Has anyone here ever met Jarvis Cocker of Pulp?

Bananaslug

On 7/7/2021 at 7:12 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

In the clear light of day I can see that that wasn't a bad effort in stretching reality into fantasy. That kind of happens quite a bit after a smoke. So, I'll not change, as I don't intend on giving up smoking. Gets the creative juices flowing. Well, that's my perspective anyway. Others may err towards it being much more of an act of pressing the big red on switch of the 'Utter Shite Generator.

I meant to do this the other day but ended up too busy at work. Anyway, here you go, the THC influenced imaginings of @Yoghurt on a Stick made real: 

image.thumb.png.425336e4fca712a78a14c9774be3a7d1.png

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I meant to do this the other day but ended up too busy at work. Anyway, here you go, the THC influenced imaginings of @Yoghurt on a Stick made real: 

image.thumb.png.425336e4fca712a78a14c9774be3a7d1.png

That is a most credible piece of artwork. I like it - a lot. Thank you once again.

The above said, my recognition as an aficionado within the field of visual art has yet to be ratified - by anyone. As in anyone at all. 

Bastards!

Er? This is a credible piece of artwork.

John Constable - Study of the Trunk of an Elm Tree.

I remember the first time I saw this at the V&A in London. It makes quite an impression on you in the flesh..

EwN3fL8WgAcZgn8?format=jpg

3 hours ago, bamber said:

Er? This is a credible piece of artwork.

John Constable - Study of the Trunk of an Elm Tree.

I remember the first time I saw this at the V&A in London. It makes quite an impression on you in the flesh..

EwN3fL8WgAcZgn8?format=jpg

Please don’t be disparaging about my ‘art’ 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bamber said:

Jan Asselijn - The Threatened Swan 

Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.

Again. Very impressive in the flesh.

image.png.69e6a76c19cfb61de4ccb3e412ed243f.png

This on the other hand, may be the most underwhelming piece of artwork I’ve ever seen on the flesh: 

image.thumb.jpeg.0334ce630e525c89532f842c03c44006.jpeg  

Looking at it from 12 yards away, behind a crowd of tourists, obviously doesn’t do it justice but I’m not sure I’d have understood the hype anyway. 

On 7/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello sameimpala,

Oh come on - you can't leave it there and us all wondering! lol Oh go on, give us the details - if it's OK to do so, that is?

I was in Sheffield visiting a uni friend and we were all joking like 'what if we meet alex turner or jarvis lol' and then we got off a train, walked to a pub near my friends accommodation and jarvis was literally stood outside the pub taking a photo of some art of himself on the side of it. 

DD83A8F8-7275-4E11-A362-C9B8EC81E132.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:03 AM, blutarsky said:

This on the other hand, may be the most underwhelming piece of artwork I’ve ever seen on the flesh: 

Looking at it from 12 yards away, behind a crowd of tourists, obviously doesn’t do it justice but I’m not sure I’d have understood the hype anyway. 

Precisely my experience of it too. I was so excited to visit The Louvre. It was so underwhelming, particularly the Mona Lisa with 100's of rude tourists pushing past to get a photo.

Im sure it's beautiful to see up close.

The Dali museum however.... immense!!!

1 hour ago, sameimpala said:

I was in Sheffield visiting a uni friend and we were all joking like 'what if we meet alex turner or jarvis lol' and then we got off a train, walked to a pub near my friends accommodation and jarvis was literally stood outside the pub taking a photo of some art of himself on the side of it. 

DD83A8F8-7275-4E11-A362-C9B8EC81E132.jpeg

Thanks for responding. What a fab moment to have witnessed. It's bizarre on many levels.

I once had a drunken chat with a drunken Roland gift one night in a pub in Moseley, in Birmingham, that lasted well over an hour. I would say something like 'urghh, I'm dying', and he would respond with 'urghh, I'm dying'. If memory serves me right it was early Sunday evening of an August Bank Holiday. I knew that I had every reason to feel a little 'disassociated with the world, having started the session on the Friday evening. It would appear that Mr. Gift had done the very same. 

And then the two female friends that I was waiting for came into the pub. Then there was more chat. then my two female friends sort of dragged him out of the pub and at least one of them shagged him. and I really do think it was that way around.

34 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Precisely my experience of it too. I was so excited to visit The Louvre. It was so underwhelming, particularly the Mona Lisa with 100's of rude tourists pushing past to get a photo.

