Football 2015/16

TheGayTent

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Of course the bookies don't think they will win the league and neither (as I'm still predicting city) do I.  However in my view a player/manager shouldn't be at a club like man utd if they think its impossible to pull back a 7 point margin with the best part of half a season to go. 

The name of the club you are means fuck all. Ask any LFC supporter. Blind optimism can be a weakness and Being a big club doesnt change that

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Whilst there often is one side that plummets I really can't see it with Watford. They score goals and only need 3 wins from 16 games to stay up. 

Aye, just seen they have Villa, Sunderland and Bournemouth at home still to play. You would fancy them in all of those games.

Hopefully they can do us a favour and pick up 3 points on Saturday though!

25 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

The name of the club you are means fuck all. Ask any LFC supporter. Blind optimism can be a weakness and Being a big club doesnt change that

being a big club does change the odds the bookies offer, tho.

People are likely to place bets on their club, and a bigger fanbase equals more bets for more money, and so bigger potential losses for the bookies if that option comes in ... and so they cover this off with the lower odds they offer for the 'big' club, and with higher odds for the smaller clubs to encourage more bets towards them.

And so the 20/1 that the bookies offer is saying that Man Utd are more likely to win the league than is really the case.

Edited by eFestivals

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

People are likely to place bets on their club, and a bigger fanbase equals more bets for more money, and so bigger potential losses for the bookies if that option comes in ... and so they cover this off with the lower odds they offer for the 'big' club, and with higher odds for the smaller clubs to encourage more bets towards them.

And so the 20/1 that the bookies offer is saying that Man Utd are more likely to win the league than is really the case.

Are man utd 5th favourites in the betting?

4 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

The expectations at a club like man Utd is they should be winning nearly all their games, that's not based just on reputation, but the amount of money they pump in. With half a season to go man Utd will almost always play clubs with worse team/squads. Beat all the lesser teams and they probably will be champions.

I don't believe it will happen, but applaud the players and the managers if they feel they can do it. With the best defence in the league and the 2 main contenders struggling to win away in the league and playing more games, there is a route to the title and I don't think they should be giving up yet.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not sure that's correct, Spurs (with a smaller fanbase) are 2 points ahead and I think their odds were generally 18/1.

hmmm. man utd are in europa so are playing as many games as arsenal and city in theory (on a thursday as well) and less than lecister.

and does the best defence in the league often ship 3 goals to newcastle?☺ based on stats, i think spurs have a better defence.

still utd are techinicall still in it (as are west ham and stoke☺)

56 minutes ago, thetime said:

Are man utd 5th favourites in the betting?

I've no idea.

I was simply pointing out that because of how betting works, Utd's price is always likely to be set nearer them winning the title than their real chances of winning the title - in other words, they're a bet for the mug punters only, really.

4 hours ago, zahidf said:

hmmm. man utd are in europa so are playing as many games as arsenal and city in theory (on a thursday as well) and less than lecister.

and does the best defence in the league often ship 3 goals to newcastle?☺ based on stats, i think spurs have a better defence.

Do you think they will try for the europa league? I think unless they have a bad sequence of league results (which would mean Europa league is best route to champions league) they will purely focus on the league. 

I wouldn't read too much into man Utd conceding 3 at Newcastle, just as I wouldn't if an attacking team drew a blank at a bottom 3 side, these  things happen in football. I would still back man Utd over Spurs to get a clean sheet of there life depended on it.

I personally can only see 2 sides winning the league, but think the top 5 should all believe they can take the title. People often moan that managers/ players are bland/sit on the fence, but when one sticks his neck out, people want more wishy washy instead.

13 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I think you have your thought process arse about face. 

I meant to say the winter before a home euros. At 30 this is probably his last chance to represent France in a tournament and it's one they can win. If he goes to the premiership and flops that dream may be over.

Apparently he is paid a shitload in Mexico, I can't see him moving before the summer.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I meant to say the winter before a home euros. At 30 this is probably his last chance to represent France in a tournament and it's one they can win. If he goes to the premiership and flops that dream may be over.

Apparently he is paid a shitload in Mexico, I can't see him moving before the summer.

Like I said, you have it arse about face. 

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

While not disagreeing with this Neil, for the same reasons ( bigger fan base more bets as you say ) I would add that at times a bookie will go out to " get " your bigger clubs fans when they ( the bookies ) don`t fancy their chances of winning.

So.....as well as offering lower odds to reduce potential losses, you could see someone like Paddy Power sticking Man Utd for the league out to 25/1 to entice the bigger fan base and their cash / loyalty.

16 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

He wants the move - the major factor in that being a better opportunity to secure his place in the squad. 

It would be a loan, at least initially. 

When does the Mexico season run? I would have thought if he gained possession of the shirt from playing in Mexico the safest option would be to stay put, however I guess that depends what the French manager has told him. 

16 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

When does the Mexico season run? I would have thought if he gained possession of the shirt from playing in Mexico the safest option would be to stay put, however I guess that depends what the French manager has told him. 

They're strange, they have two. One has just finished and the other has just started. 

7 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

Well that's a steaming pile of horse manure...if Liverpool beat Exeter tomorrow night our allocation at Anfield is just 3,000 for the 4th round. 

Brady is such a hairy axe wound 

Isn't it 15%  capacity of the stadium for cup games? 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Isn't it 15%  capacity of the stadium for cup games? 

In theory, yes. However there's various reasons why that isn't always the case. The police can reduce it if they wish (without giving much of a reason). So can the Safety Advisory Group. 

Or, and I wouldn't put it past Brady, it could be because Brady has taken only the smaller allocation. 

11 hours ago, mrtourette said:

Endless debate about how much Man Utd paid/could pay for Martial resolved http://screamer.deadspin.com/read-the-transfer-agreement-between-manchester-united-a-1753686550

there's a story in one of the papers today, that Everton have told Man Utd £65M for Lukaku.

I think they've made a terrible error, cos compared to LvG's signings it's a bargain price. :P