Radiohead Headlining 2017

The Nal

Still can't believe how, with just a couple of minor changes, much better the set they did at TRNSMT flowed that at Glastonbury. I still had an amazing time at Glastonbury but this should've been the set there too;

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2017/glasgow-green-glasgow-scotland-4be41bbe.html

5 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Still can't believe how, with just a couple of minor changes, much better the set they did at TRNSMT flowed that at Glastonbury. I still had an amazing time at Glastonbury but this should've been the set there too;

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/radiohead/2017/glasgow-green-glasgow-scotland-4be41bbe.html

Surprised by how little AMSP is on there.

32 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

That's similar to what they did in Manchester, and I still maintain the set and performance were better at that gig than Glastonbury.

Glastonbury had the crowd and the emotion though. Quite amazing how the crowd was more ravenous for it at a festival than their own headline show. The atmosphere was something else at Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

That's similar to what they did in Manchester, and I still maintain the set and performance were better at that gig than Glastonbury.

Glastonbury had the crowd and the emotion though. Quite amazing how the crowd was more ravenous for it at a festival than their own headline show. The atmosphere was something else at Glastonbury.

Manchester setlist was brilliant, but atmosphere wise it really wasn't to the same level of Glastonbury for me. I enjoyed the Manchester show a lot, but damn do I wish the two Manchester Arena shows had happened instead, if only for the two setlist experience. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

When they played it at the Roundhouse it was incredible, you could have heard a pin drop while they played it as the audience was completely in to it.

In front of the Pyramid. Less so...

Was fine where I was standing, to begin with anyway. 

16 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Picked up the vinyl of it yesterday, I'm really enjoying it too.

I was going to order it too but for some reason it’s pretty expensive, can’t find it cheaper than £28. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

This was the first time I’d heard other people singing along to this tune. One of those songs I only really listen to alone.

That's what made Glastonbury so special. There was a genuine sing along to most of the tracks, and for tracks like Let Down and Weird Fishes in particular, I've seen those tracks at their own shows and there wasn't a sing along. Made Glastonbury feel very unique.

The awe throughout Daydreaming, and the eruption from the crowd the second Ed started strumming the strings behind the nut of his guitar will forever be burned in to my memory. Daydreaming is the perfect intro to lead directly in to an all time banger. As incredible as it was to see them open with Let Down in Manchester, Daydreaming > Lucky was something else. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I was surrounded by moany twats for the first few songs. Really killed my buzz.

Yeah the first 30 mins sucked because I was surrounded by some drunk watchers who shouted “play an old song” after lucky. That sort of crew.

edit: lucky sorry

Edited by Matt42

This is a question I really didn't think I'd be asking so soon, but when do we reckon they could be in the frame to headline again? I really felt like 2017 could be the last time, or at least the last for a good decade+ until they return for a legacy set. Now I feel like maybe 2023 could be on the cards if it's true they were (pre-covid) looking to come back next year.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

This is a question I really didn't think I'd be asking so soon, but when do we reckon they could be in the frame to headline again? I really felt like 2017 could be the last time, or at least the last for a good decade+ until they return for a legacy set. Now I feel like maybe 2023 could be on the cards if it's true they were (pre-covid) looking to come back next year.

Way too soon, even if we hadn't had at least two fallows in the interim.  Sadly.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I pretty much agree with your original thinking. The 2017 set felt very much like their final headline set to me, the setlist was about as close to a legacy/hits set as you’ll get from Radiohead. If they do headline again I can see it being at least ten years away but I hope I’m wrong.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I envisage them as a once a decade act, back end of the 2020's would feel right.

44 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah the first 30 mins sucked because I was surrounded by some drunk watchers who shouted “play an old song” after lucky. That sort of crew.

edit: lucky sorry

I was stuck next to some kids who were personally offended that they didn't open with Creep or Karma Police. They moaned through the first 5/6 songs before I (less than) politely advised them that if they weren't enjoying it then they should fornicate off to another stage as I was trying to enjoy it over their moaning.

I think they genuinely felt a little bad.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Yeah I think it’s a way off. Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Oasis are probably taking priority for British bands they want to “get back”. 

no I’m not comparing Radiohead to those acts but they in terms of British bands to play the festival again I reckon Glasto will be focused on those rather than calling up Radiohead.

I know they stayed away from the festival for so long, but I feel like if they have new material around 2023 and it's still top tier stuff, they could be in contention again.

The band seem a lot more laid back now, (playing tunes they hadn't previously played for a long time for example), just coming across as generally much more chill and having more fun. They may not stick to their previous rule of not wanting to play Glastonbury too often. Who know - they just seem to me a more open and laid back than in the past. There was always that weird Radiohead mystique, but (to me at least) that seems to have gone.

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

I know they stayed away from the festival for so long, but I feel like if they have new material around 2023 and it's still top tier stuff, they would certainly be in contention again.

The band seem a lot more laid back now, (playing tunes they hadn't previously played for a long time for example), just coming across as generally much more chill and having more fun. They may not stick to their previous rule of not wanting to play Glastonbury too often. Who know - they just seem to me a more open and laid back than in the past. There was always that weird Radiohead mystique, but (to me at least) that seems to have gone.

Didn’t this happen at the time where Thom was going through some rough personal issues? They definitely stripped back their appearances during that time. I do agree though they seem way more “accessible” than they have in the past. I think it probably helps that they all have a healthy balance of solo projects and Radiohead commitments. I do wish they toured AMSP a bit more though. Seems like they do one run of dates and then that’s it. It’s hard if you can’t see them the first time.