Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Oliver is a shit ref for the most part, make no mistake about it. Didn't book Ronaldo for taking his shirt off (stupid rule I know but pick and choose?) but happy to follow the rules for dissent re Buffon.

The major talking point though, he got right so fair play.

Pretty sure he did book Ronaldo...

The general lack of respect referee's get is disgusting. Needs to be stamped out the game.

Buffon deserved that red. Very aggressive and no need for it. I think a couple other Juve players could have been booked as well. 

Let's stop describing ref's as 'worms' just because they make a decision you don't like. 

20 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

On a brighter note, that Juve vs Real game was a classic. Juve messing a champions league comeback up right at the end brought back some bad memories as an Arsenal fan.  

Aye, really enjoyed the game last night. Annoyed at the penalty but only because it robbed us of the extra half hour. 

Hope for your sake you haven’t tempted fate talking about Arsenal, bad memories and comebacks :-)

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

No need for qualifying if that was the case.

The changes they are proposing would still mean the vast majority of world teams don't qualify.

FIFA can say no to the request, but I think the federation have every right to make the request. They are representing their members which I don't see as a terrible thing.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

The changes they are proposing would still mean the vast majority of world teams don't qualify.

FIFA can say no to the request, but I think the federation have every right to make the request. They are representing their members which I don't see as a terrible thing.

Is that more of you being Welsh than it actually being a good idea?

6 minutes ago, thetime said:

Is that more of you being Welsh than it actually being a good idea?

I think whether it would improve the competition is a separate argument. I don't think the federations responsibility is to ensure the "integrity" of the competition, it's to represent the interests of their members. I have no issue if people choose to blame FIFA because they don't like the proposal, but I think it's hard to blame individual federations looking after their members.

I fully admit that I support an increase in teams as it's better for Wales (and other smaller nations. I also qualify that by saying I love the world cup and the more matches the better. Some of my favorite matches in the last world cup were those 11pm clashes between the less glamorous teams. Many of the worst matches are between the bigger teams.

23 hours ago, jyoung said:

Out of interest are any people against safe standing? I know the Hillsborough families are, but haven’t heard many fans in agreement with them.Tracy Crouch sports minister claims it is only supported by a vocal minority, I am interested to see her evidence.

Edited by pink_triangle

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Out of interest are any people against safe standing? I know the Hillsborough families are, but haven’t heard many fans in agreement with them.Tracy Crouch sports minister claims it is only supported by a vocal minority, I am interested to see her evidence.

All the stuff I've seen on Twitter suggests that even those who don't want to stand, want safe standing installed so that there is an actual section for it.

I'm all for it and I reckon safe standing is probably a whole lot safer than the standard seating. Some of these stadiums have such steep stands, you could easily go arse over tit celebrating a goal. I think match day fans deserve it. 

It's so true that the Europa League is a meaningless competition unless your team is in it in the latter stages. I genuinely am praying that Wenger wins it - he's never won a European trophy and let' be honest Europa league is definitely our level. Not too fussed about the draw as I am assuming we will need to beat Atletico at some point in order to win it. Just whether you fancy your chances over 1 or 2 legs more.