Liam Fray slams classist snobs who criticise northern fans

Alan_C

19 hours ago, eastynh said:

Why do Massive Attack play massive events then in Bristol and down south but play academies up north then? That is just one example of the top of my head. 

I'm not claiming that anywhere in the south is immune from it, but it doesn't happen to the same extent.

And in the case of Massive, while they did a big 'hometown' show, it wasn't one of many hometown shows, it was one in place of Bristol having been omitted entirely from their recent tours.

Edited by eFestivals

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/11/2016 at 6:32 PM, Spindles said:

Beautifully put.

This innit.  

There has always been a tendency by society at large to demonise the poor as well, labels make that easy (like Chav, remember that one that is now dropping out of fashion?  Originally a word referring to a particular 'lad' archetype that existed in urban areas but eventually dragged out to cover anyone who was young and seen as being below the middle classes).  I don't think you can particularly blame the media either, this sort of thing was going on in the last couple of centuries at least.

Is 'lad' culture mostly the preserve of the poor?? I'd define lad culture - when it comes to gigs, at least - as throwing wee in plastic cups and starting fights for no apparent reason, more to do with someone's intellect than their economic background

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Is 'lad' culture mostly the preserve of the poor?? I'd define lad culture - when it comes to gigs, at least - as throwing wee in plastic cups and starting fights for no apparent reason, more to do with someone's intellect than their economic background

I agree. 'Lads' are not defined by lack of wealth. Stock brokers, estate agents and other ghastly professions like that are full of 'lads', and fat salaries.

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

First post, Courteeners are shit. Not 'cause they're from Manc but because they are shit...

Inversely they could be shit because they're from Manchester - you'd imagine growing up in Manchester surrounded by talk of Oasis/Stone Roses/James etc achieving gargantuan success with plodding MOR guitar 'rock' will have inspired them to follow the path they have rather than try a bit harder. But they aren't seen as shit because they're from Manchester.

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Inversely they could be shit because they're from Manchester - you'd imagine growing up in Manchester surrounded by talk of Oasis/Stone Roses/James etc achieving gargantuan success with plodding MOR guitar 'rock' will have inspired them to follow the path they have rather than try a bit harder. But they aren't seen as shit because they're from Manchester.

Are you saying they aren't seen as shit? Or that they are seen as shit, but for a reason other than because they're from Manchester? Or something else.

Either way, let me set the record straight. They are shit, for reasons unrelated to their originating region and in this sample of 1(me), they are seen as shit due to their musical output.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are you saying they aren't seen as shit? Or that they are seen as shit, but for a reason other than because they're from Manchester? Or something else.

Either way, let me set the record straight. They are shit, for reasons unrelated to their originating region and in this sample of 1(me), they are seen as shit due to their musical output.

They're seen as shit because of their musical output. And their musical output is shit because they're from Manchester. Their musical output isn't seen as shit because they're from Manchester, but it is shit because they're from Manchester. Which is not to say that all bands from Manchester are shit, but being from Manchester will have leered the Courteeners down the path of being shit.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

They're seen as shit because of their musical output. And their musical output is shit because they're from Manchester. Their musical output isn't seen as shit because they're from Manchester, but it is shit because they're from Manchester. Which is not to say that all bands from Manchester are shit, but being from Manchester will have leered the Courteeners down the path of being shit.

My brain hurts :)

Just now, Zac Quinn said:

Okay. But would they have been so keen to become a dreary Oasis-lite MOR band if they hadn't been from Manchester?

Maybe their success in that genre is related, I'll give you that, no more. Every region has shit music to draw inspiration from. Manchester has plenty of good music for inspiration. 

On 04/11/2016 at 10:05 AM, MadScientist said:

I think we live in a time where classism is becoming more and more prevalent. Working class culture as a whole is under attack from Tory cynicism and the music is just part of that. I've heard people refer to the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Courteeners etc as "chav rock" which I think demonstrates the classist undertone of it. 

Sorry to dig up this old comment, but I was reading through the thread and saw this.

I really agree with you here, when I went to see Arctic Monkeys at Reading a couple of years ago (yes, I know, judge me :lol:) my friends started pulling slightly shocked expressions, I asked them what was up and apparently the guy behind me had been describing my voice as really chavy and making other classist remarks, it just goes to show how someone could like a band such as Arctic Monkeys who's early stuff is deeply routed in working class culture but then be completely ignorant and snobby. 

Thankfully the guy was tiny and I'm over 6 foot, so I just blocked his view for the remainder of the gig for being an arsehole.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Okay. But would they have been so keen to become a dreary MOR Oasis-lite band if they hadn't been from Manchester?

I was always under the impression that The Courteeners were more like the Roses than Oasis.

These sound and look far more like Oasis and they are from Australia.

Edited by eastynh

7 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Lad isn't, Chav is.  As I'd said, I was referring to the use of one archetype within "lads" to then be used to cover a wider group, rather than stating what you seem to suggest, which was in context to the post I was responding to.

18 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

So I just got back from seeing this lot in Bristol and like it or not they really do have this generation by the bollocks. Absolutely loved it.

Brixton was brilliant on Saturday night too! The crowd are always up for it no matter where they play.