Foals

The 38 year old virgin

Nice ine, that's just reminded me that i picked their album up on vinyl the other week. Listening to it now. Forgotten how horrifically accurate their parodies are. Inner City Pressure could be the Pet ashop Boys. Scarily good. But yeah, Business Time is my favourite i think.

The quotes under Inner City Pressure on Youtube are great.

Hold on... (These are direct quotes)

Some plum: "Could this be a homage to The Pet Shop Boys' West End Girls?

Some even bigger (pretentious) plum replies: "Some Kraftwerk in there too.  Quite a few influences." NO - IT'S THE F@CKING PET SHOP BOYS YOU IDIOT! THEY EVEN DRESS AND STAND LIKE THEM!!!

And then: "anyone think of the pet shop boys west end girls a wee bit or is just me ??"

"Sounds like west end girls"

Etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqfcwgT0Ds

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your fave Conchords song? Top 3 for me:

1) If You're Into It

2) Carol Brown

3) Most Beautiful Girl (prob)

Business time, Carol Brown, Think about it, Bowie, Robots, Boom, ... There's too many I don't know. I know its not really a song but Albi (the racist dragon) is a highlight also

Excuse me for being stupid but where would I find this?

I got it on my television, it's in bbc iplayer so you should get it on their, if not go on Foals Twitter, they tweeted a link

They cut Red Socks Pugie from the footage though which was a terrible mistake

So there's an interview with Foals in this month's Q which says they were asked to sub Florence but turned it down...

Didn't someone come from the shadows on here and claim they or an alias had met Yannis Phillipakis on the underground and he'd said they had been asked but they wouldn't be doing it, I'm sure it was rubbished at the time

It wouldn't at all surprise me if it's true

aye people seemed to think it was made up bollocks and that Yannis/Foals were in fact in another part of the world when that supposed train meeting occurred, but it seems not! if this is true then you'd assume they're not lined up to headline next year - wouldn't make much sense to waste a future headliner as a last-minute fill in spot (not that anybody realistically thought they'd be headlining anyway)

Edited by FloorFiller

aye people seemed to think it was made up bollocks and that Yannis/Foals were in fact in another part of the world when that supposed train meeting occurred, but it seems not! if this is true then you'd assume they're not lined up to headline next year - wouldn't make much sense to waste a future headliner as a last-minute fill in spot (not that anybody realistically thought they'd be headlining anyway)

Yup - I really think they are in the frame for Reading next year.

Yup - I really think they are in the frame for Reading next year.

aye, although i don't think the new album will quite push them to all-round headliner status, it'll be enough to justify giving them that slot and make them headliners. be very surprised if they're not headlining Reading next year. still finding it weird that the album will've been out a full year before that happens though - seems like pretty bad timing for an album release poised to knock the band up to headline status

New album gets a great review in Mojo (although a 4 not a 5). Opening/title track is 'Stooges-cum-Nirvana', apparently.

That was the first single.

Can actually sort of hear the I Wanna Be Your Dog bassline now you say that.

aye, although i don't think the new album will quite push them to all-round headliner status, it'll be enough to justify giving them that slot and make them headliners. be very surprised if they're not headlining Reading next year. still finding it weird that the album will've been out a full year before that happens though - seems like pretty bad timing for an album release poised to knock the band up to headline status

You're not one of these peeps that think they'd headline R+L but only sub Glastonbury are you?

Floorfiller pls.

pls

Edited by dentalplan

hmm, the album could well be big, and within the year they may gain a significant amount of fans to warrant the slot.

It's interesting, because often bands are booked on the whim that their new material will garner enough attention to warrant a bump up to headline. However this is different, I highly doubt they would have been booked by September. FR could see the success of the album between September - December and see if there's enough to justify the booking.

What the fuck are you doing

Maybe whim was the wrong word

but don't be difficult - if a band is booked for a festival before their new material is released it's them being booked in hope that the material will be big enough to justify the booking.

You're not one of these peeps that think they'd headline R+L but only sub Glastonbury are you?

Floorfiller pls.

pls

Where on earth did you get that from my post?! Of course not - when does that ever happen apart from The Libertines this year?! Just think that they're an act who could easily take either a sub or headline status at major fests right now - hopefully it'll be the latter so that they can finally be bumped up to festival headliner status (unlike Flo who's booking as a sub was just puzzling)

hmm, the album could well be big, and within the year they may gain a significant amount of fans to warrant the slot.

It's interesting, because often bands are booked on the whim that their new material will garner enough attention to warrant a bump up to headline. However this is different, I highly doubt they would have been booked by September. FR could see the success of the album between September - December and see if there's enough to justify the booking.

What? What sort of 'success' are they meant to have in the first three months of the album's release?

They'll be booked by September. They were probably booked before last September. You know enough about these festivals to know that Reading aren't gonna keep tabs on how a band is coming along until December - they start announcing them in November!