The Unsuccessful

FloorFiller

Just to add on here that I too have been successful applying for volunteering..and have limited funds to justify struggling for a ticket when I'm already going!

Thanks @chrismcb for all your efforts in this. I will, of course, be more than happy to still try for others once ticket day comes along. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All, I've got my ticket but hopefully this idea may help with the purchase of the tickets in the resale

Revolut app might be a good safe way of funding this. Each person in the group download the app to their smart phones.

The top up their own app with the required ammount. Each person is given a virtual credit card number.

You can instantly transfer funds between revolut accounts so once one person gets through then the other 3 transfer them the money and they can use their virtual credit card number to complete the purchase.

The app is free and there are no fees

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, Unawarecaesar said:

I think seetickets accept PayPal so money could just be transferred to that or people could set temporary passwords to exchange, dunno if that's any safer? 

I can't remember seeing PayPal as an option for payment for Glastonbury, so don't relay on that, I think it will need a card.  The only glimmer of hope is that I think they allow UK credit cards too now.

Re the prepaid cards as mentioned in other posts, will the provider allow a large payment in one go?  I've had an M&S card rejected when buying some £4 printer cartridges, so check if you can confirm payee details with the provider beforehand so the payment goes through.  I'd hate you all to get to the payment page and get stopped.

On 09/03/2017 at 11:26 AM, carlosj said:

I can't remember seeing PayPal as an option for payment for Glastonbury, so don't relay on that, I think it will need a card.  The only glimmer of hope is that I think they allow UK credit cards too now.

Re the prepaid cards as mentioned in other posts, will the provider allow a large payment in one go?  I've had an M&S card rejected when buying some £4 printer cartridges, so check if you can confirm payee details with the provider beforehand so the payment goes through.  I'd hate you all to get to the payment page and get stopped.

Imagine the heartache! *shudder*

Pretty sure PayPal isn't an option for Glasto tickets, and I'm sure this year they started accepted UK credit cards too. Grouping up with strangers is always risky unfortunately. I still think the safest way is for each member of the group to pay for all tickets from their own card, then funds can be transferred afterwards.

There are two risks with this, one being that you buy a ticket for someone else and they don't transfer the money, then all you do is cancel their ticket and get a refund, so all you lose out on is an admin fee. The bigger risk is if someone buys a ticket for you, you transfer the money to them, then they cancel your ticket and get the refund. Of course both of these depend on wether the lead Booker can cancel someone else's ticket, I'm not sure on that.

12 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Pretty sure PayPal isn't an option for Glasto tickets, and I'm sure this year they started accepted UK credit cards too. Grouping up with strangers is always risky unfortunately. I still think the safest way is for each member of the group to pay for all tickets from their own card, then funds can be transferred afterwards.

There are two risks with this, one being that you buy a ticket for someone else and they don't transfer the money, then all you do is cancel their ticket and get a refund, so all you lose out on is an admin fee. The bigger risk is if someone buys a ticket for you, you transfer the money to them, then they cancel your ticket and get the refund. Of course both of these depend on wether the lead Booker can cancel someone else's ticket, I'm not sure on that.

I asked SeeTickets on twitter and they confirmed they don't accept it for Glastonbury tickets.

You could use something like a ffrees account. It's a proper legitimate online bank account, nothing dodgy, one person in each group getting it in their name, everyone he gets the details and whoever gets through on resale day buys the tickets.

the only risk is one person could steal the money but at least you aren't giving out your everyday bank account and protects everyone from future thefts and fraud.

id suggest doing a could of small purchases so Glastonbury isn't the first time the card is used.

2 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I didn't think you could cancel and get a refund after April. Only if you have ticket protection and only then in certain circumstances? I could be wrong though 

edit: scrap that it's after may http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/ticket-info/#REFUNDS

Edited by Lucy92

3 hours ago, Lucy92 said:

I didn't think you could cancel and get a refund after April. Only if you have ticket protection and only then in certain circumstances? I could be wrong though 

edit: scrap that it's after may http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/tickets/ticket-info/#REFUNDS

That's where the secret resale tickets come from.

sorry guys but I'm out if we are using our own cards for other people for 2 reasons:

1) I need the money to pay for my own GA ticket which will follow the Sunday after the Thursday coach sale

2) I don't trust that I will receive full payment in time for the coach sale from whoever I buy for. Even though I probably will what happens if the person fails to pay for whatever reason? Am I meant to stump up their entry £££ indefinitely? No thanks.

I am a firm advocate of the person that wants tickets putting funds on a prepaid credit card and then on the morning of the sale letting their 'helper' know of the card details. Much better as the 'helper' can't lose out then. Particularly if their 'helper' is already in the pot for Glasto tickets themselves in the other sale.

Sorry if you think I am being a killjoy, saw someone mention it a few days ago and I've been thinking since and decided against it.

Edited by mungo57

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

sorry guys but I'm out if we are using our own cards for other people for 2 reasons:

1) I need the money to pay for my own GA ticket which will follow the Sunday after the Thursday coach sale

2) I don't trust that I will receive full payment in time for the coach sale from whoever I buy for.

