2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, YoramG said:

Caught You Me At Six at Rock City last night and for what it's worth they'd probably do very well in a sub slot. Lots of energy, lots of recognisable songs, Josh's vocals actually sound great and the new album sounds like it'll at least be better than Cavalier Youth. However, like a lot of people on here have said unless Night People actually explodes I can't see them headlining. Side note, anyone have any idea why they never play anything from Take Off Your Colours?

VANT were great also, would be a good addition to any festival, should be bigger than they are.

I think the band have come out in the past and said their sound has evolved (for the better they think) since TOYC so don't really look back fondly at the album. Shame really as the only You Me At Six songs I have any fondness towards is on that album. 

37 minutes ago, YoramG said:

Caught You Me At Six at Rock City last night and for what it's worth they'd probably do very well in a sub slot. Lots of energy, lots of recognisable songs, Josh's vocals actually sound great and the new album sounds like it'll at least be better than Cavalier Youth. However, like a lot of people on here have said unless Night People actually explodes I can't see them headlining. Side note, anyone have any idea why they never play anything from Take Off Your Colours?

VANT were great also, would be a good addition to any festival, should be bigger than they are.

They've pretty much said that they aren't fond of that album. Slam Dunk last year seemed like the send off for it when they played the majority of it. Which sucks, because I also have a lot of love for that album and find it to be the only YMAS album I can put on and just press play and leave it to run through.

Also, Kasabian being TBC isn't much of a shock, but its good news in the sense that we have a headliner as TBC so early. Neil, can you specify what you've heard that has made you put them down as TBC?

Also, does this mean the return of people posting THAT Kasabian photo :P ?

Yeah this is damn early for a TBC headliner for a major summer fest and now we've got a Glasto one and a Reading one. Hats off eFestivals.

I know y'all are saying it's not a shock but it's Kasabian so they could have just done any major festival here and we wouldn't have been shocked. Might see more of mrtourette now too. :P

Also I can't remember what the Kasabian photo is.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

I think the band have come out in the past and said their sound has evolved (for the better they think) since TOYC so don't really look back fondly at the album. Shame really as the only You Me At Six songs I have any fondness towards is on that album. 

Their sound might've progressed but how many songs have they made that are better than the hits on that album? Not many. 

Thing is I'd argue there's been little progression across their albums anyway, so it just seems all a bit unnecessary to me.

Fair enough if Radiohead don't wanna touch Pablo Honey or RHCP don't wanna touch any pre-90s material, but I don't see why YMAS would play some of their dire singles like Lived A Lie over If I Were In Your Shoes.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

well Kasabian were always an obvious favourite to be there but impressive to have a TBC this early on. probably more interested in the R/L headliners next year than any other festival as it really does seem like slim pickings for 'good' headliners

Do Kasabian have a new album due? Haven't been completely convinced by their recent material but if new stuff is on the way it would get me interested about this TBC. I do agree that it's interesting to have a TBC a good 10.5 months away!

2 minutes ago, willutalk said:

Do Kasabian have a new album due? Haven't been completely convinced by their recent material but if new stuff is on the way it would get me interested about this TBC. I do agree that it's interesting to have a TBC a good 10.5 months away!

last album was in 2014 (and they released a new song recently for Fifa 2017 so they're obviously in the studio) so you'd assume a new album is due next year. a fairly uninspiring headliner for sure but one that the current R/L will eat up. next year is still in need of a BIG headliner imo, although i struggle to think of who that could be as they seem to have used up most of the bigg'uns in recent years

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

last album was in 2014 (and they released a new song recently for Fifa 2017 so they're obviously in the studio) so you'd assume a new album is due next year. a fairly uninspiring headliner for sure but one that the current R/L will eat up. next year is still in need of a BIG headliner imo, although i struggle to think of who that could be as they seem to have used up most of the bigg'uns in recent years

I do agree that Kasabian would be an uninspired choice but very safe and a strong ticket seller.

To your latter point:

I find it slightly funny that a festival as varied as Reading has kind of stumbled upon the predicament. They do seem to have gone down the archetypal route of booking the 'classic' obvious in the respective genres that tend to make up the festival. I don't blame em but it kind of has shot them in the foot.

All within the last 4 years

Metallica --> most successful touring heavy metal recently

Green day, Blink-182 --> 2 mighties of Pop Punk

RHCP --> American revival indie

Arctic Monkeys --> UK early noughties indie

Mumford and Sons --> dare I say acoustic pop

For me, there are more, other big classic bands in these genres, but with a demographic that is particularly young any of these other acts might fail to have the appeal factor that the very limited number of acts above can appeal to the young.

