Headliners 2016

thewayiam

14 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Agreed. I don't know anything about foals but if they're big enough for Wembley arena and reading then why on earth would you recycle muse and coldplay over them? Makes no sense at all. It just makes glastonbury look scared

Foals have a weird obtuseness about them you might just like Russy.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

You could look at it that way, but to me it says 'we've got these 3 mega-headliners up top, and to boot we've got another major festival headliner as a sub'. It's not like Foals aren't getting their shot at headlining a festival - they've got R/L for that. If they're willing to accept lower at Glastonbury when they could easily just say no then we should be thankful for that. Whether this puts a bump in the road for them headlining come the next album I'm not sure, but they'll get there

That's the opposite of the point though. Two of the three mega headliners are recent and completely unnecessary repeats while there's a rising band big enough to headline one festival playing support for one of them. It's strong to have them sub, nobody's debating that, but it's backwards.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

You could look at it that way, but to me it says 'we've got these 3 mega-headliners up top, and to boot we've got another major festival headliner as a sub'. It's not like Foals aren't getting their shot at headlining a festival - they've got R/L for that. If they're willing to accept lower at Glastonbury when they could easily just say no then we should be thankful for that. Whether this puts a bump in the road for them headlining come the next album I'm not sure, but they'll get there

I suppose so, but having foals instead of muse (plus an extra 50k to charity) is hardly going to mean the festival doesn't sell out next year. Easy for me to say when it isn't my arse on the line though I know...

If they have got these three mega headliners this year, all it does is ramp up expectations for next year. And so the cycle continues

Just now, dentalplan said:

That's the opposite of the point though. Two of the three mega headliners are recent and completely unnecessary repeats while there's a rising band big enough to headline one festival playing support for one of them. It's strong to have them sub, nobody's debating that, but it's backwards.

But my point is that R/L has them headlining so they were never gonna be able to headline Glastonbury as well anyway. The fact that they probably weren't asked to headline Glastonbury in the first place is a bit shite, but then they're having to co-headline R/L so obviously aren't seen as strong enough just yet. I see no problem with it, and found far more offence to Flo not outright doing it last year. I guess the point still stands that Coldplay or Muse could've been replaced by another up and comer though, but isn't that always the case? Festivals want the best top tier, and there are few acts right now who could be given the chance and not seen as incredibly weak

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

But my point is that R/L has them headlining so they were never gonna be able to headline Glastonbury as well anyway. The fact that they probably weren't asked to headline Glastonbury in the first place is a bit shite, but then they're having to co-headline R/L so obviously aren't seen as strong enough just yet. I see no problem with it, and found far more offence to Flo not outright doing it last year. I guess the point still stands that Coldplay or Muse could've been replaced by another up and comer though, but isn't that always the case? Festivals want the best top tier, and there are few acts right now who could be given the chance and not seen as incredibly weak

That's pretty much just R+L joining Glasto in coward's corner. Festivals make the headliners, the bands shouldn't have to be verging on stadiums to get there and look at how R+L have fucked up with another headliner because there's so little to go around. As Russy said, it's easy for me to say as it's not my arse on the line either but if Glasto bumped up one act a year, and I'm not checking but it probably did do that most years in the past, then it'd do wonders for the festival scene but they all seem as frightened as one another tossing the same bands between them. 

My research just now (on setlist.fm so very possibly wrong) shows that the biggest headline date Radiohead did prior to Glastonbury was Manchester Apollo and Oasis had one arena show under their belt in Sheffield. Both did career making gigs at the festival and never looked back.

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Also find it incredibly strange how much support Flo gets in hindsight as 'should've been headlining anyway' when I must have racked up 500 posts arguing that case at the start of last year with people who wanted some oldie instead. When that oldie was The Who it was all "wrong oldie! should've been Flo!". :lol:

Any new headliner is preferable to a repeater I reckon.

For a festival like Glastonbury surely it doesn't matter about who headlines and who sub. What actually matters is who plays and even that doesn't massively matter as it always sells out before anyone is confirmed so Glastonbury could have pj and Duncan headline and everyone would still turn up..... Imagine that.

