Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Crikey, that's a toughie!

Impressed that you faced it off with that attitude and that you seem to have put the worst of it behind you :o

I had been though it all before because I had a previous stroke/heart attack but cant say which year
that was as part of my memories were wiped out - amazingly the hospital could pin point the exact
time the stroke took place - I know you will think this strange ' but it was the heart attack ' that saved me  !!! - sure its a scary situation as your speech goes and half of your body ends up being paralysed - the first one I was in Hospital for eight days being tested for this that and the other - I am not knocking the NHS its just laying in bed just does not work for me -The first time there was no room in the stroke unit so I was placed in a acute ward - every day someone died - after 8 had died I did not like the odds so I was out of there.

Its the memory that at first make things tricky - if I was in a shop to buy a paper I would be fine but if the shopkeeper said something when handing me my change - I got very mixed up ' and would try to pay again !! ' 

so clearly I had to keep well away from money - you could just imagine me trying to work behind a bar - anyway the WBC was very understanding so I worked in production until I was fine again.

All I do is pace myself and I am glad that I am still able to do it.

One of my team drives me to Latitude and we arrive at the same time as the rest of them - I have
a Man Mountain on my Team so he is the one that moves all my gear as I cant carry much but once set up I am fine - The WBC gives me the option to pick where we want to work so to save on walking we work in the Crew Bar which is a great help being so close to our tents and we are able to switch shifts so I will make sure the rest of the Team end up being able to see as much as the festival as possible and I will do the early shifts so it works out really well.

Have always enjoyed Latitude although I very rarely see many acts anymore - we do leave the site 
to visit Southwold and eat their famous Fish and Chips.

it is so relaxing there so its a treat just to work there. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

I had been though it all before because I had a previous stroke/heart attack but cant say which year
that was as part of my memories were wiped out - amazingly the hospital could pin point the exact
time the stroke took place - I know you will think this strange ' but it was the heart attack ' that saved me  !!! - sure its a scary situation as your speech goes and half of your body ends up being paralysed - the first one I was in Hospital for eight days being tested for this that and the other - I am not knocking the NHS its just laying in bed just does not work for me -The first time there was no room in the stroke unit so I was placed in a acute ward - every day someone died - after 8 had died I did not like the odds so I was out of there.

Its the memory that at first make things tricky - if I was in a shop to buy a paper I would be fine but if the shopkeeper said something when handing me my change - I got very mixed up ' and would try to pay again !! ' 

so clearly I had to keep well away from money - you could just imagine me trying to work behind a bar - anyway the WBC was very understanding so I worked in production until I was fine again.

All I do is pace myself and I am glad that I am still able to do it.

One of my team drives me to Latitude and we arrive at the same time as the rest of them - I have
a Man Mountain on my Team so he is the one that moves all my gear as I cant carry much but once set up I am fine - The WBC gives me the option to pick where we want to work so to save on walking we work in the Crew Bar which is a great help being so close to our tents and we are able to switch shifts so I will make sure the rest of the Team end up being able to see as much as the festival as possible and I will do the early shifts so it works out really well.

Have always enjoyed Latitude although I very rarely see many acts anymore - we do leave the site 
to visit Southwold and eat their famous Fish and Chips.

it is so relaxing there so its a treat just to work there. 

I don't like medical complaints rearing their heads as we get older, but it made me realise that of course some folks have to deal with things much earlier and that I've had a pretty charmed life. 

I developed epilepsy in my forties, but managed successfully by meds although they hamper my memory a touch.  Not everyone's can be managed and also if you go for an MRI scan you suddenly become aware that others go for them and have outcomes which are harder to deal with. 

Those times in the shop sound very upsetting, fantastic that you managed to get yourself back on form.  Also lovely that the WBC were supportive, there are certain times in life where you realise how great folk can be :wub:

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

I don't like medical complaints rearing their heads as we get older, but it made me realise that of course some folks have to deal with things much earlier and that I've had a pretty charmed life. 

I developed epilepsy in my forties, but managed successfully by meds although they hamper my memory a touch.  Not everyone's can be managed and also if you go for an MRI scan you suddenly become aware that others go for them and have outcomes which are harder to deal with. 

Those times in the shop sound very upsetting, fantastic that you managed to get yourself back on form.  Also lovely that the WBC were supportive, there are certain times in life where you realise how great folk can be :wub:

sorry to read that - hope its under control - at that time the buses used to take cash and I would have them well baffled when I would try to pay twice for the bus ticket !!

it was fine if they did not say anything - after six months it got better -

I know what you mean about a Hospital waiting area - funny enough the stroke did me a favour !! 
each year I get a full medical check up { with blood tests etc etc } and it was one of those tests where it was spotted I had prostate cancer - had all the tests { that lasted 9 months } and then daily Radiotherapy - I met many in there who only went to see their GP after symptoms started so their cancer was far more advanced and some never made it to the end of treatment.

