Ticketday: Whats your Internetspeed? Importance?

tullux

On 9/23/2016 at 10:11 PM, musky said:

I would have thought it's unlikely that the router would change to LTE mid way through the session, but if it did it would probably screw up your booking. With a different IP you'd lose your session, assuming they're IP based (which seems reasonable). 

I think they are session (cookie) based from memory of past discussions on here. Not sure if having two public IP's would be of any particular advantage though if you can only use one at a time anyway. The only advantage I have seen over the last few years has simply been statistical, i.e. the more people trying for the same reg numbers, the better.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

I think they are session (cookie) based from memory of past discussions on here. Not sure if having two public IP's would be of any particular advantage though if you can only use one at a time anyway. The only advantage I have seen over the last few years has simply been statistical, i.e. the more people trying for the same reg numbers, the better.

In previous years, I've had my desktop and laptop both suddenly get through at the same time, suggesting the IP is involved.  On the other hand, I can't remember if that happened last year, so may be cookie based now.

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Not sure if having two public IP's would be of any particular advantage though if you can only use one at a time anyway.

I've got access to 7 distinct IP address - whatever my mobile connects thru, my standard BT broadband line from a public pool of IPs, plus 5 reserved-to-me IP addresses that I pay BT to provide for me.

One year (a few years back now) I set things up so devices in my house were using all of those different IP addresses, and I didn't get thru.

While it's of course not a definitive test, I've not bothered to do it since because it didn't appear to make any difference. If using different IPs gave an advantage, i'd have thought a 7-times advantage would have revealed it.

Actually, scrap that - being dense - it will surely be the app behind the load balancer that awards an actual session or not (returns the holding page). The load balancer will either map to an available backend server or not depending on its load / server availability. I'll still have a look and see whether there is any kind of ticket involved or whether it can be configured to filter out multiple connection attempts from the same IP however.

Last two years ive been using this technique, 6tickets in 2014 10 in 2015 :) - hoping for a similar result this year as I'm my groups least useless computer user and we need 15 this year :/

On 9/25/2016 at 11:30 AM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

i tried using this auto refresh thingys a couple years back, they stop refreshing once the page changes so you shouldn't miss it. the only thing I found is that each browser or computer reloads the screen at a different speed, so there is no replacement for actually looking at the screen and pressing f5 manually to reload it. it may just be me bt the year i tried using them i got through on the one i was manually refreshing.

Yup they will all reload at different speeds and it can get crazy. I make all the windows small enough to fit into one screen. Most of the time, the screen all show the dark background queuing screen. When one of the screens gets a session and goes through, increase window size, quit the auto-refresh and proceed.

On 9/25/2016 at 9:47 AM, parsonjack said:

How do you monitor all 18 sessions simultaneously to ensure you don't miss a booking page.....or does your auto-refreshing stop automatically? 

On 9/25/2016 at 10:13 PM, semmtexx said:

What autorefresh program do you use? And how do you stop it autorefreshing the ticket page (you know the golden page!)?

Cheers!

(see comment above for autorefresh stopping - u can do it at your leisure as once you're in, you're in so to speak.)

Autorefresh plugins i use 

Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/easy-auto-refresh/aabcgdmkeabbnleenpncegpcngjpnjkc

Safari - http://agriffindesign.com/downloads/autorefresh/

Firefox - http://reloadevery.mozdev.org/

Hope that helps.

17 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Last two years ive been using this technique, 6tickets in 2014 10 in 2015 :) - hoping for a similar result this year as I'm my groups least useless computer user and we need 15 this year :/

Yup they will all reload at different speeds and it can get crazy. I make all the windows small enough to fit into one screen. Most of the time, the screen all show the dark background queuing screen. When one of the screens gets a session and goes through, increase window size, quit the auto-refresh and proceed.

(see comment above for autorefresh stopping - u can do it at your leisure as once you're in, you're in so to speak.)

Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/easy-auto-refresh/aabcgdmkeabbnleenpncegpcngjpnjkc

Hope that helps.

Good advice this.

I am very similar. don't used tabs just use 4 different browsers (Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox). All open but reduce size so they all fit on one page. Have auto refresh going on 3 of them and set up so once it spots a change it stops refreshing. The 4th one i manually refresh. Also have phone just refreshing on the 20 sec timer using 3G/4G not on wifi.

Successful in 05, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15

Only unsuccessful in 07 but hadn't honed my skills then, last year didn't try.

9 hours ago, GoonerRob said:

Hope that helps.

Do any of these have the logic to ONLY refresh if the returned page is still the holding page?  Without it you still run the risk of missing a booking page if it's slower to load than the auto-refreshing interval.

1 hour ago, DropBeat said:

As well as having multiple browsers, can you also use an Incognito/private browsing window without affecting the main session?

Yep, covered in the last few pages. I know it's a pain and often useless to read back most of these threads, but there's been some useful stuff posted in here anongst the hardcore techie stuff.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

On 26/09/2016 at 9:37 AM, Pinhead said:

I thought cookies had been ruled out on here in the past.

Although both have probably rubbished at some point, possibly in the same thread. :lol:

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

server sessions are done via a cookie, but are usually described in a different way - as server sessions - to a standard cookie.

Hmm. I've got third party cookies blocked by default so I'll have to change that on the day. Shouldn't make a jot of difference but I'm not taking any chances!

17 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

That's similar to a refresh extension i have used whereby it will continuously refresh the page until a word or phrase of your choice appears on the page and it then stops refreshing

Though tbh  wouldnt trust any auto refresh tool. Glastonbury tickets are to valuable to risk losing because a script has cocked up or its been aiming at the wrong link or refreshed out of the page or something/

auto refresh? thats my finger hitting f5....over and over and over again......its brought me luck every year since 2013 so far....can I go for 5 in a row!

Edited by waterfalls212434

29 minutes ago, jamesrfisher said:

That's similar to a refresh extension i have used whereby it will continuously refresh the page until a word or phrase of your choice appears on the page and it then stops refreshing

Which one have you been using? Did it work? 

a little "update" about my new hybrid router.

after the installation the performance was incedible bad. speedtest was about 9 kbit/s.

i called the hotline and they updatet the router. now it is 42 kbit/, perfect!

update your routersoftware before t-day!