Next Announcement thread

Matt42

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

But if there's really a 'special guest' slot on the post before Adele (and I think there is, there seems to be an info lock-down on that slot) I'm happy to take one charity bet that it'll be radiohead.

Go on then, I'll take you up on that. How does a fiver to WaterAid sound? Fiver from me if it is Radiohead, fiver from you if it isn't.

6 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

I have the day off Tuesday so it would be serendipity in action if the lineup dropped that day.

Although, it is just me in the office next week so I suppose I'm golden either way!

Digest it on your day off, work on your schedule on work's time for the rest of the week :D

53 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't really see the benefit of holding RH back. 

I don't mind it, adds a little bit of intrigue. It is the only way that a big act will be able to safely do a 'secret set' at Glastonbury these days and outside of this forum, quite a hefty percentage of people will have no idea that 'special guests' are (likely to be) Radiohead. Plus it means the old Glastonbury rumour mill will be in overdrive during the festival with everyone making up their own "I've heard it's xxxx".

There's no real benefit to holding it back but in an age when everyone has to know everything, it's a bit fun to just leave it as special guests

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

cool - yep, you're on. :)

If I'm taking a bet on it, I'm feeling pretty confident I'm on the winning side.

Good man. Happy to get this wrong, I'd love Radiohead to be there. Plus I'd rather give my money to WaterAid than Paddy Power - he's had enough of my cash over the years!

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I don't mind it, adds a little bit of intrigue. It is the only way that a big act will be able to safely do a 'secret set' at Glastonbury these days and outside of this forum, quite a hefty percentage of people will have no idea that 'special guests' are (likely to be) Radiohead. Plus it means the old Glastonbury rumour mill will be in overdrive during the festival with everyone making up their own "I've heard it's xxxx".

There's no real benefit to holding it back but in an age when everyone has to know everything, it's a bit fun to just leave it as special guests

Yep, especially as tickets have already sold out and RH already have a huge following - they don't need it to be announced beforehand...

I tell you, if it is left as special guests until the programme is given out I will be rifling through the thing like crazy before anything else happens. Probably even before the first sip of beer...

Am I right in thinking that this will be the 3rd year running that the main poster comes out with 'Special Guests' on it? We had Metallica in 2014, Libs last year and potentially Radiohead this year. Is 'Special Guests' becoming a thing in itself, in that this might become an annual thing, to hold back one big act (for contractual or whatever reasons)?

17 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Maybe they just like giving the punters a nice surprise.  It fosters goodwill, improves the atmosphere and leaves people with a feeling of bonhomie that they don't get from other festivals.  It's a community gesture.

Right - it seems everyone is pretty confident that the sub is gonna be RH. Does that mean we have to stop clutching at our Kendrick straws and accept he isn't going to be there, or is there still a chance he'll be on another stage/time?

6 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

Right - it seems everyone is pretty confident that the sub is gonna be RH. Does that mean we have to stop clutching at our Kendrick straws and accept he isn't going to be there, or is there still a chance he'll be on another stage/time?

No space for him elsewhere unfortunately. Headlining next year seems the best bet. 

2 minutes ago, sophlamb said:

There's always a chance, but I don't think life is beautiful enough for us to be given Radiohead AND Kendrick.