Rock Werchter 2017

Red Day

It's good for me as well, but it's very poorly divided for my taste. Sat & Sun - there will be clashes, whereas Thu & Fri will see a lot of holes in the timetable.

But overall a good one indeed ! But when you start from the very top you can't just stay there until the end :)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Always amazes me how much you know about festivals around Europe, totally in awe. :P;)

I'll take the sarcasm haha, the issue with some of it is for me like Nova Rock, there is a couple of headliners and I admit with Nova they have 3 in this case where going back 4/5 years I'd have been loving it. By the same token though, RW also have a couple I've seen and happy not to bother again. I agree that Nova as well is going to put it's bigger one's clashing but it also includes about 5/6 acts for me that I'd go for more and if they share one you like it's a bonus. Hurricane also had 3 like that but I don't think I'd pay for that.

Can we just agree that RW is better than Reading ;P

Man, I hope i'm wrong and prophets of rage don't clash with kings of leon and play on main stage, but can't see it happening at this moment, adding another tent headliner to that date would make the day too stacked on big names compared to the others. If they do clash in the end, I think I will have to see KoL in Romania and drop them on werchter in favor of PoR.

All in all,even if we can't agree on the undercard being weaker, I think at least the tent headliners are a bit weaker than on the previous years.

2 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Man, I hope i'm wrong and prophets of rage don't clash with kings of leon and play on main stage, but can't see it happening at this moment, adding another tent headliner to that date would make the day too stacked on big names compared to the others. If they do clash in the end, I think I will have to see KoL in Romania and drop them on werchter in favor of PoR.

All in all,even if we can't agree on the undercard being weaker, I think at least the tent headliners are a bit weaker than on the previous years.

I think maybe Imagine Dragons are Barn headliners with Prophets of Rage being on the main stage...

What's up with this downvoting for no reason whatsoever jeez

Anyways, bummer about Live. Thought they were solid for RW or Classic, but guess not. Well done of Pinkpop tho.. Even though Five Finger Death Punch was announced as an exclusive for 013, they're announced for Pinkpop. Could the same thing happen with GMM and RW? The saturday still needs some big names when you look at the Fb poster, strange they didn't put Above & Beyond in the second line. I think they're solid for closing the Klub C on Saturday and absolute legends in the trance scene 

8 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I think maybe Imagine Dragons are Barn headliners with Prophets of Rage being on the main stage...

Could be the other way around aswell :P Dont think they're gonna let Imagine Dragons clash with Kings Of Leon, then again what if Arcade Fire gets to play before Kings Of Leon? 

50 minutes ago, idioteque87 said:

I've seen Radiohead about 3 times and they've always played FPT. 

I'm hoping that they play idioteque... 

Really? I've seen them 4 times now, but never did they play FPT. Did play Idioteque every time though. Can't wait to see them twice again this year!!

Really surprised that Pinkpop managed to book Live, so far their only European date. A week later they'll be in Canada, not sure if they be back in Europe to do more festivals.

second show in Taormina is Vedder's last European gig.

how come so far nobody mentioned here M.I.A? She's playing Garorock on Saturday.

i agree that we can forget about Killers, Kasabian, Biffy. Still have to admit that's the best line-up of the year, even if I can't stand some acts, mostly Saturday ones

8 minutes ago, pete76 said:

Really surprised that Pinkpop managed to book Live, so far their only European date. A week later they'll be in Canada, not sure if they be back in Europe to do more festivals.

second show in Taormina is Vedder's last European gig.

how come so far nobody mentioned here M.I.A? She's playing Garorock on Saturday.

i agree that we can forget about Killers, Kasabian, Biffy. Still have to admit that's the best line-up of the year, even if I can't stand some acts, mostly Saturday ones

Live posted on Facebook that Pinkpop is their only European show this year. 

17 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

To the people who genuinely think this lineup is great: can I ask how old you are?

Because I'm 29 and even I think that a lot (the majority) of acts are aimed at a younger audience this year. Which is a shame because me and my brother bought a combi ticket for our dad's birthday, who loves RW, but didn't go for the past 5 years. And since last year's line up had so much great legendary acts (New Order, PJ Harvey, RHCP, Iggy Pop, Robert Plant, Paul McCartney (!)) he really wanted to go to Werchter again. So we bought him a ticket in december, knowing that we can trust RW as they always deliver on that part. 