Are there really any others that have the big name status and are as accessible to the young? 

5 minutes ago, willutalk said:

I do agree that Kasabian would be an uninspired choice but very safe and a strong ticket seller.

To your latter point:

I find it slightly funny that a festival as varied as Reading has kind of stumbled upon the predicament. They do seem to have gone down the archetypal route of booking the 'classic' obvious in the respective genres that tend to make up the festival. I don't blame em but it kind of has shot them in the foot.

All within the last 4 years

Metallica --> most successful touring heavy metal recently

Green day, Blink-182 --> 2 mighties of Pop Punk

RHCP --> American revival indie

Arctic Monkeys --> UK early noughties indie

Mumford and Sons --> dare I say acoustic pop

For me, there are more, other big classic bands in these genres, but with a demographic that is particularly young any of these other acts might fail to have the appeal factor that the very limited number of acts above can appeal to the young.

Are there really any others that have the big name status and are as accessible to the young? 

in my eyes the current (as in still active) BIG acts are Foo Fighters (not touring next year), Muse (likewise), Arctic Monkeys (likewise), RHCP (played this year), Metallica (played in 2015), Green Day (playing BST so unlikely) and Guns N Roses (the only possibility for next year) and then the likes of Radiohead etc who probably won't play R/L again, so if GnR aren't an option (many seem to think they're doing their own shows over festivals) then i struggle to think where the big name is coming from for next year. Kasabian, Royal Blood/Al-J, Bring Me The Horizon etc (names being thrown about at the moment)... all seem like small fry headliners in comparison to what's come before imo. if Kasabian turn out to be the 'biggie' then i guess they better hope they've got a strong as hell undercard

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

in my eyes the current (as in still active) BIG acts are Foo Fighters (not touring next year), Muse (likewise), Arctic Monkeys (likewise), RHCP (played this year), Metallica (played in 2015), Green Day (playing BST so unlikely) and Guns N Roses (the only possibility for next year) and then the likes of Radiohead etc who probably won't play R/L again, so if GnR aren't an option (many seem to think they're doing their own shows over festivals) then i struggle to think where the big name is coming from for next year. Kasabian, Royal Blood/Al-J, Bring Me The Horizon etc (names being thrown about at the moment)... all seem like small fry headliners in comparison to what's come before imo. if Kasabian turn out to be the 'biggie' then i guess they better hope they've got a strong as hell undercard

Linkin Park? Arcade Fire? It's hard to summon more to the grey cells to the brain, unless you do go through the dry route. And these are all repeat acts though. Unless they go down the total pop Kanye route. I think the double co-headliner this really highlighted this problem.  Reckon they should promote a band like SOAD/Prodigy to headline status. Big crowd pleaser with decent heritage/experience.

Kasabian are a big band. Outside of the UK they've never really cracked it but they're one of the biggest British bands domestically. They've got quite a legacy now as well, most people on here have probably either grown up with them in the charts or remember them coming out, so most probably haven't considered the fact that they've been going for a long time now.

They're not for everyone, so there's going to be some negativity around the booking but it's not really fair considering Arcade Fire are no bigger and they wouldn't get the same negative reaction on here.

Edited by thelemon

53 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Kasabian are a big band. Outside of the UK they've never really cracked it but they're one of the biggest British bands domestically. They've got quite a legacy now as well, most people on here have probably either grown up with them in the charts or remember them coming out, so most probably haven't considered the fact that they've been going for a long time now.

They're not for everyone, so there's going to be some negativity around the booking but it's not really fair considering Arcade Fire are no bigger and they wouldn't get the same negative reaction on here.

Yeah I can see why they might be dismissed as they've never really gone away and have just relentlessly done UK festivals for their whole career - and I'd disagree with them having a legacy because for a current headliner they're horrendously bereft of one - but they've worked themselves into being a huge band now, right up there with most of the bands just described as 'big' headliners in this country so they've no need to worry about putting them alongside two smaller headliners as it's tough not to.

Edited by dentalplan

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd be a bit surprised right now if BMTH wasn't one. As said, the co-headliners this year highlighted the issue, which started with the lower day ticket prices before hand as it was clear the pool for opinions was getting smaller.

I'd be as sure as I can that if won't be GNR, they can charge £90 easily for a ticket to multiple stadium dates etc, why play somewhere that people are going to pay £66 for with another 8 bands on that day. UK Festivals might happen but only after they have done their big cash in. I think the fact they were going to choose BST (going with lucky here) instead this year says it all.