Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

6 minutes ago, Celery said:

Can't believe i'm even going to dignify that with a response but i'll play along.  Our shitness this year has no relation to our performance last season when we walked it. Last years champions were being spoken about as the best prem team ever before xmas (bollocks obviously). Just shows how garbage we are currently

It was bollocks and I called it at the time ( I get so much wrong, need to call it when I get it right!). In my view that was possibly the most overrated championin premiership history and I wasn't surprised to see significant regression, although I didn't expect as much as happened.

A really good premiership side would never fall that far back in one season, regardless of what was going on behind closed doors. Your right this season will produce weak champions, but I don't think any weaker than last.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It was bollocks and I called it at the time ( I get so much wrong, need to call it when I get it right!). In my view that was possibly the most overrated championin premiership history and I wasn't surprised to see significant regression, although I didn't expect as much as happened.

A really good premiership side would never fall that far back in one season, regardless of what was going on behind closed doors. Your right this season will produce weak champions, but I don't think any weaker than last.

I dunno. Utd won it easily with poor teams a few times. I'll agree it was definitely the weakest out of Chelsea's 4 winning teams but it certainly performed a lot better than City/ Arsenal this season. Stats would definitely support that. We also had a half decent defence which is something none of the 'top' teams have at the mo. Anyway, I think we can all agree the standard at the top has been pretty shite for around 4/5 years now. Last really decent champions were maybe City the first time or us under Ancelloti. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

No one likes/cares about Chelsea. Soz.

The fact you bothered to write that proves you're talking bollocks as usual. The level of delight at our failure this season illustrates just how much 10 odd years of big success has wound certain people up, particularly those who support teams who used to be successful - liverpool, west ham, etc... I'm sorry we cost you the title but you need to let it go now and move on. 

24 minutes ago, Celery said:

The fact you bothered to write that proves you're talking bollocks as usual. The level of delight at our failure this season illustrates just how much 10 odd years of big success has wound certain people up, particularly those who support teams who used to be successful - liverpool, west ham, etc... I'm sorry we cost you the title but you need to let it go now and move on. 

I think the reason most people are happy is because most things about Chelsea are awful. Maybe not as much now that Mourinho is gone. But until Mourinho left your manager, captain and fans were mostly one huge cesspit.

What the fuck was Mertesacker doing with that challenge, anyway? As he's about to go in for the tackle he stop to look at the linesman; why? May have got the ball otherwise. Aside from that, it's beyond belief that a player of his experience thought Arsenal would be better off going down to 10 men for 70 mins than giving Costa a chance to make it 1-0 with a one-on-one.

17 hours ago, jackarmy said:

Massive win for Swansea today at Everton. Just shows how much the pundits actually know, writing us off as dead-rubbers for relegation before we'd even kicked a ball under Guidolin. 

God I hope this hubris turns out to be as ill-advised as Wooderson's.

18 hours ago, lost said:

18 wins in 61 games for Martinez now. You could sort of blame the europa last year but Everton now 8 points off the relegation places. Can't help thinking another manager would be doing better with that team.

It got brushed under the carpet due to the over-achievement in his first season but his inability to organise a defense is coming back to the fore.

It will be interesting to see what Kenwright does; previously loyal and seemingly happy for Everton to 'bubble-under' year after year, will he be happy with another top 10 finish and a decent number of cup games or will he roll to dice and take the risk of a another manager being able to do more with such a collection of promising young(ish) players? And how many of them are there and performing well because of Martinez? I'm pretty sure we only managed to get Deulofeu back because of Martinez. Also confusing the matter will be his continued desire to sell the club, does he rock the boat and risk losing value/assets or does he pull the trigger and go for more success and a higher value?

Anyway, yesterday was a refreshing reminder of what being an Everton fan is like. I'd allowed myself to believe that a home game against a struggling and allegedly inferior opponent would be a sure thing and deserved to be punished.

Edited by mrtourette

1 minute ago, mrtourette said:

God I hope this hubris turns out to be as ill-advised as Wooderson's.

Regardless of whether we go down or not, I still think the fact that the likes of Lawrenson, Matt Elliot, Merson lambasted us for appointing a manager without doing any research into him is pig ignorant.

They criticised him, saying that he knew nothing about Swansea or the Premier League. Ignoring the fact that he openly said in his interviews that he'd been watching our matches for the last month, and had been working as a technical for Watford since 2014. 

Anyway, about time we had a bit of a break against Everton...

10 hours ago, Celery said:

When's the last time a successful side was popular, not in my lifetime.

Oh and when were West Ham successful?

18 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

You're an Everton fan aren't you Tourette?

Yes. When I make an arse out of myself due to an alarming lack of awareness of how average my team is, please call me out for it.

No matter how much I dislike Liverpool and their fans*, I hate me and my team even more. 30 largely-miserable years as an Everton fan has lead to a perverse pleasure in ribbing those who demonstrate any kind of hope, positivity or celebration of minor success.

Edited by mrtourette

Everton have won 18 of their last 61 games under Martinez. Hes under big pressure now it seems. 

As is LVG obviously. Huge month coming up. Stoke, Sunderland, Chelsea, Arsenal and the Europe pisspot. Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone after another defeat. Which would be on Friday night against Derby.

10 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

One thing he is for sure these days is a dog with a bone! 

Yeah I know, I just hate this "the standard of the league is poor this year because none of the teams we thought were good are doing very well". It's incredible arrogance on the part of supporters of the big clubs, completely unaware that just because the 'good' teams aren't good or playing decent football that there aren't other teams coming through that fill that hole. Tottenham, Leicester and Stoke playing better, more clinical football than Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea doesn't mean the league is weak, it means you need to adjust your preconceptions about what is 'supposed' to happen.

LVG has spent a lot of mulla to have a worse record than Moyes as Utd manager. Why are Utd not being as cut throat? Because they are embarrassed they fell for a big name? Or is it because they are waiting for a certain moment in the season when they can get rid and it would cost them less then now, say when its mathematically impossible for Utd to qualify for the CL?