Pyramid Barrier Layout / Over Crowding

JamesU2002

4 minutes ago, swede said:

Maybe I'm getting old before my years but my days of watching anyone on the pyramid in the pit are long gone.

Much rather be further back, especially the headliners as the views of that field full of life and energy are just breathtaking.

Same here, the view from the back to the middle is great. Sound is great too. Other stages I tend to get in a bit closer but not the pit these days. Maybe it is a consequence of getting older!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Same here, the view from the back to the middle is great. Sound is great too. Other stages I tend to get in a bit closer but not the pit these days. Maybe it is a consequence of getting older!

I'm only 34, I agree about getting closer for the other stage. I tried watching a couple of pyramid acts up close last year with my brothers group and didn't enjoy it, just felt like I was missing out on so much by not being able to see the field in front of me.

I also have old mans bladder so it's good to be able to have a stroll to the toilets whenever I want, plus that has the added bonus of bimbling back through the randomness if it's a decent crowd.

7 minutes ago, swede said:

I'm only 34, I agree about getting closer for the other stage. I tried watching a couple of pyramid acts up close last year with my brothers group and didn't enjoy it, just felt like I was missing out on so much by not being able to see the field in front of me.

I also have old mans bladder so it's good to be able to have a stroll to the toilets whenever I want, plus that has the added bonus of bimbling back through the randomness if it's a decent crowd.

I'm only 29! And I too seem to have old man's bladder, especially once on the liquor. 

Having said that I did get into the pit for the Stones and that was phenomenal. Not been back to a pit since - aside from what we've said maybe I wanted to preserve that particular experience! :)

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I still like to get down in the mix - I had to watch Beck on the screens cos the entire stagefront was obscured with flags.

The flags occasionally annoy me, only when they're blocking my view mind. Otherwise I quite like them.

See above for my thoughts on chairs though...

1 minute ago, djdavejohnson said:

I'm only 29! And I too seem to have old man's bladder, especially once on the liquor. 

Having said that I did get into the pit for the Stones and that was phenomenal. Not been back to a pit since - aside from what we've said maybe I wanted to preserve that particular experience! :)

I'm also a sucker for getting good sound, if the sounds shit and your near the front it's hard work getting out to a different spot. Much easier if your mid-back field to have a bimble about. 

I only watched Foals, Beck and the Syrian Orchestra on the Pyramid this year. Some of the stories in this thread explain exactly why. I just can't be doing with those sorts of crowds. You'll probably find me over in Avalon or West Holts, dancing in plenty of space and with all the ale and toilets I want within easy access.

On 28 June 2016 at 11:03 PM, Sidasta said:

I was in the bit at the front for Ellie and Beck, waiting for Coldplay, but my girlfriend went to see Of Monsters and Men. She came back a good 30 mins before Beck finished but she couldn't get back in to meet me.

After Beck finished, I gave her five minutes to try and get back to me, but she was trapped just at the edge of the area. I came out to meet her under the right screen and it took me about 25 minutes to walk/stumble essentially 20 feet. One security guy was lifting some people out and ordering people to make a path so people could leave, and audience members were helping by pulling us all in the right direction.

My girlfriend suffered a "mild" panic attack trying to get out herself, ended up with the same security guy shouting at people to let her out and pushing people aside to help her (she was essentially being crushed against the barrier). It took her an extra 20 mins to travel the same distance. This was a good 30 mins before Coldplay even started.

Absolutely horrible. We watched from the "edge", about ten feet from where the screens were no longer visible, and even there, it was completely rammed and we could barely lift our arms.

I completely detest those who set up camp in that front area with their camping chairs and blankets. Whilst not the main problem here (that being bad crowd management by GFL in that area - don't know how to fix that other than maybe having a "no standing" area that can be used for exiting, or a one-way system at peak times, I dunno, not an expert), I do not think anything is helped by people blocking off a significant area which could be used by many more people. I also don't see how it's safe to block off an area that could be used to remove people in need of rescue - for example, saw another girl hyperventilating because she was trapped just five feet from the rear barrier because of those dickheads with their picnics.

In my opinion, no camping equipment should be allowed near the front of any main stage, and this should be immediately enforced. If someone wants to see a band that badly that they want to spend the entire day at that stage missing so many other great acts and probably seeing a load of stuff they don't even like in a PRIME location that would be really appreciated by true fans, then they can stand like the rest of us.

Not bitter at all, obviously.

Agree on the chairs situation - surely anyone wanting to sit and enjoy a performance can find room further back?

My days in the pit ( we call it the D because it was shaped like a D) are limited and yes when there we take chairs but we limit that to when the area is not too populated or earlier in the day, if it gets busy then we take them down. Having been for many years the problem is that some people think it's there god given rite to turn up 5 mins before the artist and squeeze to the front.  Both me and the wife are getting on so a chair is essential whilst out for the day but we never infringe on busy spaces with the chairs, having said that we never saw any Pyramid headliner, West Holt's on Friday the chairs were put away once it got busy for Underworld and placed behind barrier, New Order the chairs were away and Sunday we Left half way through LCD having sat at the rear in chairs. But I agree they should only be used in popular areas when the space allows. 

On 01/07/2016 at 6:33 PM, The Nal said:

The chairs are the issue. Simple as. Crowd looks much bigger than it is. People standing up for the headliners but leaving their chairs like a stadium seat open behind them. Row after row. The crowd at Adele was unbelievable for it. Trying to make our way in from the path up on the right. Fold up your fucking chairs!

I saw a lot of that in 2015. People either politely respected the inordinate amount of space they were taking up sat on their chairs with leg outstretched, or simply stood right in front of them. It was quite funny to watch the chair-sitters grow incensed at the idea somebody standing up would block their view, but what could they do? One couple looked back at me (I was behind them) and rolled their eyes as if to say 'get a load of this guy!' - soooo self-entitled.

