How have the sort of people who attend the festival changed & when?

gooner1990

I reckon Russy's bed is against the wall, he gets out that side every day :P you have to love his commitment.

From that 2000 clip I came across this from 1999, which was an excellent year. The difference between the stone circle as it was then and is now is a good example of how things have changed.

https://youtu.be/043vG5hRyVs

My first Glastonbury !

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video remindex me of lots of things that don't happen anymore:

The drummers in the circle

Those candle flare things, that's all you would see across the pyramid and especially the stone circle

Protest naked man

The man with the cross

Stella man

Joe Bananas and 24hr beats.

Only went to 99 and 2000 before the fence so all these things seemed normal, went back in 2005 and most were gone then again in 2008 and all were gone.

Those candle flare things, that's all you would see across the pyramid and especially the stone circle

Protest naked man

The man with the cross

Stella man

Only went to 99 and 2000 before the fence so all these things seemed normal, went back in 2005 and most were gone then again in 2008 and all were gone.

Yes that's all true. And not a Hunter welly on sight!

That said., I'm glad for the cleaner bogs and less traffic on site these days

This thread has really got me thinking about past Glastonburys.

The crowd has changed massively from when I first went. The Glastonbury crowd was the freaks and outsiders from all over the country. It had a mixture of people but I'd say a large percentage of the people were living on the fringes of society.

I loved/love the place because of that, young and old, rich and poor all united in a glorious counter culture extravaganza.

Its not that any more because it couldn't be.

That Glastonbury was a visceral exiting experience in those days. Why was it so exciting? Cos it was out of control! The excitement came from being part of living breathing city made of the crazies from every area and social group. It was frightening, comforting, exhilarating and brilliant all at the same time

Even though I saw some mad shit in those days I genuinely loved it.

I take back what I said earlier about it not being a utopia, it was, its a uptopia that wassn't safe and sleepy its was imperfect and dangerous in places but it beat the real world hands down. Still does.

It's the counter culture element that has dwindled away, for sure. It's like Neil said, going to the festival was something that could get you tarnished like some sort of member of the militant tendency. The thing is, that was what attracted me in the first place, this city of people from the fringes coming together and, if only for a few days, feeling like they were the majority, that they belonged and people weren't staring at them with judgemental eyes for a change.

I suppose the question is, are we the judgemental ones now or is it valid to be annoyed that those days are gone? For every person I know who has been going for decades I know half a dozen who stopped going years ago because it isn't what it was and twice as many who have started going because it is what it is.

Yes, it certainly sounds like the 'old' Glastonbury gave people the full experience of being part of the marginal fringes of society: being beaten up, being heckled, being chased by men with knives.

Yeah but that wasn't all of it, it wasn't hell or heaven it was a real place and probably safer than most cities. Were not talking about Disney land.

When ypu assemble the margins of society in a field its gonna get hairy now and agaim, that was part of the thrill.

Protest naked man

The man with the cross

Stella man

Joe bananas went in 2010 i think which is a shame.

24hr beats? Ithere was house n techno on full throttle round the clock last year?im assuming i got you right.

I met jesus with his hoola hoop, he was so stoned.i think maybe the cross had lost its appeal?

Joe bananas went in 2010 i think which is a shame.

24hr beats? Ithere was house n techno on full throttle round the clock last year?im assuming i got you right.

I met jesus with his hoola hoop, he was so stoned.i think maybe the cross had lost its appeal?

What I meant was the endless beats in and around the markets. I spent a few hours at a silent disco at Joe bananas (I think) in 2009 and had a wickef time for a few hours but not really the same.

I know there's a lot of nostalgia for all the market sound systems, but I'd much rather go to Block 9 than dance in front of a shop.

While the SE corner is definitely a spectacle there was a random organic quality to the market parties. Not always the same stalls on same nights etc. You never quite knew what was around the next corner. Or a sound system on a truck. More is not always better.

I think that's it though isnt it - its all laid on now for people to consume instead of feeling like you were making it happen by being there. I think that's true of the camping experience now as well - people expected to go and have to do a bit of cooking and have a fire and camp. Now you can buy everything and around the tent is just somewhere you crash.

