Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool in the bottom 3 by the end of October?

Away to Everton, Spurs and Chelsea and a home game versus Southampton.

Brendan gone by then, Pardew to come in.

Could be, apart from the Pardew bit.

Then again it could be like last season, where he tinkers for a few months and then gets them firing on all cylinders.

They're missing Hendo at the mo, tho it was good to see Sturridge back and looking all of the player he used to be (aside from being a bit too rusty to take the chances he got, but that's expected after a year out).

It's not like they were dreadful yesterday even tho they couldn't get the ball in the net. In fact I'd say there was a fair amount to be cheerful about, as they are starting to look like they're gelling. They certainly weren't as dull and toothless as Utd were for most of last season.

It's that putting-the-ball-in-the-net thing again, that they suffered from last season and the season 2 before that - but they do look like a team with goal-scorers, which is more than they looked last season.

Am starting to like Moreno a lot. There's something of the Gareth Bale about him.

Martial joins two other players to have scored in his first two premier league games for United.

Louis Saha & Federico Macheda.

No need to be too hasty with overblown statements. He did take his goals well though.

Yes time will tell, looks good though. I like his attitude when he got hacked down by a Southampton defender, then helped the defender as he was suffering with cramp.

Costa would of stamped on him when the ref wasn't looking.

Edited by thetime

Martial joins two other players to have scored in his first two premier league games for United.

Louis Saha & Federico Macheda.

No need to be too hasty with overblown statements. He did take his goals well though.

Agree yeah. I remember thinking Macheda was the real deal for about 6 months. Hes struggling at Cardiff now and couldn't even do it at Doncaster. Power of Fergie!

It's not like they were dreadful yesterday even tho they couldn't get the ball in the net. In fact I'd say there was a fair amount to be cheerful about, as they are starting to look like they're gelling. They certainly weren't as dull and toothless as Utd were for most of last season.

They certainly created a shitload of chances yeah. Finishing was dire mind you. And it was at home against Norwich where they'd be expected to create chances.

Huge few weeks ahead for Bren though. Their next few weeks are insane.

Pisspot, European pisspot and Villa, Everton (A), Spurs (A), Southampton, Chelsea (A), Palace and City (A) in the league.

Hes a terribly uninspiring chap. Who has spend £292 million in 3 years.

Edited by The Nal

so is Martial the real deal, or were the goals yesterday gifts? (I've not seen them, I've no idea).

If he is the real deal, WTF had nobody heard of him? :blink:

I guess thats down to the fact that he is young and hasnt had the opportunity to make a name in the champions league or international tournament. People were making out that Man utd were just picking a name out of a hat, when clearly they werent going to bid at that level without some sense he could be a success.

As TGT says the French league doesnt have much exposure over here, I suspect he is a lot better known in France than John Stones who also commanded big bids.

Am starting to like Moreno a lot. There's something of the Gareth Bale about him.

You mean in the way he has the letter E in both his christian and surname?

Could be, apart from the Pardew bit.

Then again it could be like last season, where he tinkers for a few months and then gets them firing on all cylinders.

They're missing Hendo at the mo, tho it was good to see Sturridge back and looking all of the player he used to be (aside from being a bit too rusty to take the chances he got, but that's expected after a year out).

It's that putting-the-ball-in-the-net thing again, that they suffered from last season and the season 2 before that - but they do look like a team with goal-scorers, which is more than they looked last season.

Liverpool still look like a 7-8 team tbh. I say Rodgers out by X-mas and Jurgen Klopp in

Sack Brendan Rodgers fund. Raised £450 quid! :lol: Some fans really are knobs.

More to the point, why would klopp go to Liverpool?

Why wouldn't he? Big club, big history (even if its condensed into a 15 year period) and they've no problem spunking a shitload of cash.

And he'll be used to selling his best players as he had to do that at Dortmund.

Edited by The Nal

He did wonders at dortmund with less money and worst players than Liverpool. I think he could get Liverpool back into top 4.

Less money and worse players is relative to what is at the league at the time. In Germany he had 1 big team to overtake, coming to the premiership there would be 4. Its easy to say he could get them consistently in the top 4, but for that to happen someone would have to consistently drop out.

Less money and worse players is relative to what is at the league at the time. In Germany he had 1 big team to overtake, coming to the premiership there would be 4. Its easy to say he could get them consistently in the top 4, but for that to happen someone would have to consistently drop out.