Im sure it's beautiful to see up close.

The Dali museum however.... immense!!!

I'll be brief. One of my brothers was living in Madrid. me and my mates went over to see him. He had got in a shit load of military grade coke. We went on the piss. I ended up in a museum looking more at the people in front of the painting Guernica by Picasso. Some of them had even brought their own seating to sit in front of it and stare / study it. Then one bloke sitting down framed his two hands so that it would resemble  what he would see (presumably anyway) if he were to film it / or get another type of perspective. Oh, I don't know about all that. What I do know is that there was me, my mate, and about 15 people in front of us, and I started laughing like a hyena. It was just too funny - in my opinion - which, admittedly, may or may not have resembled majority consensus opinion.

And then I went to an art exhibition in the middle of a park. It was a photographic and written homage to the life of a lady of the slums. That was their definition. They may even have said Princess of the slums. can't quite recall. Anyway, she must have been some character as her friends had put the exhibition on for her. I think a fair few of them were actually there too at the time. it was the impression i got anyway.

Well, I didn't laugh at that exhibition. It is, without doubt, the strongest and most harsh 'art / homage' that I have ever witnessed. this was a million years ago, but travels with me still to this day.

PS - I once went to a Dali exhibition in Venice (how pretentious does that sound!?) and witnessed a bloke with a rucksack turn around to talk to somebody, and hit one of the original Dali exhibits and sent it rocking backwards and forwards. Both myself and one of the staff lunged at the rocking Dali piece to stop it from quivering around. The lady staff member got there first. Then people started berating the bloke with the rucksack and he just shrugged his shoulders. Quite a funny response, on reflection. I can not recall seeing the funny side at the time though.

53 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'll be brief. One of my brothers was living in Madrid. me and my mates went over to see him. He had got in a shit load of military grade coke. We went on the piss. I ended up in a museum looking more at the people in front of the painting Guernica by Picasso. Some of them had even brought their own seating to sit in front of it and stare / study it. Then one bloke sitting down framed his two hands so that it would resemble  what he would see (presumably anyway) if he were to film it / or get another type of perspective. Oh, I don't know about all that. What I do know is that there was me, my mate, and about 15 people in front of us, and I started laughing like a hyena. It was just too funny - in my opinion - which, admittedly, may or may not have resembled majority consensus opinion.

And then I went to an art exhibition in the middle of a park. It was a photographic and written homage to the life of a lady of the slums. That was their definition. They may even have said Princess of the slums. can't quite recall. Anyway, she must have been some character as her friends had put the exhibition on for her. I think a fair few of them were actually there too at the time. it was the impression i got anyway.

Well, I didn't laugh at that exhibition. It is, without doubt, the strongest and most harsh 'art / homage' that I have ever witnessed. this was a million years ago, but travels with me still to this day.

PS - I once went to a Dali exhibition in Venice (how pretentious does that sound!?) and witnessed a bloke with a rucksack turn around to talk to somebody, and hit one of the original Dali exhibits and sent it rocking backwards and forwards. Both myself and one of the staff lunged at the rocking Dali piece to stop it from quivering around. The lady staff member got there first. Then people started berating the bloke with the rucksack and he just shrugged his shoulders. Quite a funny response, on reflection. I can not recall seeing the funny side at the time though.

I’ve been thinking for a while now that this might be my favourite “ topic “ round here so glad to see it still going strong and top of the page 👍

For the near decade I’ve been on here I’ve always enjoyed your posts sir. Your memoirs would be well worth a read 😀

Anywayz, I’ve just realised that your posts might have a hint of Catcher in the Rye about them. Please take that as a compliment as it is an old favourite of mine.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Edit: I’ve yet to meet Jarvis Cocker of Pulp.

Edited by Comfy Bean
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

I’ve been thinking for a while now that this might be my favourite “ topic “ round here so glad to see it still going strong and top of the page 👍

For the near decade I’ve been on here I’ve always enjoyed your posts sir. Your memoirs would be well worth a read 😀

Anywayz, I’ve just realised that your posts might have a hint of Catcher in the Rye about them. Please take that as a compliment as it is an old favourite of mine.

Take care and keep up the good work.

Edit: I’ve yet to meet Jarvis Cocker of Pulp.

