Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not unusual now for artists/bands to move backwards and forwards between Europe and the States over the course of the summer. If Frank Ocean got a clutch of bookings, lets's say, Flow, Sziget, Frequency, PKP, Lowlands and V, then it would be worth it financially for him to come over for a fortnight/10 days. 

The Specials are around, would be happy to see them announced. Not sure if they're big/relevant enough in Belgium to headline the Marquee but 2nd/3rd from top or early evening Main would both work?

27 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

First self confirmation. Sabrina plays Pukkelpop.

http://sabrina.strikingly.com/

Is it real? Is she big enough to sell tickets for 3 dates in Wembley Stadium? Is that Sabrina the one hit wonder artist of late 80's who sang "Boys"?

These dates are the same of Rihanna 2016 tour... so it's fake.

Edited by johnybegood

42 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Is it real? Is she big enough to sell tickets for 3 dates in Wembley Stadium? Is that Sabrina the one hit wonder artist of late 80's who sang "Boys"?

These dates are the same of Rihanna 2016 tour... so it's fake.

Yep. Fake. I was too eager to get in with the first confirmation to check if it was legit! Thought they were big dates for someone I'd never heard of 

U2 rumoured to be announcing a tour on the 9th Jan. Europe in July onwards. US support from Mumford's and Noel G

http://u2tour.de/news/article5614.html

Also a Dutch radio station are tweeting saying they have tickets to give away to a Dutch U2 gig so looks like Amsterdam will be on the agenda, no clues on the dates though. 

The XX, U2 and Mumfords for PP? Not totally out of the question.

20 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

U2 rumoured to be announcing a tour on the 9th Jan. Europe in July onwards. US support from Mumford's and Noel G

http://u2tour.de/news/article5614.html

Also a Dutch radio station are tweeting saying they have tickets to give away to a Dutch U2 gig so looks like Amsterdam will be on the agenda, no clues on the dates though. 

The XX, U2 and Mumfords for PP? Not totally out of the question.

Totally not going to happen though, can't think of a single reason why U2 would do Pukkelpop instead of a stadium show/standalone gig at the Werchter fields.

7 minutes ago, Dietediet said:

Totally not going to happen though, can't think of a single reason why U2 would do Pukkelpop instead of a stadium show/standalone gig at the Werchter fields.

Neither can I but they are doing festivals so it's not 100% ruled out. Suppose we'll find out for sure on the 9th.

Hi everyone! Been lurking this thread for a while now. I‘m going to be in Europe around mid August on vacation, traveling all the way from South America, and I really want to go to a festival so I figured I‘d check Pukkelpop out. My only European festival experience was Primavera 2015, so I was wondering what are some main similarities and differences regarding crowd, venue, prices and overall experience. 

Also, I read the line up is announced around February. Do tickets go on sale immediately after that? Do they tend to sell out? I‘ve been checking Pukkelpop‘s Twitter profile regularly, but they do not seem to be posting any important info right now. I just wanna make sure I don‘t miss the sale.

Lastly, I‘ll be traveling solo, so I was wondering if it‘s easy to find accommodation in Hasselt. I know Pukkelpop has a camping site but I don‘t think I‘d like to venture into that by myself, since I‘ve never done it before.

Cheers :)

4 minutes ago, itsmemartina said:

Hi everyone! Been lurking this thread for a while now. I‘m going to be in Europe around mid August on vacation, traveling all the way from South America, and I really want to go to a festival so I figured I‘d check Pukkelpop out. My only European festival experience was Primavera 2015, so I was wondering what are some main similarities and differences regarding crowd, venue, prices and overall experience. 

Also, I read the line up is announced around February. Do tickets go on sale immediately after that? Do they tend to sell out? I‘ve been checking Pukkelpop‘s Twitter profile regularly, but they do not seem to be posting any important info right now. I just wanna make sure I don‘t miss the sale.

Lastly, I‘ll be traveling solo, so I was wondering if it‘s easy to find accommodation in Hasselt. I know Pukkelpop has a camping site but I don‘t think I‘d like to venture into that by myself, since I‘ve never done it before.

