Deciding on the dreaded clashes ...

st dan

.. It happens at every Glastonbury and this year looks no different. Two acts you want to see are on at the same time .. How do you decide who to watch?

Amount of times you've seen x vs y?

Go for which you think will be better regardless of who you want to see more?

Does the stage / time each act is on help the decision?

Go with what your friends are doing?

Usually this as I enjoy watching bands more when I am with friends & Glastonbury can occasionally be a right ball ache to meet up with people, especially if you know they are unreliable or you have no phone signal.

.. It happens at every Glastonbury and this year looks no different. Two acts you want to see are on at the same time .. How do you decide who to watch?

Amount of times you've seen x vs y?

Go for which you think will be better regardless of who you want to see more?

Does the stage / time each act is on help the decision?

the middle two, which will be better is the main one and obviously what time and what stage they're on feeds into that.

plus if i have seen the act recently before or will do after then thats a secondary thing.

BUT when this is not a concern (i.e there's nothing i desperately want to see on) the next item on the agenda is seeing something new or different that i've not seen before, mixing it up a bit!

Edited by Memory Man

It's very very rare that I'll opt for an act based on what my friends go for as I'd regret that decision most of the time (maybe I need new friends? :P)

I usually weigh up future tour dates and/or how often I'd seen the acts in question. E.g. last year I was stuck between London Grammar & Massive Attack but quickly realised I'd have plenty of opportunities to see London Grammar so I opted for MA

Usually have a vauguish plan to go with the one I haven't seen/less likely to see again but in all honesty ...usually its an on the day decision based on what I am feeling like seeing/how far the stage is away from the point I am and if I can be fudged to trek half way across the site :P

I see clashes as options to suit your mood now.

Like some others I weigh up whether I'm likely to see them again or not and factor in the weather. If I'm on Pyramid and the two bands are on say John Peel and the Park, do I really wanna trudge all the way to The Park in the mud that badly!!

Mind you, that walk to John Peel from Pyramid can be as bad!

Usually have a vauguish plan to go with the one I haven't seen/less likely to see again but in all honesty ...usually its an on the day decision based on what I am feeling like seeing/how far the stage is away from the point I am and if I can be fudged to trek half way across the site :P

I see clashes as options to suit your mood now.

Similar thing here. I generally highlight a bunch of shit I want to see but apart from some must sees I tend to go with the flow and see how I feel at the time. As the day starts out I tend to stick with my initial plan but then as I get more intoxicated throughout the day / weekend my plans go to pot and I just do whatever feels right at the time.

My only one regret was not going to see LCD Soundsystem in 2010. That wasn't even because of any clash, just sheer laziness...

The absolutely brilliant thing about Glastonbury is that it's the one place you can confidently be away from your friends at a different stage & know absolutely that you'll make a new one. I was quite nervous about doing this last year but that rang true every single time which was lovely.

I can make a decision weeks in advance based on any number of the factors listed above. But ultimately it just comes down to what I fancy on the day.

This. Very definitely this. Still getting abuse from a couple of mates from 2010 when I decided I really wasn't in the mood for Stevie Wonder and buggered off to watch Levellers close out The Glade. When it came to it I couldn't think of any band I'd rather see to finish Glastonbury, despite the fact that I will never again get a chance to see SW.

Gotta go with the moment, but it's worth thinking which you might regret most - I've ballsed up a few times in retrospect there are some can't miss acts

But most of all this wisdom from Ron

7baa58323ac971020f75688532454e7bb1cf899f

Edited by frostypaw