I am a firm advocate of the person that wants tickets putting funds on a prepaid credit card and then on the morning of the sale letting their 'helper' know of the card details. Much better as the 'helper' can't lose out then.

Sorry if you think I am being a killjoy, saw someone mention it a few days ago and I've been thinking since and decided against it.

I think I'm probably in the same boat, not sure I could afford the coach and my own ticket together! Still more than happy to help though if the person I'm buying for is happy to do the prepaid card/call when im through and give details that I can type in straight away.

1 minute ago, Lucy92 said:

I think I'm probably in the same boat, not sure I could afford the coach and my own ticket together! Still more than happy to help though if the person I'm buying for is happy to do the prepaid card/call when im through and give details that I can type in straight away.

Agree with Lucy, oneor the other, but I would suggest prepaid cards much easier. Those few secs fucking about with the phone could mean tickets sell.

Yeah that was a point I was trying to make a while back about groups. As 4 tickets could be bought in one transaction meaning 4 people could be sorted in one go, but as you said, it means the person getting through has to stump up the cash which is expensive! The option of the prepaid card could be loaded up by everyone before hand and everyone uses that card but again, trust comes into play..

I'm thinking the best way to do this grouping is for me to not do it! What I mean is I have all the info there, you can find those closest to you on the spread sheet by using the distance ordering sheet. Maybe people could check their list, contact the person(s) they want to group up with and then let me know and I can add the group. This means that people are choosing their own group and I dont need to know everyones individual preference. Those who want to have 4 in their group can have it that way, those who just want themselves and a volunteers help thats fine too.

What you think?

I can send a message to all on the list to do this and when people have confirmed their group I can add it to the sheet so we can see who is left.

On the DistanceOrdering sheet, you can find your column. You can select what day you want tickets in the drop down in the very first cell (top left). This will highlight others that want tickets for the same day(s) in green and those offering to volunteer in blue.

ET = Either ticket (coach or general)
GT = General Ticket
CT = Coach Ticket

EV = Either resale day volunteer
GV = General resale day volunteer
CV = Coach resale day volunteer.

Each entry shows the number of tickets the person needs also and how close they are to you, people at the top being closer. Note : Some volunteers dont have the postcode so they could be close but the sheet cant tell and some post codes dont seem to calculate the distance for some reason.

Edited by chrismcb

43 minutes ago, chrismcb said:

Yeah that was a point I was trying to make a while back about groups. As 4 tickets could be bought in one transaction meaning 4 people could be sorted in one go, but as you said, it means the person getting through has to stump up the cash which is expensive! The option of the prepaid card could be loaded up by everyone before hand and everyone uses that card but again, trust comes into play..

I'm thinking the best way to do this grouping is for me to not do it! What I mean is I have all the info there, you can find those closest to you on the spread sheet by using the distance ordering sheet. Maybe people could check their list, contact the person(s) they want to group up with and then let me know and I can add the group. This means that people are choosing their own group and I dont need to know everyones individual preference. Those who want to have 4 in their group can have it that way, those who just want themselves and a volunteers help thats fine too.

What you think?

I can send a message to all on the list to do this and when people have confirmed their group I can add it to the sheet so we can see who is left.

On the DistanceOrdering sheet, you can find your column. You can select what day you want tickets in the drop down in the very first cell (top left). This will highlight others that want tickets for the same day(s) in green and those offering to volunteer in blue.

ET = Either ticket (coach or general)
GT = General Ticket
CT = Coach Ticket

EV = Either resale day volunteer
GV = General resale day volunteer
CV = Coach resale day volunteer.

Each entry shows the number of tickets the person needs also and how close they are to you, people at the top being closer. Note : Some volunteers dont have the postcode so they could be close but the sheet cant tell and some post codes dont seem to calculate the distance for some reason.

makes sense to me Chris - I'm sure we can group each other.

Thanks for your help with the list mate. If I get tickets I will sort you a few pints at the fest.

Ok, I'll send a message to all on the sheet and get people to group up and update me.

An update on my own situation. I have the Glastonbury tickets already sorted but I wasn't sure about the dates then, medical stuff, but my wife was then not able to get the time off work as many others had requested the same dates (she is a nurse). But anyway, the dates work out for us and she has managed to get some cover meaning we can actually go now, just a day or so later than planned so, happy days!

1 hour ago, chrismcb said:

An update on my own situation. I have the Glastonbury tickets already sorted but I wasn't sure about the dates then, medical stuff, but my wife was then not able to get the time off work as many others had requested the same dates (she is a nurse). But anyway, the dates work out for us and she has managed to get some cover meaning we can actually go now, just a day or so later than planned so, happy days!

Brilliant news!

1 hour ago, chrismcb said:

Ok, I'll send a message to all on the sheet and get people to group up and update me.

Ah Chris that's fantastic news! I've been thinking about this ever since you first posted it. Really made up for you :) 

13 hours ago, chrismcb said:

I'm glad you  and the Mrs sorted it out mate :D

23 hours ago, chrismcb said:

Thanks Chris, really helpful and all of your efforts are appreciated.  We're looking for four general admission tickets (got CV East tickets sorted already thanks to help on here).  If anyone succeeds on our behalf I can arrange a same day bank transfer.