2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, KingPin said:

Well if YM@6, having sold out a fairly long arena tour, aren't anywhere near headline size, then there really aren't many bands like that, nor are there very many at all getting close to it.

Selling out arenas isn't that much of a deal, they're big in their circles maybe, but They don't have a crossover appeal like Foals do, and Foals have been popular for longer as well. Disclosure are no doubt bigger than YM@6, they've had legitimate chart success. Not every band has to be as huge as Metallica or RHCP granted, but the bands that aren't quite on that level (Pulp, Libertines) have that legendary status that YM@6 don't. You have to be huge or you have to have been huge for some significant period or you're not big enough imo. They're a sub, fine, but I can't see them any higher. 

27 minutes ago, Matt

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, thelemon said:

Selling out arenas isn't that much of a deal, they're big in their circles maybe, but They don't have a crossover appeal like Foals do, and Foals have been popular for longer as well. Disclosure are no doubt bigger than YM@6, they've had legitimate chart success. Not every band has to be as huge as Metallica or RHCP granted, but the bands that aren't quite on that level (Pulp, Libertines) have that legendary status that YM@6 don't. You have to be huge or you have to have been huge for some significant period or you're not big enough imo. They're a sub, fine, but I can't see them any higher. 

'Selling out arenas isn't that much of a deal' :rofl: That's a ridiculous statement, pretty sure that YM@6 hit arena's before Foals (though I could be wrong) but to say they've been popular for longer is false. 

So do you think Bring Me are still only a sub level band?

The coheadline act on that legendary arena marathon went on to play 4th down under two bands with mainstream appeal and one arena show between them.

Compare with the most recent pop punk act to make headline - Paramore - who did three arena tours, two sub slots before they got there. You Me at Six have one coheadline arena tour, were once tapped to sub but moved down for Macklemore and have an Academy tour that isn't sold out.

Theres really been no significant progression on them for years but people have been banging the 'future headliner' drum for about five years - it's never gonna happen.

Edited by dentalplan

Yeah I get that we want more bands to get the step up but you're looking in the wrong place with YMAS, who are clearly losing relevance fast and have limited commercial appeal - and also happen to be total w*nk. ;)

Royal Blood are considerably more likely to get it, and even that's hanging on their ability to put out a follow-up that captures people the same way the debut did.

1 hour ago, KingPin said:

'Selling out arenas isn't that much of a deal' :rofl: That's a ridiculous statement, pretty sure that YM@6 hit arena's before Foals (though I could be wrong) but to say they've been popular for longer is false. 

So do you think Bring Me are still only a sub level band?

Laugh but you're not going to tell me that YM@6 are in the mainstream. Selling out arenas is fine, but it doesn't say as much as you think it does. It's a fairly big scene so they'll draw a decent crowd to their own gigs but I think R+L should aim higher that that. I'd say BMTH have more going for them, yes.

Paramo really should have headlined in 2012 at the end of the day, they were massive and everything was there to back it but they probably played lower given their love for the festival as Hayley loves The Cure.

Let's not do all this bollocks about what tour they did 3 times before a co-headline tour so another won't etc etc. They don't have to book quite as strong top of the bill now because they don't ask you to pay as much for that day. 

YM@6 not selling an academy tour yet means nothing, Jamie T didn't sell all his Brixton dates out as quick but sold Ally Pally out instantly almost over 2 nights.

If the band have toured their material and people have seen them then it won't sell as quick and they are just smaller in between album venues.

54 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Yeah I get that we want more bands to get the step up but you're looking in the wrong place with YMAS, who are clearly losing relevance fast and have limited commercial appeal - and also happen to be total w*nk. ;)

Royal Blood are considerably more likely to get it, and even that's hanging on their ability to put out a follow-up that captures people the same way the debut did.

I can't see many ready to make that step up right now . Foals were an obvious one since their music has been getting more and more headline-like and they've kind of progressed through the stages. I can see bands like CHVRCHES, Catfish, Wolf Alice etc being there in a few years but not quite yet.

2 hours ago, thelemon said:

I can't see many ready to make that step up right now . Foals were an obvious one since their music has been getting more and more headline-like and they've kind of progressed through the stages. I can see bands like CHVRCHES, Catfish, Wolf Alice etc being there in a few years but not quite yet.

1975 are gonna do it on their next album. Said as much themselves. Catfish unlikely because the nature of their act is quite limited so the fad won't last.