Hello Comfy Bean,

Thank you for your kind post. It has reminded me that I have also been on here for nearly a decade. I'm not sure what to make of that. Anyway, I think my memoir is actually written among my posts. The truth of the matter is that I can't remember what it is that I did 10 minutes ago. I need triggers to remind me of events. I tend to get those triggers on this site and so I just say what happened. Obviously in some instances I will veer off away from fact into fiction, but I assume* that everybody can understand when this is happening.

I made a note recently to try to retrieve my life from my posts on here, and put them into a chronological order. I have been told before that it would be worth writing down in a memoir. Maybe I will. Maybe i already have ie. it's on here. Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm just having my first G & T of the day. A little early for some, but this is the start of my weekend, so why not, I say to myself.

It's nice and sunny here. hope it is where you are too, and that you have a lovely day today.

* Assumption - the Mother of all Fuck ups.

• Upvote 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:03 AM, blutarsky said:

Overrated to my eyes too.

Edited by bamber

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Comfy Bean,

Thank you for your kind post. It has reminded me that I have also been on here for nearly a decade. I'm not sure what to make of that. Anyway, I think my memoir is actually written among my posts. The truth of the matter is that I can't remember what it is that I did 10 minutes ago. I need triggers to remind me of events. I tend to get those triggers on this site and so I just say what happened. Obviously in some instances I will veer off away from fact into fiction, but I assume* that everybody can understand when this is happening.

I made a note recently to try to retrieve my life from my posts on here, and put them into a chronological order. I have been told before that it would be worth writing down in a memoir. Maybe I will. Maybe i already have ie. it's on here. Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm just having my first G & T of the day. A little early for some, but this is the start of my weekend, so why not, I say to myself.

It's nice and sunny here. hope it is where you are too, and that you have a lovely day today.

* Assumption - the Mother of all Fuck ups.

If you've been here a decade, I guess I've have been too. Always somehow understated, I allways Love your long postings here.

Bamber X.

This not to your taste I'm guessing, but it is apt I think nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, bamber said:

If you've been here a decade, I guess I've have been too. Always somehow understated, I allways Love your long postings here.

Bamber X.

This not to your taste I'm guessing, but it is apt I think nonetheless. 

Hello Bamber,

You've been on here longer than me. Well, at least your details would imply that - it says you first registered on here in 2007. I may be wrong here but that's ringing bells as a very muddy Glastonbury year. However, my ability to remember the combination of events and dates is not exactly up to speed. it would appear, to me at least, that I may have compromised some of my own brain's capacity to function. 

That's pleasing to hear that you like reading my long posts. Very pleasing. Thank you. I am now tempted to run amok in the garden shouting the fact that Bamber like's my posts. I shall try to curtail my actions, but am not promising anything. I'm old enough now to know the meaning of 'never say never'.

I've had a brief listen to that track. It would be accurate to say that Jessie J has a very fine voice, and is a powerful master of that voice. However, something doesn't click with me on that track. I was tempted to say that it was something along the lines of tempo, but on reflection I'm not sure that's accurate. Let's face it, musical taste is subjective. So, as the old adage / quote goes;

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

Hope you are having a cracking weekend, wherever you are (I do wonder about that sometimes).

All the best. Or even 'All the besht' as they would say in Kerry.

Yog.

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Bamber,

You've been on here longer than me. Well, at least your details would imply that - it says you first registered on here in 2007. I may be wrong here but that's ringing bells as a very muddy Glastonbury year. However, my ability to remember the combination of events and dates is not exactly up to speed. it would appear, to me at least, that I may have compromised some of my own brain's capacity to function. 

That's pleasing to hear that you like reading my long posts. Very pleasing. Thank you. I am now tempted to run amok in the garden shouting the fact that Bamber like's my posts. I shall try to curtail my actions, but am not promising anything. I'm old enough now to know the meaning of 'never say never'.

I've had a brief listen to that track. It would be accurate to say that Jessie J has a very fine voice, and is a powerful master of that voice. However, something doesn't click with me on that track. I was tempted to say that it was something along the lines of tempo, but on reflection I'm not sure that's accurate. Let's face it, musical taste is subjective. So, as the old adage / quote goes;

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

Hope you are having a cracking weekend, wherever you are (I do wonder about that sometimes).

All the best. Or even 'All the besht' as they would say in Kerry.

Yog.