I've never been to Primavera but the lineup is quite different. Primavera focuses on more alternative music while Pukkelpop is a real pop festival. This doesn't mean you won't like it because each music style is well represented (check lineups from the years before). You can check the lineup of Reading/Leeds or Lowlands for possible names. Overall I think it's a great festival, the site is really big with like 10 stages and a lot of other things to do. I'd expect the price to be around 100 euros for a day and 200 for 3 days (+ opening party the night before), like last year. Most drinks are usually 1 ticket (€2,5) and food depends (2 - 5 tickets).

Tickets go on sale a few days after the first names are announced. Sometimes days sell out, but I wouldn't worry about tickets. Last years, tickets were always still available well into the summer. Also, stay updated on their social media because they announce when a day is nearly sold out!

I can't really help you on the accommodation question because I've never done that.

Hope this helped! :)

1 hour ago, ThijsDB said:

I've never been to Primavera but the lineup is quite different. Primavera focuses on more alternative music while Pukkelpop is a real pop festival. This doesn't mean you won't like it because each music style is well represented (check lineups from the years before). You can check the lineup of Reading/Leeds or Lowlands for possible names. Overall I think it's a great festival, the site is really big with like 10 stages and a lot of other things to do. I'd expect the price to be around 100 euros for a day and 200 for 3 days (+ opening party the night before), like last year. Most drinks are usually 1 ticket (€2,5) and food depends (2 - 5 tickets).

Tickets go on sale a few days after the first names are announced. Sometimes days sell out, but I wouldn't worry about tickets. Last years, tickets were always still available well into the summer. Also, stay updated on their social media because they announce when a day is nearly sold out!

I can't really help you on the accommodation question because I've never done that.

Hope this helped! :)

Weekend tickets haven't sold out way in advance for a few years now so unless it's a blockbuster line up you should be ok.

Been to both Primavera and Pukkelpop and they are both great festivals. Pukkelpop has more of a party vibe and is more more weighted to the dance side of things. Main stage is a bit hit and miss most years but with 10 stages most tastes are catered for and the line ups for the Club, Costello and Marquee are normally spot on. It's a more compact size than Primavera is and getting from stage to stage is easy. Also, unlike Primavera, all the outside areas are grass, which is much easier on the legs.

People are very friendly and it's not as pretentious as the PS crowd. It's also a lot younger but not so much that if you're not in your teens and twenties you don't feel out of place. 

As for accommodation, there's a very good modern hostel next to the train station that's cheap. I stayed there last year and will be doing so for 2017. Hotels are available but are normally quite expensive for Pukkelpop weekend.

Also note that train travel is free in belgium with your festival ticket and shuttle buses to and from Hasselt from the site are also free.

On 1/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, itsmemartina said:

Ive also been to both festivals and I enjoyed Pukkelpop much more than Primavera although both are totally different experiences.

I agree that Pukkelpop has way more of the party vibe but the overall organisation, crowd (primavera was one of the most hostile crowds I've ever experienced) and variety that you get just made it a much more enjoyable experience.

I'd definitely recommend!

I been to Primavera & Pukkelpop and live in Hasselt but I'd suggest both festivals actually. As you've been to Primavera and if you liked I think you'll like Pukkelpop also. Pukkelpop has been tending a bit towards being more a pop festival but it actually used to be (or in my opinion, certainly in Belgium, still is) a festival to discover new bands. There's always a big variety in music styles. I like the atmosphere on the festival a lot. Main stage indeed is more of a hit & miss but the other stages always have some jewels around. The biggest difference is maybe the weather. That's also hit & miss and the last years we've had bad luck and good luck (as always in Belgium) so it could be raining four days or maybe just four days of 30 degrees and more. I think the new youth hostel next to Hasselt train station is a perfect location to stay. Sadly it's the only purpose it's been used for (what a waste of place, very nice modern place just totally not used by people and at the wrong side of the station) but for Pukkelpop it's perfect since you can take one of the free busses at the station right to the festival. I think there's one at least every half hour. You could also stay in the camping but I'm too old for that. It's pretty busy. I think they started with a second camping now, don't know how it is over there but the main camping (right at the other side of the road) used to be too busy for me so I always set up my tent in friend's gardens.

42 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Going off Chokris daughter twitter account we might be getting some news sooner rather than later, in the next couple of days or weeks.

Nice!

Lola Paris announces next week! Sziget should announce soon, next week too I'd say!