2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

30 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Is that the rumour? Bugger.

It's a terrific record but not the record I was expecting from them next. They're on the cusp of being a real big thang and it's sort of a hark back to the early days with all its silliness and stuff, so not the thing that I was thinking would take them up a level.

Maybe this was just a bit of a project and there's another album on the horizon - the promo for this one has been super low-key so I guess no tour nor festivals would make sense if they're moving straight on. 

Joe made it on his own in his bedroom. He said he intentionally made it without touring in mind and has no plans to tour it. But that's not to say they wont put some shows together at some point. It could well be the logistics of it that have meant no shows, they intentionally took a break this year, the band are all off doing different things and Joe made the album on a whim.

Were they on the cusp of being big though? I mean, I love them, they're one of my favourite bands, but I don't really feel them becoming really popular at any point. They've sort of plateaued from where they were at the time of the Mercury nomination for The English Rivera. Their crowd when they headlined Festival No 6 was quite a bit smaller than B&S, Grace Jones and James', even though there was nothing else on.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Joe made it on his own in his bedroom. He said he intentionally made it without touring in mind and has no plans to tour it. But that's not to say they wont put some shows together at some point. It could well be the logistics of it that have meant no shows, they intentionally took a break this year, the band are all off doing different things and Joe made the album on a whim.

Were they on the cusp of being big though? I mean, I love them, they're one of my favourite bands, but I don't really feel them becoming really popular at any point. They've sort of plateaued from where they were at the time of the Mercury nomination for The English Rivera. Their crowd when they headlined Festival No 6 was quite a bit smaller than B&S, Grace Jones and James', even though there was nothing else on.

That's because of all the old duffers at FN6 yo. They sold out Alexandra Palace on their last tour and I think that's the biggest venue in the country below arena level so that's a pretty big gig to leave off on. I'd put a roll of fivers on them headlining Latitude on the next album tour - that's the sort of 'big' I was on about rather than anything ginormous.

Just now, dentalplan said:

That's because of all the old duffers at FN6 yo. They sold out Alexandra Palace on their last tour and I think that's the biggest venue in the country below arena level so that's a pretty big gig to leave off on. I'd put a roll of fivers on them headlining Latitude on the next album tour - that's the sort of 'big' I was on about rather than anything ginormous.

I like your positive thinking, I was worried they'd be resigned to BBC6 headliners at Latitude next time they were around. They do deserve to headline Latitude and would be the perfect band for it, I was hoping they'd do it on the last tour. Nice to hear they sold out a big venue, I saw them do Albert Hall in Manchester on the last tour, I think it sold out, but the crowd seemed oddly disinterested. Loads of middle aged media-city looking c**ts done up like they were going out for a night round Deansgate locks, talking all the way through it/ hanging around the bar. I got funny looks for dancing and singing along. Made me wonder if there'd been a rumour going round some office block somewhere that it was a really trendy gig to go to. Maybe this is one rare instance where thatLondon knows what's good.

24 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I like your positive thinking, I was worried they'd be resigned to BBC6 headliners at Latitude next time they were around. They do deserve to headline Latitude and would be the perfect band for it, I was hoping they'd do it on the last tour. Nice to hear they sold out a big venue, I saw them do Albert Hall in Manchester on the last tour, I think it sold out, but the crowd seemed oddly disinterested. Loads of middle aged media-city looking c**ts done up like they were going out for a night round Deansgate locks, talking all the way through it/ hanging around the bar. I got funny looks for dancing and singing along. Made me wonder if there'd been a rumour going round some office block somewhere that it was a really trendy gig to go to. Maybe this is one rare instance where thatLondon knows what's good.

Mmm that's a bit weird. I was gonna go to that one, can't remember why I didn't - probably skint. Just looking at it now; Teleman supporting is one of the most appropriate support acts I've seen on a bill. They're like Metronomy's teenage son from a brief romance with Belle & Sebastian.

But yeah I think Metronomy should still be on course. Not sure of the when because this album might have pushed things back a bit but I'm glad it happened as Nights Out is a much treasured album in my collection.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Mmm that's a bit weird. I was gonna go to that one, can't remember why I didn't - probably skint. Just looking at it now; Teleman supporting is one of the most appropriate support acts I've seen on a bill. They're like Metronomy's teenage son from a brief romance with Belle & Sebastian.

But yeah I think Metronomy should still be on course. Not sure of the when because this album might have pushed things back a bit but I'm glad it happened as Nights Out is a much treasured album in my collection.

I gave that Teleman album a go yesterday, mainly cos they're playing on the Thursday at End of the Road. it's pretty pretty good. Didn't they used to be someone fairly mediocre in a previous incarnation? I think I'd written them off, but was really impressed with that new one.

11 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I gave that Teleman album a go yesterday, mainly cos they're playing on the Thursday at End of the Road. it's pretty pretty good. Didn't they used to be someone fairly mediocre in a previous incarnation? I think I'd written them off, but was really impressed with that new one.

