Need some back up

Fingle

Does also depend on the type of trainers! Good running or trail trainers will be fine if its dry, and actually pretty easy on the feet

Even in dry weather wouldn't go for the thin sole trainer as they are rubbish for walking and a nightmare for slipping even if you just get a light shower. Definitely need something with good grip as when the rain mixes with a dry surface at the festival you get an hour or so of very slippy mud until it turns really gloppy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hiking boots....never had wet feet yet.......wellies too uncomfortable for walks between stages.........you've tried... if he doesn't listen its his own fault.. only an idiot would consider doing this.

went with a bunch in 2007 that didn't take waterproofs........just went everywhere soaking wet..

Another walking boot fan here. Just bought some new ones after my last ones gave up last year. They seem about 80% less bulky than my last ones which is a little concerning - hope they hold up ok!

I tend to make a call on wellies on the Tuesday night. Only ever needed/used them once and that was 2011 for the mud on Saturday after that horrific sideways rain during U2.

Trainers are good on a dry site but it is likely to rain at some point in the weekend (NFR NFC notwithstanding) and walking boots will be the saviour!

It would come down to your style of clothing, surely? I would say walking boots are far better than wellies but if for example you're wearing a skinnier type of jeans, you'd look a bit daft.

Yeah, wouldn't want to look daft at Glastonbury :)

But yeah, get what you're saying, but I'd value comfort over looks when it comes to the festival. And you don't want to be wearing jeans if it's a wet one anyway...

One day I am actually going to get a hold of the footage that a friend has of me stuck in the mud at Glastonbury wearing a pair of fishing waders and show it on here. It's at the very bending edge of slap stick comedy - you know, the uncomfortable bit where you wonder about whether the person performing such acts isn't actually mentally retarded and that you really ought to go and help them out rather than laugh.

He'll be fine, there are plenty of places to buy wellies onsite if the weather takes a turn for the worse. My boyfriend regularly only takes trainers as he's forever losing wellies and refuses to buy them outside of the festival and his feet have the stamina of a pampered princess.

One day I am actually going to get a hold of the footage that a friend has of me stuck in the mud at Glastonbury wearing a pair of fishing waders and show it on here. It's at the very bending edge of slap stick comedy - you know, the uncomfortable bit where you wonder about whether the person performing such acts isn't actually mentally retarded and that you really ought to go and help them out rather than laugh.

Laughing already :-)

Just wanted to clarify that by trainers I mean something like these. They're grippy on the walkways, gravel, grass and mud and will keep your feet dry as long as you don't go in lakes of mud over your ankle.

1315312-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

These do look comfey and practical, I will recommend. Thanks

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I am going to show him at camping tonight, he will be quite surprised as he also does not use forums etc so I don't think he will be expecting much.

As you say though trainers are fine if it's dry and he can buy wellies there but I hope this may convince him that walking boots / walking trainers are important not just the adidas sambas he will be bringing.

I now have the solace that I have tried and any slipping and mud diving he does can be met with a hearty giggle.

Thanks again and roll on the 24th :)

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I am going to show him at camping tonight, he will be quite surprised as he also does not use forums etc so I don't think he will be expecting much.

As you say though trainers are fine if it's dry and he can buy wellies there but I hope this may convince him that walking boots / walking trainers are important not just the adidas sambas he will be bringing.

I now have the solace that I have tried and any slipping and mud diving he does can be met with a hearty giggle.

Thanks again and roll on the 24th :)

Sounds like he's more bothered about the way he looks rather than the practicality of the footwear required, and also won't take advice from his mate, so for that reason let stubborn fker suffer.

My mate wore trainers last year and slipped all over the place after the rains came, he was the only person we saw in trainers all festival after that. He's got some rigger boots this year.

One of my best friends once decided against bringing wellies and we told him that if he didn't bring them then he'd be on his own if he got stuck in the mud. On the Friday, and once the mud had started to really churn up, we walked past the back of The Other Stage and his feet got enveloped and stuck. We all laughed while he flailed around trying to free himself, he then overexerted himself and fell forwards and both of his hands got stuck in the mud. As he called for help his glasses then fell off into the mud. It was at this moment that some random ran over to him, he exclaimed how grateful he was for the help, until he realised they had only come over to take a photograph of the idiot stuck in the mud. We did eventually help him out after a good five minutes of mocking him. He did however learn his lesson and went out and purchased wellies straight away.

The lesson of this story is, don't trust your friends.