Strongest and weakest sets of headliners?

VCK

Strongest was probably 2009, three absolutely massive bands, and three of the biggest bands in the world at the time. 2012 was very strong as well. Foo Fighters and Kasabian are obviously huge names, but The Cure who still fill arenas and are one of the most influential bands of the past 30 years were a coup.

Weakest was 2004. The Darkness, a band who had only been around a year, The White Stripes, who while big enough to headline by that point were only booked because they pulled out the previous year, and a pre-American Idiot incarnation of Green Day, before their revival. That or 2010. A great line-up, but Guns N' Roses without Slash, Arcade Fire who were at that stage unproven headliners, and a reformed Blink 182 who never headlined any festivals when they were around the first time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, Arctic Monkeys can only just be described as one of the biggest bands in the world so they definitely weren't in 2009, when they were perhaps entering their lowest level of popularity. Green Day were just starting to promote American Idiot when they played too, and I remember that song was massive all summer, so they definitely benefited from a resurgence before playing.

Trouble is, it's pretty difficult to look back on these and judge how strong/weak it was unless you were paying attention at the time and not thrown off by hindsight. It'd be easy to label The Darkness as a weak headliner because of how sudden it appeared and how brief they were popular but they were the biggest band in the UK at the time, and that's what they should be trying to do init.

2008 I'd say was the strongest overall. Last year I'd argue the weakest- or maybe that year Razorlight headlined. 2009 & 2012 also v strong.

Interesting how Metallica feature in the strongest & the weakest again but then again it's not really that interesting; moreso futile

7 hours ago, VCK said:

Strongest was probably 2009, three absolutely massive bands, and three of the biggest bands in the world at the time. 2012 was very strong as well. Foo Fighters and Kasabian are obviously huge names, but The Cure who still fill arenas and are one of the most influential bands of the past 30 years were a coup.

Weakest was 2004. The Darkness, a band who had only been around a year, The White Stripes, who while big enough to headline by that point were only booked because they pulled out the previous year, and a pre-American Idiot incarnation of Green Day, before their revival. That or 2010. A great line-up, but Guns N' Roses without Slash, Arcade Fire who were at that stage unproven headliners, and a reformed Blink 182 who never headlined any festivals when they were around the first time.

I would kind of agree with 2010, I never thought Blink should have headlined which was obviously because of reunion hype, I barely knew who AF were but Pendulum were my choice that night anyway and Guns at Leeds was amazing so I wasn't fussed. I'll see them with Slash but as I hadn't before so it wasn't such a kick in the teeth. 2010 was my fav year though, you can't knock two huge reunions either way and the weather at Leeds at least was the best I've known.

Strongest The Darkness, White Stripes and Green Day as I did go see all three of them (minus half a set so I could see Mark Lanegan) which I don't think I've ever done before or since.

Weakest, last year as I didn't give a shit at all or Pumpkins, Chili Peppers and Razorlight.

37 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'd go for 2008 and 2012 for the strongest, and 2008 and 2011 for the weakest. 

2008 is both the strongest and weakest?

Edited by jump

92 best. Nirvana, Stuffies, Public Enemy.
Three of the biggest bands in three totally different musical fields. Incredible weekend.

Last year, weakest for me by a distance (except any year with Blink anywhere near the top).
Friday...Plodding MOR
Saturday...Rock Dinosaurs
Sunday...Past their prime indie heroes (best of the poor bunch)

1 hour ago, jump said:

Strongest The Darkness, White Stripes and Green Day as I did go see all three of them (minus half a set so I could see Mark Lanegan) which I don't think I've ever done before or since.

Weakest, last year as I didn't give a shit at all or Pumpkins, Chili Peppers and Razorlight.

2008 is both the strongest and weakest?

Shit. I meant 2007 and 2011. 

On 1/13/2016 at 0:47 AM, dentalplan said:

Hmm, Arctic Monkeys can only just be described as one of the biggest bands in the world so they definitely weren't in 2009, when they were perhaps entering their lowest level of popularity. Green Day were just starting to promote American Idiot when they played too, and I remember that song was massive all summer, so they definitely benefited from a resurgence before playing.

Trouble is, it's pretty difficult to look back on these and judge how strong/weak it was unless you were paying attention at the time and not thrown off by hindsight. It'd be easy to label The Darkness as a weak headliner because of how sudden it appeared and how brief they were popular but they were the biggest band in the UK at the time, and that's what they should be trying to do init.

Yes it's almost as if such an exercise is a complete waste of time.

2011 was really badly received by people, I was 19 and I remember people going on about the line up being really bad when V Festival had Eminem and The Arctic Monkeys who were both massively popular. I think that was the first year it didn't sell out quickly after a long run of doing so.

Funnily enough, from a personal point of view, I remember it as being the best line-up (probably because that's the one where I first discovered clashfinders and hence did not miss all the bands). Stupidly, I wasn't into MCR at the time and spent Saturday night between Beady Eye and Unkle. Pulp on the Sunday still stands up as one of the best gigs I have ever seen. Not into Muse but their set was really good for them, pretty much the best they'll ever be in my eyes, enjoyed it immensely. Then DFA1979, Metronomy, Warpaint, Fucked Up, Yuck, Cage The Elephant, Panic At The Disco, Jimmy Eat World. Good weekend.