I get why this might be a thing on the Sunday when locals arrive and the whole place seems to balloon, but Friday/Saturday folk need to wind their necks in and realise they have no special privilege to any more land than anyone else.

But... you don't want to inflame it, do you. So I move on to the next available space. Sigh.

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I saw a lot of that in 2015. People either politely respected the inordinate amount of space they were taking up sat on their chairs with leg outstretched, or simply stood right in front of them. It was quite funny to watch the chair-sitters grow incensed at the idea somebody standing up would block their view, but what could they do? One couple looked back at me (I was behind them) and rolled their eyes as if to say 'get a load of this guy!' - soooo self-entitled.

I get why this might be a thing on the Sunday when locals arrive and the whole place seems to balloon, but Friday/Saturday folk need to wind their necks in and realise they have no special privilege to any more land than anyone else.

But... you don't want to inflame it, do you. So I move on to the next available space. Sigh.

Despite how much the chair sitters piss me off, and they really do, I'll always make a conscious effort to find a suitable spot to stand that doesn't block anybody's view. Most attendees don't want to spark a potential situation.

However sometimes that isn't always possible and you're going to end up standing in front of somebody and blocking their view. If they're sitting down - they should stand up, end of. 

If you really want to sit down whilst watching Adele and Coldplay, then go see them at the O2 and Wembley, you know, where seating is provided where appropriate.

I was next to chair people at EW&F, they didn't put them away and didn't sit down once during the set, we got pushed and shoved a lot when people who couldn't see the chairs tried to squeeze through a non existent gap, the chair people didn't get pushed once as the chairs were like a wall behind them, really selfish behaviour. 
Charm x

1 hour ago, Charm said:

I was next to chair people at EW&F, they didn't put them away and didn't sit down once during the set, we got pushed and shoved a lot when people who couldn't see the chairs tried to squeeze through a non existent gap, the chair people didn't get pushed once as the chairs were like a wall behind them, really selfish behaviour. 
Charm x

That happened at Art Garfunkel too exacerbated by a couple of groups who thought it a great idea to remain on their picnic blankets right at the doorway as the crowd grew behind/around them.

God knows what the stewards would do in an emergency as those sitting down would just get trampled - they had small kids with them too. If the situation changes around you then you need to change as well, its not difficult is it.

I understand the need for the barriers, but fail to understand why the need to be so deep. At its mid point it could fit more than 10 people in line. It takes up a large volume. Zoom in on: https://glastomap.com/

At the Other before New Order I accidentally walked in between the open ended barriers. Were they allowing the crowd to stand inside it?

What could also be reduced are the sound/lighting desks. Last year I took a peak inside them. The size of the control boards these days are little larger than a suitcase. They could definitely lower the height of them.  

I'd be interested to know what that second barrier sticking back into the pit from the stage area was intended for, as it just seems to take up a lot of the audience area and make moving across the area at the front of the field much harder eg. between acts. Was it to allow performers to come down in 'among' the crowd? Did anyone use it for that? Was it there from Friday? I only noticed it for ELO, and Jeffy certainly didn't come down to meet & greet, he seemed to barely notice we were there! That bit of it is certainly new this year, as it's not on https://glastomap.com/ from 2015. Any thoughts?

Pyramid barrier 2016.jpg

On 28/6/2016 at 10:02 AM, kaytee... said:

That fence and the stupidly positioned ice cream van ended up in me getting stuck in a crush leaving halfway through the Madness set. At one point so many people were pushing forward that I didn't have anywhere to put my feet. Someone ended uo climbing the ice cream van to get out.

aye, that ice-cream fan is a complete nonsense.

1 hour ago, billum said:

I'd be interested to know what that second barrier sticking back into the pit from the stage area was intended for,

I imagine it's here to stay. Reading switched to this layout a couple of years ago. I'm not really sure why (no expert on crowd control), but I assume it's safer and may allow security to have better access to the mosh pit. 

I was shouted at for stepping on someones blanket  after leaping over most of it 

I tread on blankets freely in busy crowds. They just shouldn't be there. If there's nobody sitting on it, it's fair game, in my opinion!

I've never really had that bad of an experience with over-crowding before but Adele was something else. I was fairly close - I would say about 15-20 "rows" back from the right hand screen... but it was insanely busy. About half hour before she started it seemed to be ok but people still insisted on pushing past. At one point a girl said to me "CAN YOU LET ME THROUGH PLEASE!?" - Had to politlely tell her that there was absolutely no room and there wasn't a chance she was gonna be able to get past me. I've never know anything like it before. Horrendous.

23 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Chair sitters have got nothing on the people walking into the pit who come across the back of the crowd and just stop, creating a big bottleneck in the narrowest part of the stagefront when there's still tonnes of room at the back centre.

Have failed to get in a couple of times due to that. 

Same as the chair people. Ignorant space pigs. 

14 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I've never really had that bad of an experience with over-crowding before but Adele was something else. I was fairly close - I would say about 15-20 "rows" back from the right hand screen... but it was insanely busy. About half hour before she started it seemed to be ok but people still insisted on pushing past. At one point a girl said to me "CAN YOU LET ME THROUGH PLEASE!?" - Had to politlely tell her that there was absolutely no room and there wasn't a chance she was gonna be able to get past me. I've never know anything like it before. Horrendous.

I obviously can't defend the specifics, but broadly speaking there's a good chance that beyond the bit where you were all jammed in together there would have been space.

Having been in the pit for some of the mega-crowds - Stones, Dolly, Lionel - due to the aforementioned bottlenecks there's often far more room at the back in there than there is 20 yards away in the narrows in front of the speakers.