Waterproof Jacket / Poncho?

ManchesterGlasto

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will take a look at mountain warehouse poncho. Any recommendations for a cheap but decent lightweight jacket?

TOG24 stuff is pretty good for the price. Mine was about £20 I think, and it's survived Glastonbury and the Lake District in October...

I cant give this poncho enough praise - http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Rain-Poncho/Pr312158001

It's as thick as shower curtain but really easy to move around in. The water literally rolls off the material.

Come to think of, ive bought nearly all my camping stuff from Clas Ohlson and it has never let me down and is great value!

I always take a waterproof jacket that folds in on itself so it doesn't take up lots of bag space AND a cheap poncho, if very heavy rain is forecast. Wearing both at the same time was very useful the other year in the Park watching Radiohead. You can also use the poncho to sit on while still having some sort of waterproof on.

These are light, very waterproof (survived the storm last year no problem) and breathable.

Also a massive bargain from Efests

http://camping.efestivals.co.uk/dark-blue-rain-poncho-2105-p.asp

I like the look of this, though I have one of those Army ponchos, didn't take it last year and got caught in the storm with just what was supposed to be a rain proof wind sheeter, wrong!

In 6 festivals I finally think that I have solved the issue.

1) 1 trespass style waterproof (not resistant or crap fashion) light jacket)

2)always carry one of those emergency ponchos ( disposable ones) they are fab when coupled with a jacket

3)If it's raining when I get up and one of those days... jacket plus waterproof trews!

I cant give this poncho enough praise - http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Rain-Poncho/Pr312158001

It's as thick as shower curtain but really easy to move around in. The water literally rolls off the material.

Come to think of, ive bought nearly all my camping stuff from Clas Ohlson and it has never let me down and is great value!

Top banana mate, I have a Clas right next to my work. I will be popping in in about 3 minutes to pick up one of these bad boys!

edit: BOGOF as well absolute bargain, this will help with a light shower or 2!

Edited by mungo57

can someone point me towards the proper army ponchos please?

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/virtuemart/wet-gear-ponchos-etc-80/waterproofs-poncho-dutch-p-u-rip-stop-d-p-m-2250-detail?Itemid=0

This is what you are looking for, even if that site doesn't have stock!

Love mine, only thing is , they are bit cumbersome to have in your bag (never got the hang of folding it down flat :P) but they do work like a god send!

No one has mentioned it but, as long as you are considerate with one, an umbrella is superb

Only got one hand left for drink though :P

Watching Kasabian at the pyramid last year,there was a guy i noticed in front of us ,wearing a green poncho ,and oddly squatting occasionally.

Turns out he was using it as a piss shelter, He was on a wee slope too, so it all drained away nicely to our feet.

Serves me right for going to Kasabian..

Watching Kasabian at the pyramid last year,there was a guy i noticed in front of us ,wearing a green poncho ,and oddly squatting occasionally.

Turns out he was using it as a piss shelter, He was on a wee slope too, so it all drained away nicely to our feet.

Serves me right for going to Kasabian..

Similar happened to me during Madness a few years ago. A girl squatted in the middle of a circle of guys and I knew what was going on, I called her out and got abuse, turned my back and started skanking and about 5 mins later one of the guys pissed straight down the back of my legs!

I tried to turn and hit him but the fucker started away and I just left him go.

Some people are fucking savages.

Ponchos are shit. You will still get wet.

A waterproof coat is miles better

It very much depends on the Poncho. The glorified plastic bags like this are shit:

disposable-foldaway-waterproof-poncho-15

But military grade ponchos are awesome. I have something like this, which cost about £15 from an army surplus stall at Glasto in 2004:

10630001_gr_91_1_93_.jpg

In 2007-level weather I would team it up with waterproof trousers (also army surplus) and wellies. You are kept perfectly dry, you don't get sweaty, and it doubles up as a massive mat to sit on. It also folds up small enough to easily fit in a little rucksack. Incidentally, it's big enough so you can wear the little rucksack underneath it and keep that dry as well.

I have a small waterproof which packs into its own pocket, and this is fine for showers, but for downpours the poncho will always come out :)

I've got a "waterproof" jacket from Primark but I'm debating grabbing something else as last year that didn't stand up to the downpour. That rain was pretty heavy though. Might just grab a couple of pocket ponchos to put on over the top if it starts raining. Obviously that's not going to happen this year though!

Similar happened to me during Madness a few years ago. A girl squatted in the middle of a circle of guys and I knew what was going on, I called her out and got abuse, turned my back and started skanking and about 5 mins later one of the guys pissed straight down the back of my legs!

I tried to turn and hit him but the fucker started away and I just left him go.

Some people are fucking savages.

Thought my experience was bad, but that's just completely out of order.

It's like these people are just trying to get a rise out of anyone.

Lowlife.

There are loads of ponchos sold as 'army' ponchos but many are no such thing - they're just camo/olive green. Most modern issue stuff is ripstop nowadays, which has the benefit of being lighter but if you go this route make sure it's also PU lined like these - as mentioned earlier I've been warned off ones without a lining (although doubtless there are good quality ones about). You'll notice that in that link they've at least been honest enough to state they're army style rather than pretend they're army issue.

I prefer the heavier ones simply because you know they'll do the job, stand up to severe abuse and last a good amount of time. Older British repro ones here (no idea how these actually compare, but looking on ebay the genuine ones seem thin on the ground) and German Army ones here (just noticed they've got British ones as well).

...and German Army ones here (just noticed they've got British ones as well).

I have one of these and it's the utter dogs bollocks.

Gotta go with poncho for starters as jacket just means wet bum/legs unless you're also in waterproof trous and the ripstop stuff is only ever so waterproof even PU coated. These fully bonded PU ones will hold water like a bucket and you can just carry on like it's not even raining. Bit heavy, but multipurpose

The brit pattern ones are good too, but I've had dodgy seams on both I've had sadly. The PU bonding should be permanent at the molecular level so fingers crossed it'll keep going strong