Phil Collins comeback after 10year hiatus

Uh-Oh!

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Opposite for me, the thought of these c**ts playing (not Glastonbury, just anywhere) enraged me so much that I couldn't sleep.

Pure fucking injustice that these fuckers are living high on the hog while Jeff Lewis, Mark Eitzel, John Murry etc have to scrape and crawl their ways through the lower sewers of the music industry.

Good call, John Murry, first time ive seen him mentioned here. I'd love to see him at Glastonbury. Shall we start a thread?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Whether great or not I'd still prefer to Diana Ross. She feels like someone I couldn't miss if I was there but not hugely bothered by either.

I'm sure Neil heard something about him at BST/IOW so wouldn't be surprised by IOW.

IOW unfeasible due to dates of London and Cologne shows. Glastonbury or BST I'd reckon. 

When's latitude? Be a popular booking there...

13 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

IOW unfeasible due to dates of London and Cologne shows. Glastonbury or BST I'd reckon. 

When's latitude? Be a popular booking there...

Oh I didn't know that. Hmm, Glasto is quite possible. I'm not sure he'd announce RAH shows then do a BST show which wouldn't sell out anywhere near as fast. For making a comeback, obviously yes money is in there but a Glasto show can do a lot for him.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Oh I didn't know that. Hmm, Glasto is quite possible. I'm not sure he'd announce RAH shows then do a BST show which wouldn't sell out anywhere near as fast. For making a comeback, obviously yes money is in there but a Glasto show can do a lot for him.

Glastonbury does a lot of good for artists - look at the sales ELO generated for the greatest hits album this year. Slow burner that's done pretty well. He may not have been popular in the field, but everyone I know who watched Jeff Lynne on the box raved about him.

OK, so you get fifteen songs or so? Here goes...

1. Sussudio
2. Two Hearts
3. Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)
4. Don't Lose My Number
5. Seperate Lives
6. Something Happened On the Way to Heaven
7. A Groovy Kind of Love
8. True Colors
9. I Wish It Would Rain Down
10. Another Day In Paradise
11. You Can't Hurry Love
12. Land of Confusion
13. In the Air Tonight
14. Easy Lover
15. Take Me Home

Can't abide Sussudio much, even as a Phil Collins fan, and nor am I a fan of You'll Be in My Heart. But the former is a lock, and I've elected to toss the other out for I Wish It Would Rain Down, one of two songs there not played on his farewell tour. (The other is Genesis's Land of Confusion, which he played at one of his recent charity shows, so tossing that in there as perhaps a throwback song. Be great if he did it.)

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Glastonbury does a lot of good for artists - look at the sales ELO generated for the greatest hits album this year. Slow burner that's done pretty well. He may not have been popular in the field, but everyone I know who watched Jeff Lynne on the box raved about him.

OK, so you get fifteen songs or so? Here goes...

1. Sussudio
2. Two Hearts
3. Against All Odds (Take a Look At Me Now)
4. Don't Lose My Number
5. Seperate Lives
6. Something Happened On the Way to Heaven
7. A Groovy Kind of Love
8. True Colors
9. I Wish It Would Rain Down
10. Another Day In Paradise
11. You Can't Hurry Love
12. Land of Confusion
13. In the Air Tonight
14. Easy Lover
15. Take Me Home

Can't abide Sussudio much, even as a Phil Collins fan, and nor am I a fan of You'll Be in My Heart. But the former is a lock, and I've elected to toss the other out for I Wish It Would Rain Down, one of two songs there not played on his farewell tour. (The other is Genesis's Land of Confusion, which he played at one of his recent charity shows, so tossing that in there as perhaps a throwback song. Be great if he did it.)

I'd suggest he is more likely to pick up 3rd down Saturday than Sunday Legendary slot.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:29 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

IHe's already played on the '29th best Glastonbury performance ever':

29. Peter Gabriel, 1979 

Gabriel played for no fee in a jam band with Tom Robinson, Nona Hendryx and Alex Harvey, with Phil Collins on drums, performing each other’s hits alongside a scorching 20 minute version of the Stones’ ’It’s Only Rock’n’roll’.

