Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, was just coming on here to post something about Lost Village but you beat me to it Dave!! Would definitely take Moderat and De La Soul plus Joe Goddard live sounds interesting. Nice to know many of those DJs are in the area but tbf quite a few of the big ones think nothing of flying from one side of the world to the other in the space of a day or two so pretty much anyone could be in the running.

It's been all go today what with the R&L and Green Man announcements! Kendall Calling line up is pretty decent too so I'm very hopeful this will be a bumper year based on who's touring and potentially available. So we could be looking at Mumfords, Kasabian and The xx but there's still the possibility of the likes of Eminem, Muse, The Weeknd and whoever is going to headline V (maybe best not to go there after last year!!). Guess you'd have to throw Ed Sheeren into the mix now as well. Not sure if they've ever had three British headliners but that may not be a factor at all in their thinking?

Think Flume will be a Dance Hall headliner and also saw today that Nero are back on tour this summer. Be interesting to see what they do with Pendulum (if they play) as there's a few potentials for the late night Main slots - Major Lazer, Deadmau5, Netsky and sure I saw somewhere that Rudimental are out and about again. I'd personally like to see Pendulum in the Dance Hall, along with Leftfield who are playing Camp Bestival at the end of July.

58 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Haha, was just coming on here to post something about Lost Village but you beat me to it Dave!! Would definitely take Moderat and De La Soul plus Joe Goddard live sounds interesting. Nice to know many of those DJs are in the area but tbf quite a few of the big ones think nothing of flying from one side of the world to the other in the space of a day or two so pretty much anyone could be in the running.

It's been all go today what with the R&L and Green Man announcements! Kendall Calling line up is pretty decent too so I'm very hopeful this will be a bumper year based on who's touring and potentially available. So we could be looking at Mumfords, Kasabian and The xx but there's still the possibility of the likes of Eminem, Muse, The Weeknd and whoever is going to headline V (maybe best not to go there after last year!!). Guess you'd have to throw Ed Sheeren into the mix now as well. Not sure if they've ever had three British headliners but that may not be a factor at all in their thinking?

Think Flume will be a Dance Hall headliner and also saw today that Nero are back on tour this summer. Be interesting to see what they do with Pendulum (if they play) as there's a few potentials for the late night Main slots - Major Lazer, Deadmau5, Netsky and sure I saw somewhere that Rudimental are out and about again. I'd personally like to see Pendulum in the Dance Hall, along with Leftfield who are playing Camp Bestival at the end of July.

I can also see Sigma possibly having a closing spot too.

The dance side is always a strong point at Pukkelpop and this years edition might be the strongest yet. I'd like to see Fatboy get a go this year.

My thinking is that Kasabian might be a sub if they do go for someone massive, like RHCP or Eminem. I also think one of the dance closers will be as big as a headliner, like Prodigy/Deadmau5 and Calvin Harris have been in the past.

The organisers have got a very, very good pool of acts to choose from - the best in years in my eyes. I hope they choose wisely and steer clear of the usual go-to Pukkelpop bands like Editors, Major Lazer and the Offspring.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Turbonegro playing Openair Gränichen in Switzerland the weekend after PKP. Would love to have them at PKP.

Edit: Worried about Moderat, only date left is thursday 17th, but they are already playing 15-16-18-19. Five days in a row is maybe a bit too much?

Edited by Stef_P82

8 minutes ago, Stef_P82 said:

Turbonegro playing Openair Gränichen in Switzerland the weekend after PKP. Would love to have them at PKP.

Edit: Worried about Moderat, only date left is thursday 17th, but they are already playing 15-16-18-19. Five days in a row is maybe a bit too much?

Very do-able looking at where they are playing. I think they'll be there.

38 minutes ago, SPTFRE said:

Historically, when is the first announcement usually made?

Last year just over 80 names were announced on the 16th March. Rhianna was announced on her own about a month or so before.

Quite likely we'll get them earlier this year.

One to keep an eye on is Summer Sonic in Japan which is on the same weekend and will rule a few bands out. They should be announcing soon. 

Rock em Seine should be announcing soon as well.

52 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

.Rhianna was announced on her own about a month or so before.

Her early booking/announcement was related to the cancellation of Werchter Boutique due to safety reasons so it was a unique case.

26 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

Her early booking/announcement was related to the cancellation of Werchter Boutique due to safety reasons so it was a unique case.

...due to safety reasons?! No one really believed that nonsense. Ticketsales for Werchter Boutique were disastrous. Pukkelpop "helped" Livenation by taking over Rihanna, but ended up shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Rihanna turned out to be late, playbacking, disappointing, annoying, not interested,... . 

Edited by DaveRSV4

13 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

...due to safety reasons?! No one really believed that nonsense. Ticketsales for Werchter Boutique were disastrous. Pukkelpop "helped" Livenation by taking over Rihanna, but ended up shooting themselves in the foot by doing that. Rihanna turned out to be late, playbacking, disappointing, annoying, not interested,... . 

You're right but no matter what was the real reason, her early solo announcement was an exception. :) 

Edited by alan_ts

1 hour ago, alan_ts said:

You're right but no matter what was the real reason, her early solo announcement was an exception. :) 

Well exactually, you were right and I was just, in my own clumsy way, trying to confirm that by explaining that Boutique needed to get rid of Rihanna due to disappointing ticketsales, and that's why Pukkelpop jumped at the occasion and had to announce Rihanna so fast, which was indeed exceptionnal :) 

Edited by DaveRSV4

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Have a feeling it'll be the Chili Peppers. big gap in the tour schedule.

They played Rock Werchter 2016 and also Sportpaleis-gig in november 2016. They have gigs in Europe until the end of july 2017 but no further dates except returning for Dublin stadiums shows 20-21 september. That's a indeed a big gap. That's why I really can't see them returning (just) for  Pukkelpop, knowing other festivals, in the same period (like Lowlands), already have got their headliners. 

Edited by DaveRSV4

33 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

They played Rock Werchter 2016 and also Sportpaleis-gig in november 2016. They have gigs in Europe until the end of july 2017 but no further dates except returning for Dublin stadiums shows 20-21 september. That's a indeed a big gap. That's why I really can't see them returning (just) for  Pukkelpop, knowing other festivals, in the same period (like Lowlands), already have got their headliners. 

Fingers crossed.