Secret resales 2015

Terence99

14 minutes ago, james1238 said:

It seems to work fairly nicely. it picks a part out of the page then check it against a hash every x seconds. I was wondering if it was faster than the online ones or not. I've got it sending notifications over imessage now

as you'll find out, there's some responses you'll want to filter out.

8 minutes ago, siblin said:

once you have to make a call to a messaging system you're likely to create a delay.  Even SMS

As I've discovered when texting hundreds of people all expecting a near-instant text, a near-instant text doesn't always come. 

There's only been an issue a few times, but on occasion the text (or series of texts) has got 'lost' for several hours somewhere - presumably in the user's phone service for some reason, but better than that who knows.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

nope, when See don't serve the normal page cos their system is overloaded. The particularly annoying ones are the ones around 4am. :P

lol i don't monitor at 4am. Going off the previous resale times. As long as the pink boxes will defiantly get updated i'm good? 

2 minutes ago, james1238 said:

As long as the pink boxes will defiantly get updated i'm good? 

you're making presumptions of a pattern for a festival that famously has no pattern.

Your presumption might come good and save you a few unnecessary alerts, or it might cost you all chances of even trying for a ticket in the resale.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

you're making presumptions of a pattern for a festival that famously has no pattern.

Your presumption might come good and save you a few unnecessary alerts, or it might cost you all chances of even trying for a ticket in the resale.

Do you know if it's been updated in the past?

14 minutes ago, james1238 said:

The buttons on http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras it's what i'm monitoring

I'm pointing out that they might not update the buttons. They might choose to replace the whole page.

Recent secret sales have been done by updating the buttons, but that doesn't mean the next sale will be done that way. It might not even use the /content/extras page at all.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pointing out that they might not update the buttons. They might choose to replace the whole page.

Recent secret sales have been done by updating the buttons, but that doesn't mean the next sale will be done that way. It might not even use the /content/extras page at all.

Hmm ok i'll make it alert if the button are not there too.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, james1238 said:

Hmm ok i'll make it alert if the button are not there too.

Thanks

IMO, you're probably better monitoring just the base URL of glastonbury.seetickets.com, too.

It's redirected at DNS level to /content/extras at the mo, but has been known to change - which is why i said they might not even use the /content/extras page.

What I think is hugely unlikely is them doing a sale which wasn't using the advertised URL for ticket sales, because that then becomes a private sale to special individuals, something they're not about.

Edited by eFestivals

SCAMWATCH: I chatted with Fly and they confirmed there's no Kevin working there, and that the email stuff was fake. Then I hunted down the kid's social media accounts and got his place of work and DOB, and let him know it's not a particularly good idea to attempt to commit fraud online (I threw in a belated happy birthday too ;)). I'll be reporting him to the police. Hopefully there's a 21 year old out there crapping his pants right now.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, beefykoala said:

SCAMWATCH: I chatted with Fly and they confirmed there's no Kevin working there, and that the email stuff was fake. Then I hunted down the kid's social media accounts and got his place of work and DOB, and let him know it's not a particularly good idea to attempt to commit fraud online (I threw in a belated happy birthday too ;)). I'll be reporting him to the police. Hopefully there's a 21 year old out there crapping his pants right now.

Make sure you screenshot everything and send it to Glastonbury too (there's an email address I believe to report scammers as I reported a few last year)

7 minutes ago, beefykoala said:

Impressive! Well played mate!

13 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Make sure you screenshot everything and send it to Glastonbury too (there's an email address I believe to report scammers as I reported a few last year)

Yep, got it all. :)

3 hours ago, beefykoala said:

Hey all, re: that Fly Glasto ticket that guy was trying to pass off as genuine, I just got this from Fly themselves:

"Mark has passed on your email to me.  I have no booking made by [name redacted].  I received an email from him enquiring about availability but nothing whatsoever has been booked. Tickets can not be sold on."

So there you have it - a scammer in the wild!

3 hours ago, beefykoala said:

I posted it on the Reddit thread but it looks like that is now deleted. Doofus also included his reg numbers, email address, and full name. We're still chatting on Whatsapp and he's like "Bull***t I have a booking!" so I'm egging him to give me more personal info. I don't like scammers.

1 hour ago, beefykoala said:

Good work Miss Marple!  May you be rewarded with tickets!!

1 hour ago, beefykoala said:

I'm out of up votes at the moment, but that's some damn fine work right there. :)

If there's any karma in the world you should be getting the tickets you need!

4 hours ago, siblin said:

I wrote my checker in Perl.  Happy to share some nuggets if you're after any.

I need to look into yours again Siblin, I was signed up a couple of years ago but stopped getting notifications for some reason? Possibly after getting tickets last year I changed something. I'll check it out tonight.

Haven't been able to get a ticket since 2015.. was unsuccessful in last years sale, resale and the squeaky bum secret resale so buggered off to Cuba instead! This year I'm in the whatsapp group again but I have Neil's checkpage too so fingers, toes and everything else crossed! 

Hi just wondering on previous secret sales, did the site crash once everyone got notified as if it was an announced resale & cant get passed the holding page and it really comes down to luck or if you miss out on secret sale is it more down to timing on when you get notified / limited number of tickets? 

Trying to work out, that even if I pick up the notification as soon as site changed, could see tickets server still cope with the demand if all those in the know, flock to the page at once? Surely it can't be as many of those trying at announced resale? How many hits can see tickets server take before holding page comes into effect?? How many are even trying in secret sale? 

I'm only trying to get 1 extra ticket, & it's taking over my life! Oh the stress! 

Just want to say good luck to everyone as well!

4 minutes ago, Chrissy.b said:

Hi just wondering on previous secret sales, did the site crash once everyone got notified as if it was an announced resale & cant get passed the holding page and it really comes down to luck or if you miss out on secret sale is it more down to timing on when you get notified / limited number of tickets? 

Trying to work out, that even if I pick up the notification as soon as site changed, could see tickets server still cope with the demand if all those in the know, flock to the page at once? Surely it can't be as many of those trying at announced resale? How many hits can see tickets server take before holding page comes into effect?? How many are even trying in secret sale? 

I'm only trying to get 1 extra ticket, & it's taking over my life! Oh the stress! 

Just want to say good luck to everyone as well!

I don't think the See servers have crashed in a disastrous way from extreme demand for the last few years (probably since 2013 if memory serves), and as you suggest, the numbers going for the secret resales isn't on the same scale as October Ticket Day, so I think it's all down to timing and getting to the sales page quickly. There is still a chance of seeing the holding page if there are a lot of tickets to sell and the servers can't handle all the transactions in one go, but then you're down to the luck of the draw as to which of the waiting millions happens to refresh at the moment that a transaction server gets a slot, as on main ticket day and main resale day.

I don't think it's common knowledge how many transactions the servers can handle at once, nor how many tickets become available, and it's impossible to know how many people are trying, but I'd guess at (a) several thousand, (b) different and larger several thousand (c) different and even larger several thousand