Pukkelpop 2017

DDave

12 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Pendulum are gearing up for an announcement, I'd place them at PP as they are looking likely to announce SW4 which is around the same time and has previousy shared acts with pukkelpop (chem bros etc.)

Can definitely see them closing the main. 

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so very much DiscothequeDaveThijsDBSilverLining and jirrit for answering! (Didn‘t want to quote you all in order to keep the thread clean)

I really enjoyed Primavera, and I totally get what you guys say about the overall vibe of Pukkelpop and the difference with the former. At Primavera I did find the crowd overall nice, except in certain acts where people would get a bit hostile. I have no problem with hostility though, as I‘m from Latin America and things most frequently get rough at gigs here, so I‘ve had my fair share of bruises and scratches. But I‘m glad that Pukkelpop seems to be more confortable to walk around, and easier to move between stages.

One last question. Are there major differences between Pukkelpop and Lowlands? I‘ve checked past years‘ lineups, and they do seem to share at least 50% o 60% of the acts. Have you ever been to Lowlands? I‘m pretty sure I‘ll attend Pukkelpop, but I‘m curious nevertheless.

16 minutes ago, itsmemartina said:

Thank you so very much DiscothequeDaveThijsDBSilverLining and jirrit for answering! (Didn‘t want to quote you all in order to keep the thread clean)

I really enjoyed Primavera, and I totally get what you guys say about the overall vibe of Pukkelpop and the difference with the former. At Primavera I did find the crowd overall nice, except in certain acts where people would get a bit hostile. I have no problem with hostility though, as I‘m from Latin America and things most frequently get rough at gigs here, so I‘ve had my fair share of bruises and scratches. But I‘m glad that Pukkelpop seems to be more confortable to walk around, and easier to move between stages.

One last question. Are there major differences between Pukkelpop and Lowlands? I‘ve checked past years‘ lineups, and they do seem to share at least 50% o 60% of the acts. Have you ever been to Lowlands? I‘m pretty sure I‘ll attend Pukkelpop, but I‘m curious nevertheless.

Less bands, and the main stage is a tent, which i still find weird.

5 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

The Hives named for http://www.nirwanatuinfeest.nl/home

Very near to Hasselt and on the same weekend. Very high chance of them playing PP. Fingers crossed.

I hope PKP will take Undeclinable Ambuscade from that festival to play in Shelter Stage. I used to listen them a lot in the late 90's and they've just re-united this year. They are playing Groezrock in april, but I think that being a BENELUX band, they can play both belgian festivals.

Edited by johnybegood

On 1/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, itsmemartina said:

I posted this on the Lowlands thread last year in response to someone who was asking what it's like - might be of help:

I haven't been to Lowlands but I know a few people that have. Yes, all the stages are tents and Alpha is considered the 'Main' one, although there is another of a similar size that has a lot of big bands too (can't remember what it's called but they are all named after the phonetic alphabet - possibly Bravo?). Bands on these two stages do not clash (as soon as one finishes another starts) but there are obviously clashes across all the other stages. Although the headliners usually finish around 1am, the music carries on until 5am with DJs playing in 3/4 of the tents. They have themed nights in Alpha (80's, Britpop etc) and some excellent dance DJs in the others (there's usually a DnB night, a techno one and another for house/electro). The late night programming is really good and well worth checking out if you're into dance music. 

Aside from the music, they offer a lot of art, poetry, theatre, comedy and film. It's nowhere near the scale of somewhere like Glastonbury but they put a lot of effort into making it an experience, as opposed to just a big gig with different stages for the music. There's a pretty sizeable theme park next door that I visited about 15 years ago. It was called Six Flags then but it's Walibi World now. There used to be an option to pay a bit extra on top of your festival ticket and you could use the theme park as well but I don't know if they still offer that? 

From what I've been told, the vibe is pretty laid back and camping is fairly close to the arena itself. I did read that they don't open the campsite until 4pm the day before (Thursday) which some people found to be an issue but not sure if that's still the case? It's a good hour on the train from Amsterdam but many Brits spend time there before and/or after the festival, which is never a bad thing! It used to sell out really quickly (sometimes on the day tickets were released) but that hasn't happened for a few years now. If there was some reason why I couldn't go to Pukkelpop one year then I'd definitely do Lowlands instead. I did look at it the very first year we went to PKP but decided not to as there's no hotel options nearby.