There is still community though - you just have to seek it out. We find there's a lot of community in Tom's Field anyway.

Edited by giantkatestacks

While the SE corner is definitely a spectacle there was a random organic quality to the market parties. Not always the same stalls on same nights etc. You never quite knew what was around the next corner. Or a sound system on a truck. More is not always better.

Spot on.

Spontaneous fun is always better than organised fun isnt it?

The fact the after hours stuff at glastonbury was entirely made by the people rather the organisers ensured that every year was exciting and you felt like you really made a difference. Everyone was in it together. One person dancing like a loon could quickly become 100 or 200 or more. Looking back it was just dancing outside a shop, but at the time it was more than that. I guess the fact everyone wasnt monged on ketamine helped too.

This year we know precisely what to expect from the SE corner. Oh look! A dystopian future! Never seen that before...

Spot on.

The fact the after hours stuff at glastonbury was entirely made by the people rather the organisers ensured that every year was exciting and you felt like you really made a difference. Everyone was in it together. One person dancing like a loon could quickly become 100 or 200 or more. Looking back it was just dancing outside a shop, but at the time it was more than that. I guess the fact everyone wasnt monged on ketamine helped too.

This year we know precisely what to expect from the SE corner. Oh look! A dystopian future! Never seen that before...

You make a lot of good points that are close to my heart and I particularly wish they would leave the Wednesday and Thursday alone in terms of entertainment, but...

Fricki' lasers man! 3d projections, waterfalls, underground carriages crashed into buildings. There's so much great stuff these days. I remember wandering around the markets at 1 in the morning in the 90's and then just fucking off back to my tent because it was all dead. Sure, sometimes, there were those great moments where a random group would all start dancing like loons, but I've done that in the naughties too, although only on the Wednesday. I'd rather have another dystopian future with frickin' lasers than dance in front of Jo Bananas AGAIN because everything else is shut.

Apparently there were unregulated raves going on in the SE corner even back in the day, but nobody bloody told me about them! I'm sure it wasn't really all shut, but it looked that way to my teenage self.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Spot on.

Russy moans like a motherfucker about almost every aspect of Glastonbury yet every year he goes back.

Don't trust the ranting of a man who chose to watch doves over Neil Young, utter mad man

The thing is though every generation says the same "it's not as good as it used to be" I kick myself when I think it because I sound just like an old fart and I am just turning into my parents.

My first year was 1999 and I enjoy the festival just as much now as I did then.

With regards fashion who really cares what people wear, I have been a bit of a fashion victim over the years and still like to make an effort to look cool, (whether I have ever pulled it off is a different matter) but I will talk to anyone, enjoy talking to people, behave in a friendly and open manner and get into the spirit of the festival. As the old saying goes, never judge a book by it's cover!!

I think that's it though isnt it - its all laid on now for people to consume instead of feeling like you were making it happen by being there. I think that's true of the camping experience now as well - people expected to go and have to do a bit of cooking and have a fire and camp. Now you can buy everything and around the tent is just somewhere you crash.

Agree with that, over the years I've found myself taking less and less food with me, and the only time I tend to have a campfire is when I'm at Reading.

There is just so much other stuff to see and do that everyone is always off and about and the camping/cooking and 'roughing it' element has sort of died. I think most peoples views are take a few little snacks, but generally buy a brekkie meal and one big one for late lunch/dinner and you're done. No Pot Noodles at the campsite anymore!

One of my mates brought his girlfriend with him in 2013 and she paid £40 to have her hair washed etc at a salon nr the Beat Hotel on the saturday night..sigh....

There's a lot of negative bollocks being posted here.....the festival is what you make of it, if it's really 'so awful' compared to the 'good old days' how about you not go and give your ticket to someone who'd appreciate it eh? Why anyone would pay over 200 quida ticket and then whine whine whine is beyond me

They won't be repeating the mistake of booking a band like metallica to headline again, given how microscopic the crowd was, so I'll be sticking around I think.