The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Someone said high gear, low revs - assume then lots of clutch usage I'll be stalling often?

Most cars will pull away fine in 2nd, some will struggle in 3rd (Smaller engine cars). Obviously as you are pulling away in 2nd you need more revs than in 1st but don't go mad or you'll just spin! If you're stuck, rocking can help to build up momentum! Failing that, get a push!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone on site tell us what the main pedestrian walkways are like (e.g from Pyramid > Old JP > Silver Hayes > Other, and around the Park area). I know getting in might be a bit nasty at the gates and where the heavy traffic has been but whats it like in the areas we are going to be walking through all day? Is it muddy? If it isn’t does it seem very wet such that a few thousand feet will churn it up as soon as they start walking through it from Wednesday? That’s the biggest ball ache, trudging through claggy mud to get from stage to stage for 3 days

2 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Can anyone on site tell us what the main pedestrian walkways are like (e.g from Pyramid > Old JP > Silver Hayes > Other, and around the Park area). I know getting in might be a bit nasty at the gates and where the heavy traffic has been but whats it like in the areas we are going to be walking through all day? Is it muddy? If it isn’t does it seem very wet such that a few thousand feet will churn it up as soon as they start walking through it from Wednesday? That’s the biggest ball ache, trudging through claggy mud to get from stage to stage for 3 days

They will be very muddy once we all arrive regardless of whether it rains again or not.

Be prepared for that and if it is not as bad then bonus.

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I imagine that the market walkway from behind pyramid towards Other will be muddy. It was a nightmare in 2014, seemed to take ages to walk that way.

On the webcams it looks like they've put woodchip on walkways near pyramid. The trucks that have been driving across pyramid field have churned it up a little in places so I expect that will also become muddy unless it dries up more before Friday.

22 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

Anyone even taking any footwear other than wellies/walking boots.

I'll be coming in on my trainers, but I doubt I'll be able to wear them. I am still trying to decide between my ankle high wellies or the knee high ones I bought. Do I need the high ones? 

Edited by Aeleanor

My concern is trolleys. In 2014, trying to get our back through the sticky mud on the Sunday nearly killed me. Any update on how the mud is looking? Wet mud is fine, it's the sticky stuff which causes the problems.

Just now, Anderson19 said:

Anyone even taking any footwear other than wellies/walking boots.

Hunter flippers for me.  I'll take some trail running trainer type things I've got for when it drys out I reckon (not that I've ever run on a trail in my life mind but they are quite grippy) 

1 minute ago, Amii said:

My concern is trolleys. In 2014, trying to get our back through the sticky mud on the Sunday nearly killed me. Any update on how the mud is looking? Wet mud is fine, it's the sticky stuff which causes the problems.

It will be mostly wet mud now but drying slowly. By Sunday who knows, depends on the weather.

I've got wellies and waterproof walking trainers rather than boots.  I can't really justify buying new walking boots, as I'll never use them again. I find the walking shoes are fine for the outdoors the rest of the year.  I also find walking boots really uncomfortable over my ankles.

Edited by uscore

2 minutes ago, uscore said:

I've got wellies and waterproof walking trainers rather than boots.  I can't really justify buying new walking boots, as I'll never use them again. I find the walking shoes are fine for the outdoors the rest of the year.  I also find walking boots really uncomfortable over my ankles.

Waterproof walking trainers are usually fine I just wear long socks rolled down a bit (football socks are perfect).

I have these and they cope well in mud. 

image.jpeg

As long as I can wear my walking boots and don't have to wear wellies, I don't mind about the mud so much. 

I am absolutely dreading the car park though. Going down in a fiesta ST that even in 2nd the wheels spin loads and to make matters worse could do with two new front tyres. I can see some pushing happening!