SW4 are announcing on Monday so expect that to be Pendulum. Sonnemondsterne also released a load of names around Christmas. Mostly DJs but a few live acts that could feature - Major Lazer, Netsky and Vitalic being the most likely. There's some quality DJs on the line up (Kolsch, Sven Vath, Pan Pot, Ellen Allien, Roni Size etc) but some good awful shite too. Sincerely hope they don't waste any money on the likes of Martin Garrix, Galantis, Marshmello and the greatest living weapon there is Steve Aoki. Been 2/3 years since Boyz Noise and Bloody Beetroots played so reckon they'll be about too.

12 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

New names for Paredes De Coura. Not sure I can see the National returning so soon when there's plenty of other options, but Julia Jacklin would be a great addition. Off to see her in Feb. Really good album.

IMG_20170113_223103.jpg

This would be a plot-twist concerning The National. Read somewhere that they would only play at Haven Festival in the summer of 2017 because the Dessner-brothers (help) organise that new festival? If Editors are mentionned as headliner for PKP2017, then The National is also possible. They both headlined in 2014. However, I also can't see it happening.

Edited by DaveRSV4

1 hour ago, DaveRSV4 said:

This would be a plot-twist concerning The National. Read somewhere that they would only play at Haven Festival in the summer of 2017 because the Dessner-brothers (help) organise that new festival? If Editors are mentionned as headliner for PKP2017, then The National is also possible. They both headlined in 2014. However, I also can't see it happening.

From what's been announced so far, Pukkelpop is in danger of being an amalgamation of every edition from the last 5 years. Serial offenders the Prodigy, Snow Patrol, Offspring and Editors are all contenders as are the XX and if the R&L rumours are true,  Eminem.

Hopefully they'll have a bit of inventiveness about them and book something really special.

It just seems that the major headliners seem less and less interested in playing the August festivals. That's why my money is on Editors - Mumford & Sons - The XX, with Netsky - Major Lazer - Flume closing after.

Then you have 3 headliners and closing acts of which no one will doubt their credentials, unlike some acts in the past 2 years. Each of those having a valid reason to return (The National supposedly isn't releasing their new album before the end of this year, so not exactly a relevant booking). And non of them will take a big bite out of the budget (unlike Rihanna, Eminem, Linkin Park, ...), leaving money to book a quality undercard. Basically the same story as in 2014, overall still one of the better balanced lineups from the past 10 years or so. 

36 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Wishlist is in.

Aerosmith, Lauryn Hill and Carl Cox.

Aerosmith's European tour is already announced and runs from (the end of) May till the beginning of July. Not likely they'll still be around or back mid August. Carl Cox isn't he retired yet? ;-) Techno Dj's Chris Liebing, Adam Beyer and Richie Hawtin are around (Sonos-festival), so they're a "better" option. 

Edited by DaveRSV4

20 minutes ago, DaveRSV4 said:

Aerosmith's European tour is already announced and runs from (the end of) May till the beginning of July. Not likely they'll still be around or back mid August. Carl Cox isn't he retired yet? ;-) Techno Dj's Chris Liebing, Adam Beyer and Richie Hawtin are around (Sonos-festival), so they're a "better" option. 

No Dutch or Belgian date for Aerosmith yet.

and they might be more convenient because they're around....but they're not "better"

1 hour ago, alan_ts said:

I've done my wishlist too (only to win the 2 vip combi :):) )

- The XX (very likely)

- Aphex Twin (a possibility)

- Run The Jewels (Who knows...)

I like your thinking!

I would say The XX definitely. They're new album is great and I've never seen them live before and they have been on my top see list for a while.

I'd like to say Eminem but I don't think they'd have a repeat of 2013 again so I'd substitute Eminem for Run The Jewels or Foals perhaps.

Lastly The National or Elbow... it's hard to decide really..

3 hours ago, jakecase said:

I like your thinking!

I would say The XX definitely. They're new album is great and I've never seen them live before and they have been on my top see list for a while.

I'd like to say Eminem but I don't think they'd have a repeat of 2013 again so I'd substitute Eminem for Run The Jewels or Foals perhaps.

Lastly The National or Elbow... it's hard to decide really..

The Xx headlined 2013 too.

Was wondering about the wishlist as I thought they weren't going to bother with it this year? Guess this now means we can expect an announcement around the usual time as they'll let this run for at least a month.

I've gone for Maceo Plex, LTJ Bukem and Future Islands. Good to see Pendulum confirmed today, they always put on an excellent show. Remember them absolutely tearing up the Dance Hall one year - place was rammed with mosh pits everywhere and people climbing the walls - and then the poor old Stereo MCs (who were actually quite decent) playing a 'headline' slot to a virtually empty tent. Would be great to see Pendulum in the Dance Hall again but they'll likely be Main Stage closers if they play.