Daft Punk

eFestivals

55 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is primavera not too small for daft punk?

They'd be a pretty huge booking for it in comparison to some of the other headliners, but they did get Radiohead this year (not sure if Radiohead are as big in the rest of Europe as they are here though, and Daft Punk are still considerably bigger I guess)

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

On the basis that Glasto do not try to get exclusive deals in any shape or form for any act, that's got to be called out as bullshit.

You have a point. That post was shared by someone in /r/coachella that had the Coachella 2016 headliners info months in advance and seems to know things.

This guy said that, given the info that is floating around DP it looked interesting for him to find that someoned echoed "the deal". For me is interesting to know that it was in July, very early to affirm a "done deal". If i'm wrong about that thought please feel free to point me in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Nesser said:

Please, leave Reddit aside. Don't compromise the quality of this thread by linking some info that someone posted on the Coachella subreddit. Don't spit on this forum's credibility.

I'm only trying to connect the dots about this. I'm not trying to do any damage (and if i'm doing it in any way i'll stop). It's precisely the credibility of this forum that makes me ask the questions that i've asked.

10 hours ago, Nicklord said:

No no. My point was that Coachella can make the tour happen, like in GnR case (listen to Axl and Duff interview) 

i'm sure Daft Punk haven't been short on ridiculous offers of money to tour for the past ten years. maybe it being 2017 and people expecting it of them has ramped things up a bit, but i doubt Coachella, however ridiculous the sum of money they're willing to pay, has anything to do with them upping and touring again. it wouldn't surprise me if they've had a deal in place with Coachella for years and years of '2017 we headline'

Is anyone else a little surprised at the popularity of Daft Punk on this forum? I didn't really know who they were, and I had to stick their name into YouTube to discover that I do indeed recognise a lot of their songs, but its the kind of stuff I usually would ignore - very poppy-dance to my ears, which isn't my bag, and isn't typical Pyramid headliner, no? (Tho clearly they are popular enough by what people are saying on this forum, they just weren't clearly on my radar.)

Edited by Little Andy

They'll be a popular booking and a busy Pyramid field - and I think a lot of that will be a consequence of the reputation of their 2006-2007 tour, which was fairly epochal in terms of live dance music.  A lot of what's happened in the US with EDM music - for good and ill - probably has its genesis with the Daft lads

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They'll be a popular booking and a busy Pyramid field - and I think a lot of that will be a consequence of the reputation of their 2006-2007 tour, which was fairly epochal in terms of live dance music.  A lot of what's happened in the US with EDM music - for good and ill - probably has its genesis with the Daft lads

I'd be a little surprised if it was mega busy compared to, say, any of 2016's headliners. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a Metallica / Kanye effect, with lots of people avoiding it cos its not typical Pyramid stuff. Based on my Youtube search, its very poppy-dancy in my ears, and that's something I expect many will want to avoid at Glastonbury. (Tho this thread makes me very much doubt my assumption).

16 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Is anyone else a little surprised at the popularity of Daft Punk on this forum? I didn't really know who they were, and I had to stick their name into YouTube to discover that I do indeed recognise a lot of their songs, but its the kind of stuff I usually would ignore - very poppy-dance to my ears, which isn't my bag, and isn't typical Pyramid headliner, no? (Tho clearly they are popular enough by what people are saying on this forum, they just weren't clearly on my radar.)

the fact that they haven't toured in ten years and, as said above, that their 2007 tour is the thing of electronic music legend, is why they're so highly sought after now. if they'd have continued touring throughout i doubt they'd have the same reputation, but finishing touring on SUCH a high note and releasing albums pretty sporadically has kept them at the forefront of electronic music, even if their last two releases have garnered some pretty mixed reception. it'd be a very busy Pyramid field, and a huge deal for fans of dance music (both them returning as a live act, and having them up their on the Pyramid, which i didn't think they'd be doing when/if they started touring again). maybe getting a bit ahead of myself there as this could all prove to be bollocks, but if it's pulled off then Glastonbury done good

9 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I'd be a little surprised if it was mega busy compared to, say, any of 2016's headliners. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a Metallica / Kanye effect, with lots of people avoiding it cos its not typical Pyramid stuff. Based on my Youtube search, its very poppy-dancy in my ears, and that's something I expect many will want to avoid at Glastonbury. (Tho this thread makes me very much doubt my assumption).

Their last album was massive and they haven't toured in 10 years

I don't mean to be rude but you're just a bit... Wrong. Daft Punk will pull a huge crowd, even fake rumours of a secret set in 2013 whipped people up into a frenzy 

Yeah I'm willing to accept I'm probably wrong, hence why I'm surprised. Now I have a learned more about them tho. The fact is that, since I don't listen to music like this, I've never heard of this 06/07 tour, and I don't know what "A lot of what's happened in the US with EDM music" is. So the size of their crowd may depend on whether others who don't like dancy music are as clueless as me on it, or not.

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

Yeah I'm willing to accept I'm probably wrong, hence why I'm surprised. Now I have a learned more about them tho. The fact is that, since I don't listen to music like this, I've never heard of this 06/07 tour, and I don't know what "A lot of what's happened in the US with EDM music" is. So the size of their crowd may depend on whether others who don't like dancy music are as clueless as me on it, or not.

i think with electronic music becoming more popular by the day and the shift in crowd at Glastonbury they'll pull a huge crowd. even if people aren't that familiar with their name on announcement they'll soon listen and realise these songs have been the soundtrack to many of their nights out/TV adverts/entire 2013. not for everybody of course but the return of Daft Punk as a live act is definitely a big deal. i just hope it can live up to the hype when/if it eventually happens, because the hype is unreal

7 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I think the size of their crowd is not so much about them being dance music - but the fact that they are one of the most anticipated and requested headliners (for a long while), never headlined before with a fair portion of the audience who have probably never seen them before.

With get lucky still fresh in people's minds, paired with their new music and the media hype of a comeback tour - they will have no issue packing out the pyramid. Filling it right up to the back

I think you also seem a bit focused on this being "dance music". We obviously don't know what form any show next year will take, but the 2007 Alive album is more or less a rock record with whopping great riffs all the way through it and dynamics more or less tailored to ratchet up the excitement in a crowd.

Prime example:

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think you also seem a bit focused on this being "dance music". We obviously don't know what form any show next year will take, but the 2007 Alive album is more or less a rock record with whopping great riffs all the way through it and dynamics more or less tailored to ratchet up the excitement in a crowd.

Prime example:

Interesting. That sounds much lesser poppy than the YouTube songs I recognized, like One More Time and Around The World. Tho it still sounds like dance music to me (speaking as someone who probably doesn't really know what 'dance' music means, as I never listen to it). I say that because its extremely repetitive, which bores me. I agree its got a slightly rockier sound tho.

It's good to hear this tho. When Kanye was announced I equally thought it wasn't for me, but I gave My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy a try and adored it, turning him into a must-see. (Erm, tho ultimately that was a regret of course!!)