Seriously though if Glastonbury can book bigger bands/acts than the likes of Foals then why wouldn't they and therefore why wouldn't they headline?

I'm a bigger fan of Foals than Radiohead, Muse or Adele but can still see why they should headline over Foals.

I have an idea that an act that hasn't been too strongly rumoured might fill a headliner spot. I don't have any inside knowledge or anything but just find it funny that people assume that it's without doubt between Muse, Radiohead and Adele like Glastonbury has never spun the odd surprise.

I do think festivals should be doing more to help bands that are the verge of headlining, however, they need to produce a line up that people actually want. if a headliner who was perceived to be weak was announced and questions were being asked they cant exactly say 'well, we wanted to help them out and get them headliner status'

Reading are very good at giving bands a chance at headliner status -  Foals, Biffy, Kasabian all made their big headlining break at R+L I believe? But at the same time, I can remember their being a shit storm when Biffy were announced in 2013, foolishly, I too was disappointed with the announcement.

Glasto none the less have done their fair bit for acts on the verge - AM 2007, Oasis 1995 etc.

Long and short of it, theres only so much a festival can do without pissing off the punters who pay to go. Dont want them leaving feeling short changed, or at least thats how I perceive it. 

1 hour ago, Terence Fletcher said:

I pay for both of my kids to go to private school, am I a banker? or a rich dentist? neither, i sell fish for a living, but privately educating my kids is the best thing that could happen to them

They will make invaluable contacts and connections that will help their careers

Smaller class sizes

Plenty of sports with actual competition and winners and losers, none of this left wing 'everyone's a winner' crap

Few immigrants who can't speak English properly thus the teacher is able to give my kids attention as opposed to having to devote all the time to them

Sending my kids to private school does not make me a toff, it makes me a caring parent 

Sending your kids to private school doesn't make you a bad person. 

However if you fill their head with the kind of shit you post on here, that will be detrimental for sure. 

" Plenty of sports with actual competition and winners and losers, none of this left wing 'everyone's a winner' crap "

The state school I went to couldn't afford a football, so we all played communistball instead. Or at least we tried to sneak some in on the rare occasions the immigrunts weren't wasting everybody's time, jabbering away in immigrutese.

In a weird way I think foals subbing makes radiohead or LCD a little less likely. 

My logic goes that it would be odd for foals to open for either Adele or Coldplay. Not impossible, granted, but it would mean that foals would likely be subbing the Friday. If subbing for muse then obviously that takes radiohead out of the equation. If subbing for radiohead, then where do LCD play? Surely not headlining other against radiohead - that's not a booking anyone sane would make given the huge overlap in audience?

this could all be total bollocks of course and foals will blow Adele off the stage on the Saturday.

19 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

In a weird way I think foals subbing makes radiohead or LCD a little less likely. 

My logic goes that it would be odd for foals to open for either Adele or Coldplay. Not impossible, granted, but it would mean that foals would likely be subbing the Friday. If subbing for muse then obviously that takes radiohead out of the equation. If subbing for radiohead, then where do LCD play? Surely not headlining other against radiohead - that's not a booking anyone sane would make given the huge overlap in audience?

this could all be total bollocks of course and foals will blow Adele off the stage on the Saturday.

LCD could play 3rd down? Like they aren't as big as Foals are, plenty of really popular bands still play 3rd down at Glastonbury, look at Alt-J last year, and Ed Sheeran, and Robert Plant in 2014

22 minutes ago, theouterlimits said:

Muse and Foals on pyramid

LCD + someone else on other.

2 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

LCD are headlining most festivals they're playing. I don't think James Murphy's ego would settle for less than headlining Other or subbing Pyramid. 

I don't think Murphy's got that big an ego, he's just very certain about what he wants for his band. Don't forget he did a co-headlining tour with Hot Chip where they took it in turns to headline. Personally whichever stage they play on at whatever time I'll watch them, although if they did clash with Radiohead it'd be a tough decision to make.

for me the potential spanner in the works is the Despacio incident in 2014 where the plug got pulled because other staged in Silver Hayes were complaining. As I recall that really pissed Murphy off, so I hope he's got over it.