It is indeed a powerful thing, Jessie's voice, it is not for everyone. I do so love it though, For time. Long live this place.

I never met Jarvis Cocker, though I did see him in the crowd at the Park, Glastonbury once. I also stood next to Guy Garvey there once too, I forget the band we were watching. I did once meet Edwina Currie, Alesha Dixon (and the whole of Mystique in fact) ,Alexie Sale and John Taylor (of of Duran Duran) and Youth from Killing Joke. I was in school with Haggis, the bass player with 'The Cult' I hung out with Tom Carroll (former world surfing champion (and massive meth head) and I drunk a bottle of wine with Simon Anderson (inventor of the tri-fin surfboard). I stopped my mate from assaulting Denzil Davies (former MP for Llanelli (Labour)) on a rush hour train from Paddington once too. I also snogged Cerys Mathews when we were both very young. I sat directly in front of Stephen Fry at the preview of the play 'Gasping' by Ben Elton - staring Hue Laurie. I've mentioned all this before here.

I mention all this for no particular reason.

I love Waves, Art and Female voices, in that order.

I never met Tom Curren, Tom Carrol's main adversary in the 80s, but he recently made a film called Free Scrubber which is one of my favourite films of all time. Here it is.

Edited by bamber

1 hour ago, bamber said:

It is indeed a powerful thing, Jessie's voice, it is not for everyone. I do so love it though, For time. Long live this place.

I recognise that having a beautiful singing voice is a gift. From where that gift comes from I know not. Perhaps it could be boiled down to pure biology. No, just realised that would only satisfy the vocal range requirement. It would do nothing to the heart and soul put into a piece of singing. I was watching and listening to this piece last night (see below). Now that's fucking raw. Beautifully raw.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recognise that having a beautiful singing voice is a gift. From where that gift comes from I know not. Perhaps it could be boiled down to pure biology. No, just realised that would only satisfy the vocal range requirement. It would do nothing to the heart and soul put into a piece of singing. I was watching and listening to this piece last night (see below). Now that's fucking raw. Beautifully raw.

I think Jessie and Gnarls (and few others) have something in common, that thing is Timbre. The fundamental quality given to a sound by its overtones. It is difficult to pinpoint and, in the end, impossible to define, but it is a thing that I believe in and seek endlessly, Timbre.

Bamber X

Edited by bamber

4 minutes ago, bamber said:

I think Jessie and Gnarls (and few others) have something in common, that thing is Timbre. The fundamental quality given to a sound by its overtones. It is difficult to pinpoint and, in the end, impossible to define, but it is a thing that I believe in and seek endlessly, Timbre.

Bamber X

I have just looked up the definition of 'timbre'. I wasn't aware of it's meaning in that context before. I had always only known it to describe a type of character. I should imagine that timbre equates to heart and soul. I don't mean 'heart and soul' in terms of gusto. It means that the operators of voice boxes are able to add to their voice. 

The above said, there's that element of je ne sais quoi which will never reveal its secrets to human scrutiny.

Now I'm going to take a fucking liberty and post this. it's the passion that get me with this one.

1 hour ago, bamber said:

I never met Jarvis Cocker, though I did see him in the crowd at the Park, Glastonbury once. I also stood next to Guy Garvey there once too, I forget the band we were watching. I did once meet Edwina Currie, Alesha Dixon (and the whole of Mystique in fact) ,Alexie Sale and John Taylor (of of Duran Duran) and Youth from Killing Joke. I was in school with Haggis, the bass player with 'The Cult' I hung out with Tom Carroll (former world surfing champion (and massive meth head) and I drunk a bottle of wine with Simon Anderson (inventor of the tri-fin surfboard). I stopped my mate from assaulting Denzil Davies (former MP for Llanelli (Labour)) on a rush hour train from Paddington once too. I also snogged Cerys Mathews when we were both very young. I sat directly in front of Stephen Fry at the preview of the play 'Gasping' by Ben Elton - staring Hue Laurie. I've mentioned all this before here.

I mention all this for no particular reason.

I love Waves, Art and Female;e voices, in that order.

I never met Tom Curren, Tom Carrol's main adversary in the 80s, but he recently made a film called Free Scrubber which is one of my favourite films of all time. Here it is.

It is the same with surfing. Curren has Timbre, that fundamental quality given to a ride by its overtones. Imposable to define, possessed by very few.