I see various Consultants so I make sure they don't clash with the festivals - I see one between
Glastonbury and Latitude - 

I think the WBC keeps me on because I am the longest serving Volunteer they have { who remained a Volunteer as I have always turned down promotion }  and no one is certain who is in second place because they did not keep records on computer then - I have a good idea it was someone who joined
6 years after me but even she is not 100% sure - I tried to join the WBC at their first every Glastonbury { 30 years ago next month }  but they would not let me join - at that time it was far smaller and most of them are no longer with the WBC - never thought I would still be doing it now.

I am happy that I am still able to do it. 

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

I am happy that I am still able to do it. 

See you're a perfect  example of someone who I now realise has been through the wars so much more than me.   You sound pretty stoic about it too :-)

We're all very lucky that you're still able to do the WBC and that you come here to share your valuable pearls of wisdom ;-)

glasto-worker, this is all my own guesswork so take it with a hefty pinch of salt, but on last year's to-scale map there was marked a small crew camp, behind the Obelisk.  It is near the A145 so it could be the one referred to.  It has a track access from Blue Gate 1 so a drop-off looks easy.  However I don't know who was camped there or where they parked their cars.

In regards to the main map, BBC Introducing is marked beside the Lavish Lounge.  I'm guessing this is a stage share otherwise the sound bleed would be intolerable.  Heck, last year Jesca Hoop started to duet with the noise from the Waterfront...

camp.jpg

13 minutes ago, tillyandthewall said:

glasto-worker, this is all my own guesswork so take it with a hefty pinch of salt, but on last year's to-scale map there was marked a small crew camp, behind the Obelisk.  It is near the A145 so it could be the one referred to.  It has a track access from Blue Gate 1 so a drop-off looks easy.  However I don't know who was camped there or where they parked their cars.

In regards to the main map, BBC Introducing is marked beside the Lavish Lounge.  I'm guessing this is a stage share otherwise the sound bleed would be intolerable.  Heck, last year Jesca Hoop started to duet with the noise from the Waterfront...

camp.jpg

Thanks for the shot - I know exactly where that is because one year my crew coach drove in by mistake and the driver tried to ditch us in that area - it was near a running battle because I knew we were in the wrong place and because I was the oldest  I had to deal with the driver and assured him that ' we were not getting off the coach at that spot '  - I did point out that I was close friends with the WBC Chairman and I would make certain his Coach Company lost the contract. { funny enough they did lose the contract that year but that was over another matter which I was not involved in } 

As I stood outside the coach with the driver I was curious who was using it - there was a tiny handful of tents and I got the impression they were ' stage erectors ' but I could be wrong. 

Just then a steward showed up and he was baffled how we were able to get though the gate in the first place - anyway the driver did agree to follow my directions although he did find it difficult to turn the coach around but once we were out we reached the right camp within a few minuets .

When I was told about the move ' I had thought about there ' but unless they have expanded it I don't think it would be large enough.

You will not be aware but all the stock is stored within the Crew Camp and that takes up a lot of space so wherever the camp is it has to be large enough for six ' 40 footer refrigerated trucks ' and a whole complex of ' portacabins ' { they are called something like bunk a beds and they are used by workers who re stock the bars late at night so they get to sleep in a separate bunk area so they don't disturb the staff who have a early start } and with all the toilets and showers - and then there is the JCB's etc etc - there would be no room for any crew tents - they will have sorted it out with Melvin as they know the exact size of the area required.

The ones who were at the meeting were told that staff entry would be very close to ' The Theater Arena ' so that would rule out that camp as its in a dense forest.

The WBC office is busy with sorting out Glastonbury just now but once I get onsite I will be talking to the Latitude Set up Crew as they will for sure have a accurate map showing the exact layout.

it will be interesting to see where we end up -

so do you still have the link to the overhead shot ?

27 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

You will not be aware but all the stock is stored within the Crew Camp and that takes up a lot of space so wherever the camp is it has to be large enough for six ' 40 footer refrigerated trucks ' and a whole complex of ' portacabins ' { they are called something like bunk a beds and they are used by workers who re stock the bars late at night so they get to sleep in a separate bunk area so they don't disturb the staff who have a early start } and with all the toilets and showers - and then there is the JCB's etc etc - there would be no room for any crew tents - they will have sorted it out with Melvin as they know the exact size of the area required.

The ones who were at the meeting were told that staff entry would be very close to ' The Theater Arena ' so that would rule out that camp as its in a dense forest.