But this year seems to be lacking great legacy acts with a decent 'back catalogue'. And for a festival with an audience that includes both young and older people, this seems very weird. Actually Radiohead is the only act that can be considered as legendary. And maybe Foo Fighters because of Dave Grohl (it IS a great act though!). 

And I don't even mean 'big, expensive headliners'. Bands like Dinosaur Jr, Pet Shop Boys, De La Soul, Byan Ferry, Van Morrison, A Tribe Called Quest, Richard Ashcroft, Liam Gallagher, Brian Wilson, Mavis Staples, The Roots (,...) are all touring. But instead they go for the 4th time Royal Blood in 4 years, Oscar & The Wolf who'll play that same first album for the 3rd time and acts like Birdy, Passenger and Kodaline who'll play their one hit from a couple of summers ago...

I'm 26 and I like the line up a lot.

But I have to admit you make some valid points. For the tents, they could have picked better, all the examples you gave would have been great Barn headliners or subs... and would have made the line up more diverse. I'm especially disappointed with the hip-hop acts picked, all newer artists I don't enjoy much, while they had better options. 

However, I also think all the headliners and subs chosen have a good back catalogue and are solid picks , no new bands that really appeal to teens and young people, except Chainsmokers. so I don't see any reason why an older audience wouldn't enjoy Arcade Fire or even SOAD... Also don't know what big legend they could have brought that is touring the Europe in this summer, there weren't many mentioned on this topic... maybe Sting? 

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

To the people who genuinely think this lineup is great: can I ask how old you are?

Because I'm 29 and even I think that a lot (the majority) of acts are aimed at a younger audience this year. Which is a shame because me and my brother bought a combi ticket for our dad's birthday, who loves RW, but didn't go for the past 5 years. And since last year's line up had so much great legendary acts (New Order, PJ Harvey, RHCP, Iggy Pop, Robert Plant, Paul McCartney (!)) he really wanted to go to Werchter again. So we bought him a ticket in december, knowing that we can trust RW as they always deliver on that part. 

But this year seems to be lacking great legacy acts with a decent 'back catalogue'. And for a festival with an audience that includes both young and older people, this seems very weird. Actually Radiohead is the only act that can be considered as legendary. And maybe Foo Fighters because of Dave Grohl (it IS a great act though!). 

And I don't even mean 'big, expensive headliners'. Bands like Dinosaur Jr, Pet Shop Boys, De La Soul, Byan Ferry, Van Morrison, A Tribe Called Quest, Richard Ashcroft, Liam Gallagher, Brian Wilson, Mavis Staples, The Roots (,...) are all touring. But instead they go for the 4th time Royal Blood in 4 years, Oscar & The Wolf who'll play that same first album for the 3rd time and acts like Birdy, Passenger and Kodaline who'll play their one hit from a couple of summers ago...

I love the line-up but I must admit that you are totally right ! (I'm 23 years old) Nevertheless the line-up is not over, and so I have the same hopes. There is clearly a lack of legendary performers. Beach Boys are touring, but playing at Cirque Royal in Brussels in june, so probably ruled out. Liam Gallagher is ruled out because of Les Ardentes. And I don't see any of these bands subheadline-sized for Friday and Sunday, except maybe The Roots... who are touring with Usher, under the name Usher & The Roots. (they play at North Sea Jazz...)

Pretenders are around as well, I can't really see them on the line-up but who knows.

So I really hope that Van Morrison will come ! Fingers crossed ! 

40 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

37 and I love the line up. 29...old? I dream of being 29 again and having hopes, dreams :sorry:....

So for my musical age which was the 90's you've got the likes of FF, Rage, Radiohead, LP, Blink, SOAD.

Add to that massive acts like AF, KoL and pepper with some of the best live acts going currently like crystal fighters, Frank Carter, Royal Blood and it is very appealing.

but, that said, it is music and tastes differ wildly. No festival is going to please everyone so you are always going to risk disappointment if you buy early.....

Hello, i'me a new French (maybe my english level will show you ;) ).

That will be my first Werchter but i can't imagine that the Main Stage's running order will not be Image Dragons - Arcade Fire - Kings of Leon (since the last change). ID is too much popular for a second stage isn't it ?

And Prophets of Rage can't play before ID ?