Sub to be added?

Matt42

It does, but I don't doubt that they're working as hard as they can at the festival to bring us a sub act to keep people satisfied. With all the prep before the festival starts going on, this must be a massive pain in the arse.

I can't see how it would be THAT difficult to be honest. They could have just gone to Stereophonics for example, who would jump at the opportunity to sub at this stage in their career. Negotiations surely couldn't have been that extensive, and they've now had the best part of two weeks to sort it.

It wouldn't have been an earth shattering booking by any means, but they would draw a reasonable enough crowd and would please a fair few.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FFS!

FOO FIGHTERS WERE PLAYING ROCK WERCHTER ON A THURSDAY WHICH MEANS THAT THE NUMBER OF ACTS AVAILABLE TO THE FESTIVAL WAS HIGHER THAN GLASTONBURY AS A LOT MORE HEADLINE/SUB HEADLINE SIZE ACTS ARE BUSY ON THE FRIDAY THAN THE THURSDAY. WERCHTER HAVE DONE VERY WELL TO REPLACE FOO FIGHTERS WITH THOSE 2 ACTS, BUT WHY THAT MEANS GLASTONBURY SHOULD BE FOLLOWING SUIT I DON'T KNOW. FAITH NO MORE AND ROYAL BLOOD ARE BOTH BUSY ON THE FRIDAY BEFORE ANYONE PIPES UP ABOUT WHY WE DIDN'T GET THEM. YOU ALSO DON'T EVEN KNOW WHETHER OR NOT GLASTONBURY HAVE BOOKED AN ACT YET AND YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BIG SAID ACT ARE.

Sorry about the caps.

have an upvote Placid, agreed entirely, I can see you aren't throwing the toys out the pram!

I can't see how it would be THAT difficult to be honest. They could have just gone to Stereophonics for example, who would jump at the opportunity to sub at this stage in their career. Negotiations surely couldn't have been that extensive, and they've now had the best part of two weeks to sort it.

It wouldn't have been an earth shattering booking by any means, but they would draw a reasonable enough crowd and would please a fair few.

It would, but there's no evidence that they haven't been booked. We'll find out, at the very latest, in 3 days who the sub act is and even those who's festival depends on who this act is (doubt there's any) will be too Gillespie'd to care.

Blur said they would have replaced foos if they could have. What could have been...

It would have been amazing, but I think bumping Flo up was an even better move (as much as I love Blur) for the festival, providing they do get a reasonable sub act (by that, I mean bigger than Motorhead).

I'll hazard a guess that Flo will get a bigger crowd than Blur would have, though there's no way of gauging that.

Edited by The Placid Casual

I disagree with all of this.

Fair enough, I know the line up is amazing to some people, while to me it is very average.

Do you not think they would if they could you absolute donkey?! (I personally think they still have)

Of course they could, I think they've just taken the easy option and not bothered. You're telling me one of the biggest and best festivals in the world couldn't find anybody to play at short notice?

Nonsense

Fair enough.

It would have been amazing, but I think bumping Flo up was an even better move (as much as I love Blur) for the festival, providing they do get a reasonable sub act (by that, I mean bigger than Motorhead).

I'll hazard a guess that Flo will get a bigger crowd than Blur would have, though there's no way of gauging that.

I honestly can't say that I'd enjoy having Florence do a longer set and no Blur more than having Florence in the sub spot and a Blur headliner. I get that people like Florence and that's fine, but aside from a slightly longer set time in the headlining spot you're not getting anything new by bumping her to headline. If the sub act is great then that'll be a relief, because as it stands you're getting what you would have had anyway by Florence headlining but missing out on a headline-level band by not having someone at the Foo Fighters level there too. 

Edit: I appreciate they would have put someone big in if they could though. I just wanted to say I feel Blur would have been a much bigger get than bumping up Florence. 

Edited by wetflame

The fee may have been too much, they may have wanted to headline, they may have no show planned and not want to make utter tits of themselves. There are so many variables that oversimplified conclusions like this take no account of. 

Its a bit like when people tell script-writers they have a really good idea for a film. That idea is always shite. Telling a booking agent you have a really good idea for a booking is probably talking out your arse just as much.

Remember, they want this festival to be as good as you do. Probably more. They put more in. They are not sat on their arses, lighting fat cigars off your money.

Just just remembered a while ago people on here talking about how bands are booked and paid for a festival. I think that a lot of festivals pay acts part of their pay up front around a month before the festival so they can pay travel and crew costs, then pay the rest after the show. I don't know if this is how it's done at Glastonbury but if it is then that would leave them short on the low-funds they already have for headliners, I could definitely imagine it making life more difficult when trying to convince a new act to fill in on short notice.

I honestly can't say that I'd enjoy having Florence do a longer set and no Blur more than having Florence in the sub spot and a Blur headliner. I get that people like Florence and that's fine, but aside from a slightly longer set time in the headlining spot you're not getting anything new by bumping her to headline. If the sub act is great then that'll be a relief, because as it stands you're getting what you would have had anyway by Florence headlining but missing out on a headline-level band by not having someone at the Foo Fighters level there too. 

That's fair enough, but there's also the possibility that Glastonbury asked Blur and other big acts to headline and they all refused so they had no choice but to bump Flo and try and get a sub act in. Foos pulling out is a huge blow for them as pretty much irreplaceable if we're talking about popularity, so there's not much they can do there. The stick in my bicycle spokes here is that there's a few on here moaning at the festival which I feel is harsh. There's no one to blame for what's happened so people should just accept it and learn to get along etc.

my wife and I are shocked by the fact that there is no news of the Friday night support act. We like to get our chairs out in front of the Pyramid stage first thing for the weekend, and know who we will be watching between moodily glaring at those people wanting to get around us and our large picnic blanket. I like to drink mouthfuls of warm lager and snooze while the wife listen to radio 4 on her headphones and knits. Without knowing who will be up before Florence I rather fear we will be in a state of undue worry which will ruin our weekend, and possibly keep me awake in a state of mild irritation. Why oh why oh why do they put us through this?

Glastonbury are notorious for not being the best payers in the business as have so much to book and try to save some profit for charity. So whos to say that the likes of Stereophonics James elbow etc that everyone is talking about aren't trying to ask for too much as they know Glastonbury are in a sticky situation. Yeah course blur could have stepped in....for a massive fee