Brexit at Glastonbury 2016 - a video compilation

Sidasta

If you must know, I voted leave because my disabled son has a life shortening condition and the drugs to save his life are not available in this country but France and Germany are allowed them. Under the EU he will NEVER get them. But by leaving he may now do. It's a no brained and leaving EU may of just prolonged his life. 

Edited by stonedhenge

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, stonedhenge said:

If you must know, I voted leave because my disabled son has a life shortening condition and the drugs to save his life are not available in this country but France and Germany are allowed them. Under the EU he will NEVER get them. But by leaving he may now do. It's a no brained and leaving EU may of just prolonged his life. 

Thanks for replying. I'm not asking for details,  but can you explain the issue why the drugs were blocked and how being out will unblock them? Just generally, I'm interested,  thanks.

Sounds like a very good personal reason.

To suggest that everything theeave campaign said is crap is as bad as being voting to leave in my mind. 

Some of their points are valid, the EU membership has in part led to lower wages, and increased property prises / strains on the housing market. However, the sum of All the parts to be at least outweighs the decision to leave. 

However, we on this forum are fortunate we have money to attend Glastonbury there are tens if not hundreds of thousands who for them life is really shit, they have gambled on it getting better if we leave. If I was in their position maybe I'd hVe felt it was worth he gamble too. I don't know. 

I cannot imagine anything more traumatic than the prospect of losing your child, nor anything that would make me more angry than being denied treatment that I knew was available. In this respect my heart genuinely goes out to you.

.....and that's why this is difficult, because 2 things occur to me immediately.

firstly, Like @ManchesterGlasto, I feel it I more likely to be NHS cuts than the EU that is causing this. I can't think what mechanism of the EU would make treatments available in some countries and not others. I am genuinely curious about this and of course, willing to be put straight. I am sure you looked into it.

secondly, you just voted away your right to live, work and receive free medical treatment in France and Germany, which may have been a quicker route to getting what you need (and still is for a couple of years)

I can see that you voted for totally genuine reasons though, and I really really hope you find what you need. I send all my very best wishes, love and luck to you and your son.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/22/transcript-professor-michael-dougan-eu-referendum/

the problem is, people were saying that they needed facts. They got them from experts like Michael Dougan. Then 'Leave' turned that into "experts don't always get it right". Well actually, they usually do; that's what makes them experts. Over 90% of UK economists and close to 100% outside the UK said leaving was a bad idea. The Washington Post called the decision 'the most bizarre suicide note ever written by a nation'. I defy anyone to read Dougan's transcript and find one single thing in it that he has got wrong. Leave voters fall into three categories; those who were conned, those who are stupid and those who are racist. I'd say the split was about 30-40-30. 

2 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Nope, just one of the 30 million that didn't vote to leave the EU.

30 million? Not sure you can count those who didn't bother to vote. If they had wanted to make their views known, I would imagine they'd have turned up at the polling station.

I believe the actual numbers were that 17,410,742 voted to Leave (51.9%) while 16,141,241 voted to Remain (48.1%). A narrow margin, indeed, but still a decisive result.

Time to move forward and make the best of it in my view. 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Is that 66.3 Ossett or Wakefield? Either way I'm ashamed. Shaking in despair and anger here watching that video at the start of this thread. 

Pj nearly had me in tears again!!! 

66.3% is Wakefield.  I'm not sure how Ossett actually did but I can imagine it higher considering the fucking UKIP fiasco!  The breakdown map is pretty depressing for this area.  Even Kirklees with its hugely diverse demographic voted leave.

Tempted to move to Leeds, Harrogate or York who, as far as I can see, are the only places who voted to stay

1 hour ago, JanieM28 said:

30 million? Not sure you can count those who didn't bother to vote. If they had wanted to make their views known, I would imagine they'd have turned up at the polling station.

I believe the actual numbers were that 17,410,742 voted to Leave (51.9%) while 16,141,241 voted to Remain (48.1%). A narrow margin, indeed, but still a decisive result.

Time to move forward and make the best of it in my view. 

The point is that the majority of the electorate didn't vote to leave the EU, for whatever reasons they have. Perhaps they thought they didn't need to as they presumed their vote wasn't needed, perhaps they were appalled by the awful campaigns on both sides and turned off from politics, perhaps they didn't care enough about the Referendum (but quite a few will now, I'll bet) - who knows?

The fact is that only 37% of the electorate  voted to Leave which is still a minority. There should have been a minimum threshold of turnout or support for either side before such a binding decision would be recognised but hindsight apart that was (yet another) of Cameron's failings.

As for moving on - we can only do that once this monumental fuckshow is sorted out. And that ain't looking like any time soon.

I was pleased to get home and find that Wirral & Liverpool has voted remain but it looks like we're surrounded by people who bought the lies of the leave campaign.

I think part of the problem is that the media, for the most part, are too busy being seen to be impartial to pull up the bullshitters and rip them apart. I know John Oliver has his detractors but we need shows like his in the UK.

By the way, feel the stupid at around 5:35 on this...

