There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

They do this at Shambala. Still got my cup from 2 years ago. Great souvenir, excellent idea. Have you seen the front of the Pyramid stage in the early hours of the morning??? It's like a landfill site full of flattened cups. Then the good fairies (litter pickers) come so it's sparkling clean again......for a few hours.

Try walking through it when you are disabled it's bloody hard work.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do real ale festivals get past the health issue of reusing glasses? Went to one a few weeks ago and brought the "official" glass for the event and used it a number of pubs during the evening - never washed once?

My local still has tankards a few of the old guys have their pint in too

Am I making it up that the bothers bar used to do like a big bottle that you could get refilled?

Yes they did.  Was about 10 years ago though.  I think they had to stop due to the amount of plastic bottles littering the site.

The Jazz/World field really was a sea of blue plastic bottles and a lot of VERY merry cider drinkers. Pretty sure I remember being told that they'd been told they couldn't sell it in those quantities any more.

How do real ale festivals get past the health issue of reusing glasses? Went to one a few weeks ago and brought the "official" glass for the event and used it a number of pubs during the evening - never washed once?

My local still has tankards a few of the old guys have their pint in too

likewise. been to dozens of beer festivals .Buy glass, use glass for whole beer festival.never heard any grumbling .Not sure if its been mentioned though,I wouldn't want to be on the business end of someone lobbing a half filled hard plastic glass into a crowd.  Quid a pop or not , a fanny is a fanny.

The Jazz/World field really was a sea of blue plastic bottles and a lot of VERY merry cider drinkers. Pretty sure I remember being told that they'd been told they couldn't sell it in those quantities any more.

No idea as to the truth of it, but the story at the time was the bigger bars (or maybe even sponsor that year) were getting narked that people were buying big bottles from there and carrying them around all day, thus dropping off trade for other bars. So they dobbed them into the council for promoting unsafe drinking, and were forced to stop selling them.

Might be entirely bollocks but that was the story doing the rounds on here and such at the time.

It *was* unsafe drinking. The whole field was w*nkered!

Can confirm - I was in that field in 07 (before the rain really started) and we were all in a very merry state. We made a little camp fire and had loads of new friends in no time.

The bottles on the floor took a few people out top.

I'm pretty sure that the MDC Licensing Officers stopped that mid festival because the Jazzworld field was littered with completely hammered casualties. People were buying the big bottles and not realizing quite how fast they were guzzling them.

I'm pretty sure that the MDC Licensing Officers stopped that mid festival because the Jazzworld field was littered with completely hammered casualties. People were buying the big bottles and not realizing quite how fast they were guzzling them.

It was fun to do though

I can't imagine this for being any draught products. Cross contamination between a used cup and a beer tap on a mass scale would have environmental health kicking off. Unless they are washing them like a normal glass.

How do beer festivals exist then....

your correct - I was with the DPS { the person who is responsible of every bar be they WBC or not } and at first ' all Cider { even draft } was banned by request from MDC until he could track down the person in charge of the Brothers bar - large plastic bottles of cider was banned - if they had refused then that Bar would have been closed for good.It was more to so with people under age drinking them.

When will we know if this is in crew bars or public bars? Must be someone in the know....

will not know until Tuesday .

ok - I have some more information on this situation 

note - as there is only crew bars open just now ' its not clear if the public bars will use the same system '

but this makes far more sense ' you pay a £1 for a cup and either keep the cup or get a token (if you don't want to carry cups about) - when you go to buy a new pint you hand your old cup over and the bar is supposed to hand you a brand new one ' - and I do repeat ' none of the old cups will be washed on site ' so its the system the WBC has been using at Latitude for the past ten years .

if every bar { crew and public } is using the same system then the token should be accepted in every bar except I have my doubts about this due to the large amounts of space required so I cant see every bar doing it - anyway we will soon find out.

will not know until Tuesday .

ok - I have some more information on this situation 

note - as there is only crew bars open just now ' its not clear if the public bars will use the same system '

but this makes far more sense ' you pay a £1 for a cup and either keep the cup or get a token (if you don't want to carry cups about) - when you go to buy a new pint you hand your old cup over and the bar is supposed to hand you a brand new one ' - and I do repeat ' none of the old cups will be washed on site ' so its the system the WBC has been using at Latitude for the past ten years .

if every bar { crew and public } is using the same system then the token should be accepted in every bar except I have my doubts about this due to the large amounts of space required so I cant see every bar doing it - anyway we will soon find out.

This sounds good, hopefully it is in place for public as well as crew.

It's crew bars only.

You pay £1 to start. New cup each time (although some times, like an ordinary pub, staff might offer to refill the same one).

When you leave you can swap the cup for a token, and then use the token for a new cup next time or at the next bar*

(Except Maceo's isn't offering or honouring the tokens, much to the consternation of another crew bar manager I mentioned this to).

Not sure if this is a trial run for rolling out more widely.

The cups are nice - really solid. Festival branded.

It's crew bars only.

You pay £1 to start. New cup each time (although some times, like an ordinary pub, staff might offer to refill the same one).

When you leave you can swap the cup for a token, and then use the token for a new cup next time or at the next bar*

(Except Maceo's isn't offering or honouring the tokens, much to the consternation of another crew bar manager I mentioned this to).

cheers - its a bit daft as they could have asked the wbc as we have been using that system but we found it did need a lot of space as its doubling up the space for the used one - and I have my doubts under current the layout that it would be workable in every wbc bar - it will be interesting to see where they are being shipped back to - there was talk about them starting a plant in the UK but not sure if that is up and running - I know most ended up back in Germany !!!

It's crew bars only.

cheers - its a bit daft as they could have asked the wbc as we have been using that system but we found it did need a lot of space as its doubling up the space for the used one - and I have my doubts under current the layout that it would be workable in every wbc bar - it will be interesting to see where they are being shipped back to - there was talk about them starting a plant in the UK but not sure if that is up and running - I know most ended up back in Germany !!!

Ah crew only sucks :(

Sounds like a good system, hoping it spreads over the years!

I'd imagine something like Glastonbury it would eventually need some sort of infrastructure on site to wash the cups? I can't work why they need to back to a plant? Pubs just bung them in a local dish washer don't they?

• 1 month later...