guypjfreak

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it myself. Each to their own. If you look on the Radiohead thread its full of 'amazing' and 'breathtaking' comments yet I thought it was more unlistenable dreary whiney shite although at least it's actually slightly listenable this time. Haven't done anything any good since The Bends and half of OK Computer yet they are held up as never done anything wrong. 

Can see the point on repetitive lyrics but Adored is similar and most say that's a classic.

Can't all like the same things can we. It's a 3 and a half minute pop/rock song which has been put out mainly for the gigs I would say and as a taster for the album. If it was the best song ever made I would imagine it would still get slated by many on here. 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sounds okay to me. Bit bland; old school boring; not very innovative if this is the first thing they've done in 20 years. But then, while I know they, apparently, brought out a couple of seminal albums all those years ago, I don't know either of them so I have nothing to compare that song to. Anyway, that song certainly wouldn't make me dash across the si te from somewhere to see themif they performed at Glasto. 

Besides, someone on here has said they've seen them live recently and lead vocalist's voice is shot to pieces. Thanks for posting the link though, stuartbert.

I suppose I would just say 'Nothing to see here - move along now'. ( With apologies to fans). 

I've only heard a snippet, caught the end of it on 6, I was expecting it to be dreadful, so was quite surprised that it sounded ok-ish. I'll give it a proper listen tomorrow, no doubt Keavney will blast in the morning 

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And they didn't play elephant stone - glaring omission for me. Only played love spreads and ten storey love song off second coming iirc. 

Absoloutely!!!

In fact, fuck me - how good is Elephant Stone?! Why didn't they just re release that last night?

Rather than upset me, to the point it's 1:30am and Im getting wound up on the internet... bastards!!

5 hours ago, JanieM28 said:

Sounds okay to me. Bit bland; old school boring; not very innovative if this is the first thing they've done in 20 years. But then, while I know they, apparently, brought out a couple of seminal albums all those years ago, I don't know either of them so I have nothing to compare that song to. Anyway, that song certainly wouldn't make me dash across the si te from somewhere to see themif they performed at Glasto. 

Besides, someone on here has said they've seen them live recently and lead vocalist's voice is shot to pieces. Thanks for posting the link though, stuartbert.

I suppose I would just say 'Nothing to see here - move along now'. ( With apologies to fans). 

That song certainly would not mate but the debut album would. Make time this weekend to listen to the debut album. It would be one of the best decisions you ever make. Its not hyperbole when I say its one of the greatest British pop albums of all time.

Had a few beers last night and now they have wore off I still don't like the tune. It sounds like something left over from The Seahorses. People have nailed it, where is the rhythm section? 

If they had just dropped it then fair enough but all that build up and hype for one pretty poor song was overkill.

6 hours ago, wozwebs said:

Love it myself. Each to their own. If you look on the Radiohead thread its full of 'amazing' and 'breathtaking' comments yet I thought it was more unlistenable dreary whiney shite although at least it's actually slightly listenable this time. Haven't done anything any good since The Bends and half of OK Computer yet they are held up as never done anything wrong. 

In this example, someone who dislikes Radiohead continues to dislike Radiohead because they've released an album that's of a piece with the majority of their work.

In the case of this thread it's people who love the Stone Roses starting to dislike them as for the first time ever they've released something entirely without merit. 

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Bloke on cookdandbombd has nailed it:

I can't argue with that. Its all Britpop and no Baggy. Its exactly how that Seahorses album would have sounded if Ian Brown had sang it rather than Chris Helme.

8 hours ago, robalotalob said:

Didn't realise they were doing the England Euro footie song :unsure:

My cynical mind thought this too!! It's so stupidly catchy. If you can get a load of fans singing this, then they'll drag out the old stuff and it'll pay off!!

The mixed up thing with joining hands (nice) with making a wall (dumb).

Tune is a Roses sound and it'll wear in. Expectations were high and this is a little bit meh, but no doubt I'll be off my tits and stood up singing it in Manchester in a few weeks time.

Even the artwork is shite!

Perhaps they've deliberately released a throwaway single to begin with, to appease the masses, so they can suprise us all with a series of darker Somethings Burning / Begging You style releases... or is that clutching at straws.

Having listened again, it's not as bad as I originally thought. It's just disappointing that it's so vanilla.