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

1975 are gonna do it on their next album. Said as much themselves. Catfish unlikely because the nature of their act is quite limited so the fad won't last.

yeah i agree, The 1975 are the most obvious candidate for one of the next step up headliners. not a fan but they're just on the up and up. also can't see Catfish ever doing it, although wouldn't be surprised to see them sub next year/sometime in the near future. think they'll stall there though

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Agree on 1975, although I don't like them. Catfish showed a bit of an evolution in their second record, though. They'll do an AM or Strokes and go in a completely new direction on number three. Whether thay elevates them or not is another matter.

1 minute ago, thelemon said:

Agree on 1975, although I don't like them. Catfish showed a bit of an evolution in their second record, though. They'll do an AM or Strokes and go in a completely new direction on number three. Whether thay elevates them or not is another matter.

There was an evolution? Sounded like the same shite to me. Either way Van has made a point of being proud about being samey and boring in interviews so I wouldn't expect much. Hard to 'do an AM or Strokes' when your band lacks anything like the sort of creative spark that made those bands exciting in the first place.

5 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Paramo really should have headlined in 2012 at the end of the day, they were massive and everything was there to back it but they probably played lower given their love for the festival as Hayley loves The Cure.

Above The Cure? Good joke.

7 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Paramore shouldn't have headlines in 2012. They're certainly big enough to headline now, but if you compare them to the other headliners (Kasabian, the Cure and Foos) there's no way that you can say that they are as big as any of them, so subbing that year was the highest they could have asked for.  

2 hours ago, Mash011 said:

There was an evolution? Sounded like the same shite to me. Either way Van has made a point of being proud about being samey and boring in interviews so I wouldn't expect much. Hard to 'do an AM or Strokes' when your band lacks anything like the sort of creative spark that made those bands exciting in the first place.

There was a slight progression - it's got a more polished and refined sound to it I think. It was a subtle change I'll admit but so was Favourite Worst Nightmare and Room On Fire. In fact, I'd say the difference between the two is bigger than the first two Strokes records. I think they'll change it up, but that may not actually help them grow as I've said.

Friday:

• YM@6/Alt-J (UK exclusive) or maybe Royal Blood
  • Enter Shikari
  • Twin Atlantic

NME Stage: Stormzy (let's face it, he'd go down very well with current demographics)

Saturday:

• Kasabian
  • ADTR
  • The Pretty Reckless

NME Stage: Jamie xx or Metronomy, Glass Animals subbing or third from top depending on the public reception to their new album reception

Sunday:

• Drake (I know I'll get hate for this but tbh he's huge, absolutely worshipped by such a large percentage of young people atm, arguably the biggest star in the world right now). A more conventional headliner could be FATM (can see a female headliner being pushed) or Paramore.
  • The Weeknd or Tame Impala
  • Peace

NME Stage: Could be someone like Jamie T, or even (at a stretch) the Chainsmokers, they're everywhere on the radio atm 

Other acts I expect to sea are DJ Hazard on the dance stage, Fuse ODG, Jimmy Eat World etc propping up the lower stages.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Oh I thought the opposite. I listened to it when jsmurphy pointed out they have a new song and I've already forgotten it, but I was thinking that it sounds like they're gonna try do another Only By the Night. It's probably what their career needs.

What they need is another Red Morning Light, but those days are long gone.

55 minutes ago, BeddingatReading said:

Paramore shouldn't have headlines in 2012. They're certainly big enough to headline now, but if you compare them to the other headliners (Kasabian, the Cure and Foos) there's no way that you can say that they are as big as any of them, so subbing that year was the highest they could have asked for.  

Given the crowd for Paramore compared to The Cure, I'm not so sure the argument of who should have based on who fit better is correct on your behalf here. I've not tried to say Paramore are as big or bigger than any of them, but for relevance to the festival even though I liked The Cure, it would have been fully justified.

53 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Paramore couldn't have headlined in 2012 - sub was definitely right for them. people were questioning their status as a co-headliner in 2014. it would've been a big push if they'd have done it outright in 2012, especially considering they were (at Leeds, at least) dreadful that year

2012 was way better than their 2010 set at Leeds, which was ruined by sound problems. 2014 remains the best headline set I've seen at Leeds, other than Biffy.

9 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

2012 was way better than their 2010 set at Leeds, which was ruined by sound problems. 2014 remains the best headline set I've seen at Leeds, other than Biffy.

oh shit i forgot they subbed twice - yeah i was thinking of their 2010 set, that was awful. i didn't go in 2012. heard nothing but good things about their 2014 set though, and they'll hopefully return to headline outright soon (although perhaps not on this next album tour)