I was there watching this set

Phil's solo stuff has never done anything much for me and I've never bought anything by him as a solo artist so BUT his work with Genesis is wonderful. I'm not a big fan of their latter day super commercial period. Phil turned them from an incredible melodic prog act into a semi-soul pop outfit. One of the best shows I've ever seen was Genesis at Knebworth in 1978. Hackett had sadly departed but their new material as a three piece fitted beautifully into a set drawn heavily from Wind And Wuthering and Trick Of The Tail. Phil absolutely ruled that stage. The versions of Afterglow and Ripples were immensely powerful. if he plays there is no way I would miss it just for the hope that he would perform Afterglow.

10 minutes left of a timeshifted "sounds of the 70s" then I'm listening to John Murry, haven't listened to it for months, so thanks for the reminder :)

Phil Collins: this thread has convinced me it could be a fun Sunday afternoon. Prior to that I was definitely in the "oh no" camp. My own PC viewing highlights include: solo gig at Hammersmith, Brand X gig at same venue, but highlight, 6 of the best at MK Bowl. I'm a Lamb Lies Down, Foxtrot up to Duke fan, with later G albums too samey but some good ones in there. Land of Confusion - yes, Sussudio - no

we will see what June brings....

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I'd suggest he is more likely to pick up 3rd down Saturday than Sunday Legendary slot.

I'd imagine legend. Though if it's Macca on top of the Pyramid, he definitely won't be there...

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I thought @eFestivals suggested DR was a strong rumour for the legends slot?

Also, not having watching the JRoss show and not being a fan of his, it seems there was fairly mixed reviews from this at least?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/phil-collins-receives-mixed-reviews-9107785

I wouldn't necessarily trust the Mirror's articles... But yes, he did look frail. Alcoholism and illness has definitely hit him - but if he's got the humour and voice (which he still appears to have), he could do well. I'm off to the RAH shows so will bring a pre-festival review in case he's booked.

41 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I'd imagine legend. Though if it's Macca on top of the Pyramid, he definitely won't be there...

I wouldn't necessarily trust the Mirror's articles... But yes, he did look frail. Alcoholism and illness has definitely hit him - but if he's got the humour and voice (which he still appears to have), he could do well. I'm off to the RAH shows so will bring a pre-festival review in case he's booked.

They're just reporting a selection of tweets,  some positive,  others negative. 

I think as a leftie ME wouldn't invite him ;-)

5 hours ago, Martin Ashford said:

Phil's solo stuff has never done anything much for me and I've never bought anything by him as a solo artist so BUT his work with Genesis is wonderful. I'm not a big fan of their latter day super commercial period. Phil turned them from an incredible melodic prog act into a semi-soul pop outfit. One of the best shows I've ever seen was Genesis at Knebworth in 1978. Hackett had sadly departed but their new material as a three piece fitted beautifully into a set drawn heavily from Wind And Wuthering and Trick Of The Tail. Phil absolutely ruled that stage. The versions of Afterglow and Ripples were immensely powerful. if he plays there is no way I would miss it just for the hope that he would perform Afterglow.

To be honest I have no idea which songs are by Genesis and which are his solo work.......either way they are a guilty pleasure of mine

7 hours ago, mrlibertinedream said:

To be honest I have no idea which songs are by Genesis and which are his solo work.......either way they are a guilty pleasure of mine

One of the greatest tunes of all time by my reckoning.

13 hours ago, iamstreety said:

I love Phil Collins!! Would be a fantastic booking for the legends slot. Bring out Phil Bailey as well and you're on to a winner.

Nearly up voted this until I realised you said Phil Bailey rather than Bill.

Phil Collins and Bill Bailey - now that would be worth seeing...

54 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

Nearly up voted this until I realised you said Phil Bailey rather than Bill.

Phil Collins and Bill Bailey - now that would be worth seeing...

I'm holding out for Bill Bailey showing up for a guest appearance with Kraftwerk for Das Hokey Cokey

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Booze has defo taken its toll. Hes still on the mend so hopefully he can recover.

Feel sorry for Phil at times. Such an easy target when theres proper c**ts out there people adore. 

that's actually much better than I thought it would be. It does continue to make me wonder just how many songwriters end up living narrative of their own songs.

• 1 month later...