A couple of them used to be in Pete and the Pirates. Teleman are brilliant - much better 

Just going back to Metronomy (sorry), I really like this record. Nights Out for me is their best record by a distance, so any return to that sound is very welcome indeed.

As others have said, they won't be touring it, so go and buy the album, from an actual record shop! It'll probably be the only way they will make money from this (very good) record.

Now that Glastonbury is done I have Minor Victories and Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve records to listen to (I have a strict Glasto-only music regime in the weeks prior). Anyone heard either of these? They probably would have both passed me by if it wasn't for Rough Trade's album of the month, which is well worth the money for anyone interested.

17 hours ago, zero000 said:

Pretty sure that's the case mate :( . My friend works for a music PR company, who have done some work for Metronomy and he told me they're not touring the record.

Friends of Joe have also told me a similar thing. Reckon we could get a DJ set like at Field Day but that will probably be it unless plans change of course. 

18 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Now that Glastonbury is done I have Minor Victories and Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve records to listen to (I have a strict Glasto-only music regime in the weeks prior). Anyone heard either of these? They probably would have both passed me by if it wasn't for Rough Trade's album of the month, which is well worth the money for anyone interested.

I picked up the new Wizard's Sleeve song on BBC6M new music playlist, and I shall definitely be trying the album based on that.  Sounded good.

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

King Gizzard are a great band to be a fan of, that's for sure.

They are playing at an "indoor festival" at the Ritz in manchester on 9th Sept. 15 quid, apparently there will be a load of acts on throughout the night.

Just 15 quid to see the Gizzards again will do me!

24 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

They are playing at an "indoor festival" at the Ritz in manchester on 9th Sept. 15 quid, apparently there will be a load of acts on throughout the night.

Just 15 quid to see the Gizzards again will do me!

Gotta say they are incredible at their headlining gigs - saw em in Bristol earlier in the year and was a world away from that early Park slot this year. They've got a London date in September too which I'm quite tempted to go to - the Nonagon material was incredible even before the album dropped and can only get better now,

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Gotta say they are incredible at their headlining gigs - saw em in Bristol earlier in the year and was a world away from that early Park slot this year. They've got a London date in September too which I'm quite tempted to go to - the Nonagon material was incredible even before the album dropped and can only get better now,

Completely agree. I saw them in February. Only a 450 ish sized venue. 

With 4 albums out next year, Id love to see them back at the festival. I'd have them headlining the Pyramid, but that wont happen.

Mid afternoon other stage please and the unsuspecting can have their heads blown!

new Pixies album Head Carrier announced, along with new single, erm, Um Chagga Lagga

hard to say this early on but i'm willing to keep an open mind due to how much this band mean to me. know they're never gonna recapture the beauty of those first two/three releases, but i'm sure they can do better than Indie Cindy

I think it'll be different as they've actually gone away this time and written a whole album, rather than a bunch of EP's then repackaged as an album. Not that I think Indie Cindy was bad but it obviously wasn't as good as the early stuff, and as you say they probably never will be, but I think this will be a better go of things.

I like this song, but they debuted it over a year ago - think it was on last year's 'new music' thread - so it's nothing new. Tour dates should drop Monday or probably Tuesday (after London gig) so I'm hoping that's a bit larger than the last one.

I have no hesitation in calling Indy Cindy complete shite (except for Bagboy, which was actually pretty good). I watched the do the Other stage in 2014 and really liked it, but I want no more from the Pixies. Don't care about seeing them live again, don't want to listen to any new music from them, but I wish them all well in finding happiness in whatever form it presents itself.

what has everyone been enjoying so far this year? 

some stand outs for me

• Parquet courts - human performance
  • Bibio - a mineral love
  • clipping. - wriggle EP
  • Kaytranada - 99.9%
  • Kweku collins - nat love
  • Steve gunn - eyes on the lines
  • Whitney - light upon the lake 
  • Radiohead - a moon shaped pool 

19 minutes ago, AdamWillingham said:

what has everyone been enjoying so far this year? 

some stand outs for me

• Parquet courts - human performance
  • Bibio - a mineral love
  • clipping. - wriggle EP
  • Kaytranada - 99.9%
  • Kweku collins - nat love
  • Steve gunn - eyes on the lines
  • Whitney - light upon the lake 
  • Radiohead - a moon shaped pool 

I second Whitney, Steve Gunn and Radiohead. 

Albums I also really liked:

• Beyoncé - Lemonade
  • Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
  • Woods - City Sun Eater in the River of Light
  • Weezer - The White Album
  • Car Seat Headrest - Teens Of Denial
  • Sturgill Simpson - A Sailors Guide To Earth

not including some those already mentioned...

Mitski - Puberty 2
YG - Still Brazy
Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Hinds - Leave Me Alone
Skepta - Konnichiwa
Maxwell - blackSUMMERS'night
Mutual Benefit - Skip a Sinking Stone
ANOHNI - Hopelessness

i could go on and on - been a pretty good year so far!

Edited by FloorFiller