• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Time for replays to be scrapped?

Outdated system with an already clogged calendar.

The FA cup needs a kick up the arse, it's becoming as bad as the league cup now.

What? Seriously? 

If the calendar is already clogged then get rid of the shit that is clogging it. 

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think enough of football is based on what suits the big teams.  The replays are a valuable source of income for lower league clubs and must be maintained. For all the talk of clogging up the fixtures many premiership clubs would happily take a 39th game to make some more money.

To be fair out of the 'big' sides only Liverpool and spurs put weak sides out. When the likes of Bournemouth put out weak sides, you know something isn't quite right. Bournemouth no danger of relegation or no chance of European football.

Then again it's not just clubs that hold the cup with disregard, a lot of fans also do. This is probably more to do with cost, or to much football than anything else.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

For all the talk of clogging up the fixtures many premiership clubs would happily take a 39th game to make some more money.

Yup.

For example, I can remember Man Utd a few years ago complaining about there being no xmas break, just before they flew to the middle east or Asia to play some mid-season friendlies to top up the bank account.

The issue for those 'top' clubs isn't the number of fixtures, it's how those fixtures stop them cashing in much more money from somewhere else, the w*nkers.

Edited by eFestivals

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yup.

For example, I can remember Man Utd a few years ago complaining about there being no xmas break, just before they flew to the middle east or Asia to play some mid-season friendlies to top up the bank account.

I think you're referring to the World Club Final! :lol:

Interesting to note that as it stands, teams in La Liga and the Bundesliga have played 3-4 fewer games. I wonder why they do well in European competitions at the end of a season?! 

45 minutes ago, thetime said:

To be fair out of the 'big' sides only Liverpool and spurs put weak sides out. When the likes of Bournemouth put out weak sides, you know something isn't quite right. Bournemouth no danger of relegation or no chance of European football.

Then again it's not just clubs that hold the cup with disregard, a lot of fans also do. This is probably more to do with cost, or to much football than anything else.

I think teams have been relegated from similar positions to Bournemouth.  Im not really sure who the losers are from replays.   The small teams get the financial boost, the bigger teams get (should they choose) to give the youngsters a chance.  Fans of the bigger clubs still have a choice whether to watch a game or not. Neutral fans watching on tv can watch something else.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

This was more my point, fixtures getting switched back and forth. Sky are to blame too for putting games on daft days and daft times.

I also think the Europa League should be a knock out competition from the off with home and away legs. It would need a name change again though.

19 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The uefa cup was far better than the Europa league is. 

Isn't it just how teams/fans treat cups in general?

Europa/league cup/fa cup are treated more as a inconvenience rather than a trophy to win.

Mid table teams would rather plod along in mid table rather than a trophy. The top teams would rather 4th place rather than winning a cup 

2 minutes ago, big__phil said:

If you're talking about the cups, we should talk about two-legged league cup semis. What the hell is the point of that? Only at the semi final stage as well!

Granted this doesn't affect too many clubs, but it does wind me up...

What's wrong with them? It's worked since the competitions inception in 1961. 

Would you rather it a one off game played at a neutral venue? Or a one off game played at whichever team are drawn first? 

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

Europa/league cup/fa cup are treated more as a inconvenience rather than a trophy to win.

Mid table teams would rather plod along in mid table rather than a trophy. The top teams would rather 4th place rather than winning a cup 

Prize money difference between each finishing position in the league is more than the prize money for winning the FA Cup Final. 

That is why even mid table teams who have no chance of Europe and no chance of being relegated, still prioritise an otherwise meaningless league game over a cup game. 

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

Teams prioritise where the money is. If uefa and fa put more price money into cups clubs would gamble more on them. 

I think lots of clubs remember teams like Wigan and Birmingham winning cups in relegation seasons. 

11 minutes ago, big__phil said:

If you're talking about the cups, we should talk about two-legged league cup semis. What the hell is the point of that? Only at the semi final stage as well!

Granted this doesn't affect too many clubs, but it does wind me up...

Most interesting facet of the league cup imo. 

22 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

What's wrong with them? It's worked since the competitions inception in 1961. 

Would you rather it a one off game played at a neutral venue? Or a one off game played at whichever team are drawn first? 

Yeah I'd say ether of those senarios would be preferable. I'd also bring back neutral venues for FA cup semi finals while they were at it - for obvious reasons. Won't happen though - Wembley needs to make some money.

I think this was already discussed a while back when they were announced, but I for one was really pissed off with the games on telly over the weekend. United/Reading and Spurs/Villa had absolutely no right to be televised. I'd rather have watched Sutton/Wimbledon and Wycombe/Stourbridge.

I would enforce a rule that all non-league clubs that get to the third round are televised - with the lowest ranked vs highest ranked teams making up the other games if needed. I do not want to be watching Prem vs Championship.

Edit: sorry, I forgot to add Arsenal/Preston to that list of pointless games on telly (despite the fact Arsenal were terrible and should have got beat)

Edited by mjsell

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

I think you're referring to the World Club Final! :lol:

Interesting to note that as it stands, teams in La Liga and the Bundesliga have played 3-4 fewer games. I wonder why they do well in European competitions at the end of a season?! 

Nope, I'm referring to some mid-season games in Malaysia or Thailand or somewhere, that the Utd team flew off to play about 5 seconds after they'd moaned about too many games.

I can't remember the exact details now, but it's around 5 to 10 years ago. It very definitely happened.