Primavera Sound 2019

Runnerups

2 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Right about the hip-hop. Expected something in the level of Kendrick/Paak/Gambino, not these names.

Pusha T is cool though, and puts a good show

Really dissapointed that there´s no Brockhampton or Earl in there, also the likes of Saba of Noname are missing.

Kids See Ghosts/Kendrick with change drastically this lineup.

Also I would swap Future with Travis Scott.

I can see why some of you can be disappointed. From my own perspective (personal music taste) it's a great line up. Some special and different /diverse acts that we won't see in any other festival. No great headliners this time, but I rarely get to see more than one or two mordor gigs usually. It depends, but I always enjoy the undercards. I arrive on Tuesday and go back home on the next Monday. I love Primavera a la ciutat, and the closing Apolo show. If possible, Prima is to enjoy in its entirety. I really like Adidas and Pro stage shows, saw great gems there.

I think that having big names to headline helps also selling tickets faster and this time maybe they won't sell out very fast tho... 

I'll always remember standing for 2hrs when Arcade Fire headlined a few years back & missing Bo Ningen & Charles Bradley - the Arcade Fire show was meh & I regret missing those smaller acts on the better stages - this line up is diverse & represents what makes Primavera great - so much new stuff to discover on that undercard - give me that over the headliners.

The Saturday lineup is actually really strong for me - Stereolab, Primal Scream, James Blake, Roisin Murphy, Richie Hawtin and Pusha T are quality bookings. Jarvis Cocker and Neneh Cherry are great as well. It's the fact that J Balvin is a headliner on this day which bothers me when he has had less of an impact overall apart from YouTube views.

Edited by Mau5

28 minutes ago, Albinoss said:

I can see why some of you can be disappointed. From my own perspective (personal music taste) it's a great line up. Some special and different /diverse acts that we won't see in any other festival. No great headliners this time, but I rarely get to see more than one or two mordor gigs usually. It depends, but I always enjoy the undercards. I arrive on Tuesday and go back home on the next Monday. I love Primavera a la ciutat, and the closing Apolo show. If possible, Prima is to enjoy in its entirety. I really like Adidas and Pro stage shows, saw great gems there.

I think that having big names to headline helps also selling tickets faster and this time maybe they won't sell out very fast tho... 

When do you think they are going to sell out? March?

Personally, one of the best lineups I’ve seen in years. A great diversity of genres and styles and really nice to see influences from around the world (seriously the Japanese contingent on the bill is fabulous). Not too fussed about the headliners generally, never been a thing that stands out for me at Primavera. Most of my favourite acts have been away from those top slots but I think the artists they have got this year for the top billing are really diverse. I find them much more interesting than the same pool of 20 or so guitar bands that are always doing the rounds at Europe’s festivals. Ultimately if you want to see The Cure or Vampire Weekend or someone similar there will be a ton of festivals worldwide with that kind of billing but find me another festival with the scope of having the likes of Yaeji, Nas, Carcass and Charli XCX all playing on the same day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, livenstu said:

I'll always remember standing for 2hrs when Arcade Fire headlined a few years back & missing Bo Ningen & Charles Bradley - the Arcade Fire show was meh & I regret missing those smaller acts on the better stages - this line up is diverse & represents what makes Primavera great - so much new stuff to discover on that undercard - give me that over the headliners.

i get your point man, and i generally agree with the attitude, but your example is not successful at all. You refer to 2014 edition, the huge come back of AF, with one masterpiece in my opinion (Reflektor). It was fuckin crowded and i understand if you hadnt enjoyed the show. But now instead of AF-type bands, we have Cardi B, Future, J Balvin and Rosalia for the main stages. I think these artists will attract a totally different crowd.

Btw Rosalia was amazing in 2017 edition, she filled Auditori early in the afternoon and i really enjoyed her modern flamenco. I couldn't imagine that she will be a headliner and play at main stages 2 years later though.

Generally, this 50-50 thing, will probably be a trap for the organisers. The way they promote it, as the new normal, show that they are committed to it, for the next editions as well.

