The Who road crew review

elias

In 2013 I heard all 3 of the headline band's crew sound checking as we were camped right on the bottom of big ground, so quite close to the stage. Could hear them every morning from my tent!

I assume by "No Soundcheck" they mean the band themselves don't personally get a chance to hear how their monitoring setup will sound onstage.

Most of the more seasoned festival bands just use IEMs these days. It's a lot easier than worrying about different stage setups effecting placements of monitors ect. Gives more consistency to the performers. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, In Ear Monitors.

You get a lot more reliable/consistent mix with them than having to contend with stages of different sizes/shapes ect.

And usually whilst on stage, the band are not hearing what the audience hear. so they use the IEM to hear everything at a controlled level, also if the song is played to a click track, that can be played through the IEM

I was pissed off with Townshend complaining about the sound. It was great where I was standing, amazing at times. Obviously it's different on stage, but it's a golden rule (I thought), not to highlight mistakes (musical or otherwise) as most punters won't have noticed.

Also, I agree with this. It's best to not draw attention to it and carry on.

Seems like the general feeling from The Who's camp is that the sound wasn't great, at least on stage.

Sounded fine from where I was.

Pete suffers badly from tinnitus remember so any mess up in sound is magnified for him. And painful.

Which makes it all the more surprising to me the they don't use IEM.

Most headliners will bring there own FOH and foldback desks and these will be digital consoles these days so monitoring mixes are less of an issue than they once where, however if your mixing monitors based on working in stadiums your going to have problems with conventional monitors on a stage like the pyramid.

Perfection, in sound or otherwise, is massively overrated. It's the cultural shift from recordings being a representation of the live sound, to live performances attmpting to reproduce the canonical recorded versions. It's noticeable for me that the acts I enjoyed most this weekend were the ones that cut loose, that didn't attempt to faithfully reproduce the pristine album versions. Basically, artists who fucked up a little bit. That's the thrill, it should be juggling plates. Live music needs jeopardy.

(Been mulling this over since the Libtertines set, and my thoughts have coalesced after seeing 'Fare Thee Well' last night and a subsequent conversation with Wooderson)

I don't think The Who can be accused of attempting to recreate their recorded versions. If you can't hear what the drummer (or whoever) is playing, you simply can't play properly 

yeah, sorry, wasn't specifically referring to the Who (or indeed referring to the Who at all, more the whole sound thing), probably not the best place to post that.