The WBC office is busy with sorting out Glastonbury just now but once I get onsite I will be talking to the Latitude Set up Crew as they will for sure have a accurate map showing the exact layout.

it will be interesting to see where we end up -

so do you still have the link to the overhead shot ?

I worked in the Crew bar for WBC many moons ago at Leeds, had a view of all the trucks out the back, needless to say I didn't go near them as per H&S but they were still a wonderful sight.  All those tubes going everywhere, like a mad scientist's playground.

The Blue Gate 1 is the artists' check in, they go down the track then do a 180 at the edge of the forest, skirt round the back of the Obelisk, Comedy etc to get to performer camping, which is a long thin strip with a bar at the Theatre end, don't know if it's WBC or not.  Maybe they'll take a chunk out of that area?  Anyway we live in interesting times.  As long as there's some trees for shade I'm happy.  I can scan the to-scale map from 2015 and PM it to you tomorrow if you want?

34 minutes ago, tillyandthewall said:

I worked in the Crew bar for WBC many moons ago at Leeds, had a view of all the trucks out the back, needless to say I didn't go near them as per H&S but they were still a wonderful sight.  All those tubes going everywhere, like a mad scientist's playground.

The Blue Gate 1 is the artists' check in, they go down the track then do a 180 at the edge of the forest, skirt round the back of the Obelisk, Comedy etc to get to performer camping, which is a long thin strip with a bar at the Theatre end, don't know if it's WBC or not.  Maybe they'll take a chunk out of that area?  Anyway we live in interesting times.  As long as there's some trees for shade I'm happy.  I can scan the to-scale map from 2015 and PM it to you tomorrow if you want?

Have never worked Leeds but I did have eight on my Team who did work there as they live in Leeds  - I was always at Reading - can you recall who was the Crew bar Tent Manager as I am bound to know them - I know that Margaret Burnell { Maggie } was doing welfare at Leeds and she has been with the WBC for a good 20 years. I am sure you must know Wendy Renshaw and I know she has always done leeds she is a Tent Manager .

I did see the pictures of the crew bar when there was a flood at Leeds { not sure which year that was } - there was messages going back and forth and no one had the heart to tell them that Reading was mainly dry that year.If you were there then you would have been unaware
that the Reading Crew Bar is a actual Club House { with Sky TV ] makes a change from a bar in a tent - even had a microwave so I used to cook TV Dinners in it - that all came about as the WBC Chairman was in a Pub and he overheard two guys talking about having to sell their football ground and when he found out it was so close to Reading festival ' they bought it ' - we camp on the pitch - makes a good change from the normal bumpy ground we use elsewhere.

the two big guys standing beside me are teachers - at Latitude this year it will be the bald guy
and the female in front of him { who gets younger each year - she has been with the WBC for 18 years and another female who is not in either shot} and we will be in the crew bar { the Tent Manager is Sue Clarke who started in the early 90's so we are close friends } - we will grab a spare Team just to fill in.

No one has yet seen the plans but I will get them at Glastonbury.

send the PM as that would be great to see - thanks

DSCF0063.jpg

2011-wbc-140.jpg

15 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Have never worked Leeds but I did have eight on my Team who did work there as they live in Leeds  - I was always at Reading - can you recall who was the Crew bar Tent Manager as I am bound to know them - I know that Margaret Burnell { Maggie } was doing welfare at Leeds and she has been with the WBC for a good 20 years. I am sure you must know Wendy Renshaw and I know she has always done leeds she is a Tent Manager .

I'm 90% sure it was Maggie supervising.  Her (and my fellow team) were very good with me with learning the ropes (You know how everybody has had a bar job at one time, well I never pulled a pint in my life, those first few that are half-froth are a baptism of fire).  Credit as well for the briefing packs sent beforehand too.  Sadly I won't be doing this in the future as it was in aid of the youth section of my Union and I'm now too old for the youth section :(

Back on topic, the traffic plan is announced.  Basically for attendees it's via Beccles for families, via Lowestoft on the A12 for northerners and the usual A12 for the southerners.  Should make a dent in the A12 queues if everyone sticks to the plan.  A bit of a detour though for the shuttle buses as they'll now have to go to the A12.

There's also this year a shuttle bus to the villages north of the site, handy for locals or those staying in guest houses.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

"A spreading cancer" is right, it's obnoxiously big. These higher tier posh camping and exclusive bits of festivals are complete bullshit, the corporate sponsorship doesn't bother me too much, but it turning more and more into a posh holiday camp each year is getting a bit tiring.

I suppose it's giving people what they want.  They were sold out early last year, and rule one of retail is to provide the goods when people are wanting to throw money at you.  The general camping's good enough though at Lats, safe and quiet.  Though having said that, at Lunar my friends spent £240 for a 6 person tipi.  At £40 a person I'd be tempted a bit tbh.

