annoyed haha)

23 minutes ago, billisBob said:

Just me that thinks FIB's twitter is handled a bit weirdly?

As an example they replied to a poll where 60% of people said they wanted Arctic Monkeys with some smirking faces, surely suggesting they will be a headliner? Obviously they're one of the biggest names the festival could get so if they're already booked, why announce Lana first? And if they're not booked, why suggest that they are? 

They also hinted at maybe AM or Muse here 

and another interesting reply was someone who asked for the wombats to be added to the line up - they replied with "noted"

And another here, this person asked for Halsey and they said they're "aiming for it"

I don't know if they're just trying to drive up hype without actually booking any of these artists to try to sell extra early bird tickets, or if they actually have a handful of serious early bookings up their sleeves that they decided to hold back on the announcement today, but it seems like a funny strategy to me. Everyone wants the fans to be listened to, so it's cool in that regard, I just hope they're serious about actually booking some of these artists! (basically I want AM and if we don't get AM I will be annoyed haha)

When they announce Arctic Monkeys will largely be down to Arctic Monkeys 

• Like 1