31 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

The point is that the majority of the electorate didn't vote to leave the EU, for whatever reasons they have. Perhaps they thought they didn't need to as they presumed their vote wasn't needed, perhaps they were appalled by the awful campaigns on both sides and turned off from politics, perhaps they didn't care enough about the Referendum (but quite a few will now, I'll bet) - who knows?

The fact is that only 37% of the electorate  voted to Leave which is still a minority. There should have been a minimum threshold of turnout or support for either side before such a binding decision would be recognised but hindsight apart that was (yet another) of Cameron's failings.

As for moving on - we can only do that once this monumental fuckshow is sorted out. And that ain't looking like any time soon.

I take your points on board  - the campaign on both sides was excreable, and I suspect people didn't vote for a mixture of all the reasons you mention, as well as laziness.

However, I would remind you that because of our current voting system we have a Conservative government in place who got a mere 36.1% of the total vote last year. Even Labour with its landslide win in 1997 scored less than half of the total with 43.2%.

It's how it works.

Regarding the 'fuckshow', I am more astonished at the fact that, as a country, both main parties are in complete disarray. It beggars belief that Cameron didn't stay in place for a few months at least to hold the fort while we all gathered ourselves together to think about the next step.

The sooner both sides get their bloody act together, the sooner we can think about the way to take the matter of Brexit forward. They're all a bunch of fuckwits, frankly!

Edited by JanieM28

2 hours ago, Digi said:

66.3% is Wakefield.  I'm not sure how Ossett actually did but I can imagine it higher considering the fucking UKIP fiasco!  The breakdown map is pretty depressing for this area.  Even Kirklees with its hugely diverse demographic voted leave.

Tempted to move to Leeds, Harrogate or York who, as far as I can see, are the only places who voted to stay

I assume you have seen the guy that was interviewed outside the Interchange (built with EU funding on a payment laid wth EU funding) in Barnsley on channel 4 news? Anyway for the others out there... 

https://youtu.be/SFjfbL1KWNI

2 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

I take your points on board  - the campaign on both sides was excreable, and I suspect people didn't vote for a mixture of all the reasons you mention, as well as laziness.

However, I would remind you that because of our current voting system we have a Conservative government in place who got a mere 36.1% of the total vote last year. Even Labour with its landslide win in 1997 scored less than half of the total with 43.2%.

It's how it works.

Regarding the 'fuckshow', I am more astonished at the fact that, as a country, both main parties are in complete disarray. It beggars belief that Cameron didn't stay in place for a few months at least to hold the fort while we all gathered ourselves together to think about the next step.

The sooner both sides get their bloody act together, the sooner we can think about the way to take the matter of Brexit forward. They're all a bunch of fuckwits, frankly!

The campaign on both sides can't be compared. 'Leave' simply lied, and Remain to a large extent told the truth. You can't take Brexit forward; it's a matter of walking off a cliff - we will take baby steps to do it. I really don't think enough people have actually grasped what was voted for. 

I've watched both this and the Scottish referendum divide and separate friends and families possibly forever and have come to the conclusion that they aren't good things. Bad result , I still get a feeling they won't go through with it though. 

Edited by Sack truck

7 hours ago, bunfight said:

Leave voters fall into three categories; those who were conned, those who are stupid and those who are racist. I'd say the split was about 30-40-30. 

Wow! You like your sweeping statements, don't you?

I never realised that various friends I've known for 30 years or more were racist, stupid and/or idiotic enough to accept everything at face value without checking the 'facts' out for themselves before making a decision.

Never seen any evidence of this before among the people I know, but I suppose you must be right seeing as you've said so.

6 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Wow! You like your sweeping statements, don't you?

I never realised that various friends I've known for 30 years or more were racist, stupid and/or idiotic enough to accept everything at face value without checking the 'facts' out for themselves before making a decision.

Never seen any evidence of this before among the people I know, but I suppose you must be right seeing as you've said so.

Well now you know. If they'd checked the facts what reason could they possibly have had for voting leave?

3 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I assume you have seen the guy that was interviewed outside the Interchange (built with EU funding on a payment laid wth EU funding) in Barnsley on channel 4 news? Anyway for the others out there... 

https://youtu.be/SFjfbL1KWNI

What a fucking cock... and I live alongside these people!

The 'you lost, get over it' attitude I've seen really demonstrates how angry a lot of Brexiters can get when presented with an opinion that isn't their own. 'Democracy' is a tool which allows you to share your views and opinions, it's not a defence for harmful or idiotic views and shouldn't be your only response when challenged. 

Edited by Alex DeLarge

30 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The 'you lost, get over it' attitude I've seen really demonstrates how angry a lot of Brexiters can get when presented with an opinion that isn't their own. 'Democracy' is a tool which allows you to share your views and opinions, it's not a defence for harmful or idiotic views and shouldn't be your only response when challenged. 

What else can they say though? There was no logical reason to vote leave.

As time passes and the catastrophe unfolds, less and less of these people will admit to it.

Most leave voters are now burning with shame and embarrassment. 

Imagine in 5 or 10 years time when your kids ask how you voted in the referendum which brought about the economic suicide of the country they live in, imagine having to tell them you voted for it.

I almost feel sorry for them.