Football 17/18

TheGayTent

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

there were plenty of players at the time saying 'who', too. But yeah, i'm sure there were those who knew of him as well.

And I agree, the world has changed - changed to where a coach like Buvac would get a similar reaction today. (Which was more my point than trying to say no one knew of wenger).

It’s a very British thing - the Premier League being the best league in all the world....

20 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Apologies, that last post was in response to this post. 

The football world knew all about Wenger, the fan on the street knew less that’s for sure. There were less fans on the street back then. 

Imagine if they had Arsenal Fan TV in 1995.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Indeed, kept Boro up and took them to a European final, won the Dutch league with an unfancied club, convinced Mike Ashley to hire him...

Put on that dodgy Dutch accent.

The list of achievements goes on...

30 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Is it? 

Or are you assuming that’s so because you’re British and can’t comprehend an alternate view?

care to tell me an army that tells it troops "you're not very good, the other army is better (so you're going to die)"? :P

All countries run with that, as well as many lesser versions of that one.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

care to tell me an army that tells it troops "you're not very good, the other army is better (so you're going to die)"? :P

All countries run with that, as well as many lesser versions of that one.

What’s that got to do with the price of fish? :blink:

Owen Hargreaves is pathetic. I know he played for Bayern and isn't a natural but to cry off about Madrid for the whole game is embarrassing. Saying Bayern deserved to go through?! Bollocks. They didn't score enough goals to win either game. Can't stand it when people go on like that. Shut up and take it you saddo.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Armchair experts now will have heard of the modern day Arsene’s because they watch Ligue 1 on their 58” screen whereas they didn’t use to have a subscription to World Soccer.  

I can't get my head around the tone of this sentence - are you annoyed that people watch more football now? or annoyed they watch it on a big tv? are you even annoyed at all?

So many questions.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, thetime said:

Pundits are a going over the top on Madrid being lucky being in the final. They’ve played spurs and Dortmund in the groups and PSG, Juventus, Munich in the knock outs.

they were defo lucky last night night, being gifted a goal by a clearly better team.

I spent the whole match thinking that Liverpool would rip either of those teams apart going forwards (tho might get ripped themselves in the other direction).

10 hours ago, mjsell said:

I can't get my head around the tone of this sentence - are you annoyed that people watch more football now? or annoyed they watch it on a big tv? are you even annoyed at all?

So many questions.

I was merely highlighting the difference between then and now, and pointing out that today’s average football fan has more knowledge of Ligue 1 managers than they did in 1995. 

Madrid are nailed on favourites for the final. Yes they have weaknesses in defence (I read that have conceded 10 more major chances than any other team in the CL this season - 2.4 a game I believe it was) but they've had those same weaknesses for the last 5 years and they've won 4 European Cups in that time.

The opportunity is there for Liverpool or Roma to attack them but the only way either of those teams beat Madrid is if they are absolutely perfect on the day. Madrid just have this knack for winning things even when they aren't at their best.

23 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Madrid are nailed on favourites for the final. Yes they have weaknesses in defence (I read that have conceded 10 more major chances than any other team in the CL this season - 2.4 a game I believe it was) but they've had those same weaknesses for the last 5 years and they've won 4 European Cups in that time.

The opportunity is there for Liverpool or Roma to attack them but the only way either of those teams beat Madrid is if they are absolutely perfect on the day. Madrid just have this knack for winning things even when they aren't at their best.

They're miles off the team they've been for the last few years though. I've watched them play maybe 20 times this season in the league. 15 points off a not as great Barca team and they've conceded 37 in La Liga in 34 games. 

They're still monsters in Europe of course but Id have Liverpool as favourites with that front 3. They were very very lucky to go through against Bayern. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

They're miles off the team they've been for the last few years though. I've watched them play maybe 20 times this season in the league. 15 points off a not as great Barca team and they've conceded 37 in La Liga in 34 games. 

They're still monsters in Europe of course but Id have Liverpool as favourites with that front 3. They were very very lucky to go through against Bayern. 

Liverpool haven't been great in the league either. Madrid are pretty strong favourites and I'm sure the odds will reflect that.

Still setting up to he a great spectacle and Liverpool have a great chance.

33 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Liverpool haven't been great in the league either. Madrid are pretty strong favourites and I'm sure the odds will reflect that.

Still setting up to he a great spectacle and Liverpool have a great chance.

Tactically Madrid won’t make the huge mistake Roma made in the first leg.