5 hours ago, glastobuds said:

Out of curiosity- which ticket company did you go through? Am still waiting:(

I don't have the physical ticket, I bought it when I posted that. I bought through UEA, last year they got it sent out pretty soon after I bought, which was right after they went on sale. If you bought through See it's pretty standard for them to arrive shortly before. I think each year I used them my tickets arrived during Glastonbury.

20 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't have the physical ticket, I bought it when I posted that. I bought through UEA, last year they got it sent out pretty soon after I bought, which was right after they went on sale. If you bought through See it's pretty standard for them to arrive shortly before. I think each year I used them my tickets arrived during Glastonbury.

Last year bought through UEA and arrived in a week. This year something has been said, myself and a umber of others bought from UEA beginning of March and not receive, look at your email confirmation, states 'for this event the organiser will deliver your ticket'. So looks like Latitude via See (official ticket partner) will be sending the tickets and yes when I used to buy from See they always arrived around Glastonbury. 

Right then, I've bitten the bullet and bought myself a lovely pair of Latitude tickets. This will be my first time going so any hints, tips, recommendations about how to make the most of the festival are very welcome :)

In particular, do you have favourite camping spots? Food vendors? Areas?

I've noticed there are a lot more areas on the map than there are listed on the website. Are there any smaller areas I should definitely be checking out? 

Cheers in advance!

10 hours ago, Dr Glasto said:

Right then, I've bitten the bullet and bought myself a lovely pair of Latitude tickets. This will be my first time going so any hints, tips, recommendations about how to make the most of the festival are very welcome :)

In particular, do you have favourite camping spots? Food vendors? Areas?

I've noticed there are a lot more areas on the map than there are listed on the website. Are there any smaller areas I should definitely be checking out? 

Cheers in advance!

here is a overhead from 2011 { sure its changed a bit but the basic layout is the same }

as you can see compared to Glastonbury ' its compact ' which adds to its appeal.

the main arena is divided by the lake although there is a few interesting areas within the Woods  area -

as everything is close together it will not take you all that long to walk though each part and  decide what is of interest to you.

the first year or two the in the woods area was not all that busy but in recent years the numbers have picked up and is now a very popular spot - watch out as they impose a one way system when its busy -

cant comment about camping as I have only ever camped in crew camping - and the same goes for food  as we have a catering unit but we were tempted to check out Southwold and its really good Fish and Chip Shops { don't laugh as some people will drive miles to eat there } - now that is well worth a visit if you have a car - its only a 5 mile drive and there is lots of car parks.

I had a look back in 2006 and it was just a small sleepy town but last year it was very busy - a real surprise how its changed in ten years or so.

As soon as we get set up in the crew area on the Wednesday we will be heading back to that Fish and Chip Shop  as there is nothing like it in London.

lat-2011_o.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

that 2011 pic is good. ESPECIALLY when looked at in relation to the official map.

http://www.latitudefestival.com/map

In the pic, you can see how compact it is. With the map, you can also see just how much is now in the woods.

As for the best place to camp.....it depends on how much sleep you require or if yr a light sleeper. We have camped in yellow before (which is now a little noisy. Kids smoking their first ever 'doobie' which ends up being tea leaves etc), and now we are a lil older and like sleep, we camp in the furthest part of Green. NOW....me and the missus LOVE It there because we use our tent as a bedroom and only go back to tent to sleep. And, at the back of Green B, when returning to our tent at 2 am ish....well....it is SO quiet, all you can really hear is the rustling of grass as you walk on it. It is BRILLIANT!

However.....we like sleep. A good compromise is camping in Red. Kinda half sleepy time & half 'mild partying'. But....you know.....even in yellow....its NEVER as raucous as, say Reading/Leeds.

As for places to check out. I would say.....do not just narrow yourself to the music. There is SO much other stuff to see, wether its just an american deep south poet with a boombox in the woods, or FANTASTIC comedy (not just in the comedy tent, which is good, but a little mainstream sometimes. The cabaret tent during the day is Qualo), or book talks, or science talks, or comedy shed (A shed where a stand up plays to an audience of 3) or.....you get the picture. There is a metric fuckton of stuff to do.

Oh, and DO goto Southwold. Not just for the (FANTASTIC) fish & chips, but also the pier for the Under The Pier Show arcade. Calling it an arcade is a little....misleading. But it IS brilliant. Satirical machines like Whack-A-Banker, Rent a dog and more.

http://www.underthepier.com/

Cheers both! I'm very excited about my first Latitude now!

Really keen to get involved in all the smaller stage stuff. That comedy shed sounds awesome lol!

Nice one on the camping tips too. It's good to know that there are definite vibes to each field and which one to go for. Think we'll probably be heading for the quieter spots too - sounds really chilled and lovely :)