I think with his (Klopp) reputation and the attraction of the EPL, Liverpool would be able to source the players to knock either Arsenal or Man United out of the top four places on a regular basics 

(Although if English teams continue there form in the champs league will may only have 3 teams soon!).

I think with his (Klopp) reputation and the attraction of the EPL, Liverpool would be able to source the players to knock either Arsenal or Man United out of the top four places on a regular basics 

(Although if English teams continue there form in the champs league will may only have 3 teams soon!).

I think the only thing that will have liverpool consistently in the top 4 is a signifcant increase in expenditure. There net spend this summer wasnt enough to make closing the gap likely. I also see little evidence that Man Utd or Arsenal are ready to collapse.

I think people have Klopp down as some kind of magician Unless he can wave his wand and persuade the city and Chelsea owners to walk away, the expectations are higher than the reality of their situation. If liverpool can constantly be competing for 4th place and occasionally getting it then thats progress, but that wont be enough for many.

As for the champions league places, I hope England do lose a place. I think having 4 breeds comlacency.

It must be an odd feeling being an Arsenal fan, knowing that you have the moral high ground over the majority of football fans when it comes to your team but your team's failures and fuck-ups being so unbelievably predictable and amusing to most other people. They just seem utterly powerless to resist mistakes that are so glaringly obvious to others. They fulfill their stereotype just as gleefully as Costa and Mourinho do.

I'll wager that Mourinho and Costa planned what happened meticulously, and yet form Wenger you get “We warn them not to get involved, and I don’t understand Gabriel because he usually looks a calm boy,”. Usually looks a calm boy? Jesus wept.

Edited by mrtourette

It must be an odd feeling being an Arsenal fan, knowing that you have the moral high ground over the majority of football fans when it comes to your team but your team's failures and fuck-ups being so unbelievably predictable and amusing to most other people. They just seem utterly powerless to resist mistakes that are so glaringly obvious to others. They fulfill their stereotype just as gleefully as Costa and Mourinho do.

I'll wager that Mourinho and Costa planned what happened meticulously, and yet form Wenger you get “We warn them not to get involved, and I don’t understand Gabriel because he usually looks a calm boy,”. Usually looks a calm boy? Jesus wept.

What's more annoying is the attitude by many that the way Costa and players similar to him behave is an accepted part of football. The way Chelsea players crowd the ref is a tactical masterstroke and that Arsenals lack of doing this is a weakness (which due to this acceptance is utterly true)

What's more annoying is the attitude by many that the way Costa and players similar to him behave is an accepted part of football. The way Chelsea players crowd the ref is a tactical masterstroke and that Arsenals lack of doing this is a weakness (which due to this acceptance is utterly true)

Can't remember wenger complaining when the likes of Keown did similar to Ruud van Nistlerooy back in the day.

What's more annoying is the attitude by many that the way Costa and players similar to him behave is an accepted part of football. The way Chelsea players crowd the ref is a tactical masterstroke and that Arsenals lack of doing this is a weakness (which due to this acceptance is utterly true)

Agree, the weakness is on the part of Arsenal (Gabriel) and the ref for falling for it.

I think the only thing that will have liverpool consistently in the top 4 is a signifcant increase in expenditure. There net spend this summer wasnt enough to make closing the gap likely. I also see little evidence that Man Utd or Arsenal are ready to collapse.

I think people have Klopp down as some kind of magician Unless he can wave his wand and persuade the city and Chelsea owners to walk away, the expectations are higher than the reality of their situation. If liverpool can constantly be competing for 4th place and occasionally getting it then thats progress, but that wont be enough for many.

As for the champions league places, I hope England do lose a place. I think having 4 breeds comlacency.

If not klopp, Anchellotti is still around...

With regard to the UEFA coefficient, the only country in striking distance is Italy, and italian teams still need to have a good season and english teams a bad one for them to overtake us. This could effect the 2017/18 season. Can't see it happening myself.

Yeah and one of Italy's teams has been knocked out already. We won't lose our fourth spot any time soon.

so is Martial the real deal, or were the goals yesterday gifts? (I've not seen them, I've no idea).

If he is the real deal, WTF had nobody heard of him? :blink:

Even before his two goals yesterday I was thinking how much I'd liked the look of him in the PSV and Soton games.

I even found myself wanting him to score, despite not wanting United to get any points :lol: