Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The tie should be over.

Get a goal at OT and it is. Not conceding was really great. Utd having to go for it in the 2nd leg I reckon should work nicely for Liverpool, but if Utd score first and early then it really is game on.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it would be if Liverpool could put the ball in the net.

And because they couldn't (enough), it's all still there to be played for.

I think you are being a bit unfair (just slightly), but it think is because LFC have struggled to get the ball in the net this year at times, so it is understandable, but if they face most other keepers last night I have to believe its nearer 4-0. de Gea really did well on a few saves and LFC had 8 shots on target to Utds 1. The last 3 seasons that keeper has been the difference between Utd being shite and really really shite.............

As for the chats I would not go down the freedom of speech road with that as what they are doing could be viewed a criminal offence, in that it could be viewed as incitement to violence. These knob jockeys should be punished and banned and maybe going forward others will think twice before being an utter cock. Those who think "ah sure what can you do its always been like this" might as well just fully condone such moronic behaviour.

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I think you are being a bit unfair (just slightly), but it think is because LFC have struggled to get the ball in the net this year at times, so it is understandable, but if they face most other keepers last night I have to believe its nearer 4-0. de Gea really did well on a few saves and LFC had 8 shots on target to Utds 1. The last 3 seasons that keeper has been the difference between Utd being shite and really really shite.............

oh, I don't disagree that DdG made a big difference to the possible scoreline - but all the same, with that amount of dominance by Liverpool, the number of shots on target wasn't enough.

I think there's perhaps a bit of an issue with the team, of where the striker's support are running to - cos too many times last night Sturridge was (essentially) pushed out to the sides by the number of Liverpool players in the centre, in a similar way to what's happened with Benteke when he's played.

Not sure how it's cured, but it needs to be cured. Sturridge needs a chance to get a shot away, which he wasn't getting last night.

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

As for the chats I would not go down the freedom of speech road with that as what they are doing could be viewed a criminal offence, in that it could be viewed as incitement to violence. These knob jockeys should be punished and banned and maybe going forward others will think twice before being an utter cock. Those who think "ah sure what can you do its always been like this" might as well just fully condone such moronic behaviour.

On a positive note, fans are being called out much more nowadays on this sort of thing, and it reflects badly back onto the club and ultimately does make the fans modify their behaviour a little, so a change does come from it I reckon. Just think how the stuff in Paris last year reflected back on Chelsea.

Things might be moving too slowly, but they are moving I'd say.

United were an absolute shambles last night. It was poor finishing, but also a couple of inspired bits of goal keeping from De Gea. The one at close range right above him was still a hard one. Point blank and incredible reactions from him.

I don't buy that United have a chance in the next leg. Liverpool seem like an improving side, and United... well... they've just been gash for a while now.

10 minutes ago, DomDom1984 said:

United were an absolute shambles last night. It was poor finishing, but also a couple of inspired bits of goal keeping from De Gea. The one at close range right above him was still a hard one. Point blank and incredible reactions from him.

I don't buy that United have a chance in the next leg. Liverpool seem like an improving side, and United... well... they've just been gash for a while now.

Liverpool were fairly shite against Palace. Who are shite.

Utd are a shambles though yeah. De Gea will be gone this summer and with no Champions League to attract players. Just has to be Mourinho.

He elbowed someone in the face and the ref never caught it. So aye, there WILL be a ban incoming. And he's less of a panto villain and more of just a dickhead thug who thinks he can do what he likes on the pitch. He should have been sent off anyways. This ban will be well earned.

McClaren sacked. Rafa in. 10 game deal with a 3 year contract if they stay up. Which you would have to assume they have a great chance of doing now. Rafa is superb at setting up strong teams, short term anyway.

First game away to Leicester on Monday. No pressure!

Edited by The Nal

4 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Although I would counter that some more moderate chants could also be viewed as incitement to violence in the street, rightly or wrongly it is let go in the football environment, just as things are let go on the pitch that would have you arrested in a city centre.  It would be hard to outlaw a chant about liverpool fans being murderers because being a very popular side there are no doubt many liverpool fans residing in our prison having been convicted of that offence. 

To me they way to combat these chants is by shaming instead of legislation.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To me they way to combat these chants is by shaming instead of legislation.

This ^^

It (mostly) stopped the Munich chants. It's (mostly) put Chelsea fans back in their box. And there's been lots written about last night that's a step on a similar route.

Let's see if it happens next week.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

McClaren sacked. Rafa in. 10 game deal with a 3 year contract if they stay up. Which you would have to assume they have a great chance of doing now. Rafa is superb at setting up strong teams, short term anyway.

First game away to Leicester on Monday. No pressure!

I stand corrected, although I didn't think about an initial short term deal. Protects both of them.

Just now, mrtourette said:

I stand corrected, although I didn't think about an initial short term deal. Protects both of them.

Yep. It sort-of absolves Rafa of any of the responsibility and stain on his career if they go down. I guess it's the only way to get a half-decent manager (or better) rather than the desperates when you're in that position.

Will be genuinely interesting to see how it goes, tho I suspect the issues are more than any manager can quickly clear up.

6 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

Top manager? He's good but not great. Or would great be a top top manager?

I'm not a fan of his personality or style of management but his record speaks for itself doesn't it? 

La Liga x 2 (not with Barcelona or Real Madrid)

UEFA Cup x 2

European Cup

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

And thats the issue. Rafa has a history of butting heads with the board. 

yeah, but he's on a bit of a no-lose thing at the moment. If he doesn't improve things no one will point the finger at him, and if he does he's a hero.

So from now until the summer he can take the board on any way he wants to, and if he doesn't like how they show themselves he can walk away.  If he doesn't tackle them before the summer, he'd be fucking up his long term position at Newc - so it makes sense to take them on right now, if he has to.

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I'm not a fan of his personality or style of management but his record speaks for itself doesn't it? 

La Liga x 2 (not with Barcelona or Real Madrid)

UEFA Cup x 2

European Cup

Very fair of you TGT, cos I remember you're not fan of his.

Some people might say he should have done better here and there, but few saying that will have the same collection of trophies to their name.