Edited by cortomaltese
additions

6 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

huge majority of negative comments on fbk tells me that world still havent gone totally crazy....this is disaster of line up and they sure will suffer financially and that will have reflection on next year line up...so yeah this is new normal

To be honest, I expected not to be going this year, the direction of travel beginning with the Radiohead year, has been fewer and fewer interesting acts each  year. However, there are enough wow factor acts this year to make it worthwhile, so I've just bought a ticket. 

I probably wouldn't get to see all of  Stereolab, Guided By Voices, Liz Phair this year otherwise. 

Love this lineup. So much depth across loads of genres. Christine & The Queens/Kali Uchis/Erykah Badu/Robyn/Janelle Monae/Empress Of/SOPHIE/FKA Twigs/Peggy Gou are all female acts I've been looking forward to seeing but just haven't had chance yet, so I'm really happy they've made what looks like a conscious effort to book more female acts.

I'm not gonna be able to afford to book this until about Feb/March so it's another bonus for me that lots of people seem not too interested in the lineup.

10 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

And almost all of the r&b, rap, hiphop artists are shit, I mean Cardi B, J Balvin, Future? I like the new direction because hip hop and r&b are my favorite genres of music but I don´t like those artists, I expected far more diversity and far more hip hop but it´s ok.

10 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Right about the hip-hop. Expected something in the level of Kendrick/Paak/Gambino, not these names.

Pusha T is cool though, and puts a good show

Put some respek on NAS' name.

Edited by ConorC

6 minutes ago, duckula said:

Danny Brown and JPEGMAFIA are going to be nuts.

Danny Brown has been great whenever I've seen him. One of my mates dislocated his shoulder when we watched him at WHP.

I've only recently got into JPEGMAFIA, dunno what his live shows are like but I'd expect it to be energetic to say the least based on his music.

2 hours ago, cortomaltese said:

i get your point man, and i generally agree with the attitude, but your example is not successful at all. You refer to 2014 edition, the huge come back of AF, with one masterpiece in my opinion (Reflektor). It was fuckin crowded and i understand if you hadnt enjoyed the show. But now instead of AF-type bands, we have Cardi B, Future, J Balvin and Rosalia for the main stages. I think these artists will attract a totally different crowd.

Btw Rosalia was amazing in 2017 edition, she filled Auditori early in the afternoon and i really enjoyed her modern flamenco. I couldn't imagine that she will be a headliner and play at main stages 2 years later though.

Generally, this 50-50 thing, will probably be a trap for the organisers. The way they promote it, as the new normal, show that they are committed to it, for the next editions as well.

'But now instead of AF-type bands, we have Cardi B, Future, J Balvin and Rosalia for the main stages. I think these artists will attract a totally different crowd.' 

- I don't see this as a bad thing, AF type bands is what other festivals get bogged down in & just repeat the same old line up year in & year out.  Primavera constantly changes things up & this line up is the proof.

13 hours ago, Nimrod said:

Big Thief, Soccer Mommy, Dream Wife, Yaeji, Julien Baker, Dirty Projectors, Lucy Dacus, Snail Mail, Aldous Harding, Loyle Carner, Boy Pablo, Miya Folick, The Beths

Aldous is one of my favorite artists of the last few years, Dirty projectors I rate. Snail Mail and Soccer Mommy sound pretty bland to me at first listen but I will go a bit deeper with both I think. Yaeji does not sound for me at all from what I've heard or Loyle Carner. The rest I'll try out. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, livenstu said:

'But now instead of AF-type bands, we have Cardi B, Future, J Balvin and Rosalia for the main stages. I think these artists will attract a totally different crowd.' 

- I don't see this as a bad thing, AF type bands is what other festivals get bogged down in & just repeat the same old line up year in & year out.  Primavera constantly changes things up & this line up is the proof.

Hmm, not sure if I'd agree with the statement 'Primavera constantly changes things up'.

Just because they have added more dance and hip-hop in recent years, it's still been predominantly indie for the last nearly 20 years.

• Upvote 1