Most Unpopular Headliners in Recent Years

st dan

I was flabbergasted by the ignorance of people who were straight up 'who the fuck are Arcade Fire', I'm right with you there I don't know how someone could be unawares if them if they go to festivals/ take an interest in music

You'd be surprised, a lot of people who go to festivals know fuck all about music.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arcade Fire was hilarious because people just didn't know who they were. i seriously don't know how you can go to festivals and be totally ignorant to a band that's at headliner level

I know they aren't headlining but I've been going to festivals for 27 years and I can genuinely say that I had never even heard of Macklemore-Lewis or Kendrick Lamarr who have/are subbing Reading last/year.

Not that it bothered me as I was at the other stages but you'd have thought I'd have at least heard the names before.

I was surprised to see that Skunk Anansie headlined in 1999. I was only 7 at the time so I would love to know how popular that booking was from someone who was actually there. My dad played Skunk Anasie when I was younger so I kind of grew up listening to them, which is why it caught my attention.

To me they don't seem to be a Glastonbury headliner but maybe I'm underestimating their popularity back then?!

I was surprised to see that Skunk Anansie headlined in 1999. I was only 7 at the time so I would love to know how popular that booking was from someone who was actually there. My dad played Skunk Anasie when I was younger so I kind of grew up listening to them, which is why it caught my attention.

To me they don't seem to be a Glastonbury headliner but maybe I'm underestimating their popularity back then?!

I'm not of an age but from my knowledge of these forums they've often been raised as a bit of a low point for the festival

How big was the crowd for Metallica?. I was inside the barrier so couldn't judge it and the coverage seemed crowd shot averse for some reason.

I was just to the right of the sound stage and there was more space around me than I've seen for a headliner before, and a lot of people were leaving with us, 1 min into the first song!

Jay z was defo busier, at the start at least.

I know they aren't headlining but I've been going to festivals for 27 years and I can genuinely say that I had never even heard of Macklemore-Lewis or Kendrick Lamarr who have/are subbing Reading last/year.

Not that it bothered me as I was at the other stages but you'd have thought I'd have at least heard the names before.

to be fair, Macklemore came out of absolutely nowhere and became instantly huge (and really wasn't your average Reading booking), and Kendrick has quite a huge cult fanbase. he's huge if you're in to your hip hop, but if not there's probably a chance you haven't heard of him (or at least heard his music)

I was just to the right of the sound stage and there was more space around me than I've seen for a headliner before, and a lot of people were leaving with us, 1 min into the first song!

Jay z was defo busier, at the start at least.

I was at the start for Jay-Z. It amused me but I didn't stay long.

Edited by MrZigster

I stayed for the whole of Jay z. I would have stayed longer for metallica but it was just too loud!

We were to the right of the sound desk for Metallica, but probably about 3/4s of the way back up the field. Was very sparce where we were.....Jay Z however was rammed at the start in 2008.

I stayed for the whole of Jay z. I would have stayed longer for metallica but it was just too loud!

What!?

I thought The Pyramid was somewhat renowned for never being loud enough because the locals still have normal lives to lead that weekend.

How big was the crowd for Metallica?. I was inside the barrier so couldn't judge it and the coverage seemed crowd shot averse for some reason.

yeah i was inside the barrier too, just going on what other people have said! i think it's much lie metallica this booking, lot's of people hating it and I'm sure they'll have their mind changed if they go and see... i was the same with metallica and thought they were bloody brilliant come the end... i am however, a big fan of Kanye and can't wait!

That baffled me to. I get his appeal but his voice annoys me!

Ha ha.

I was working at The Cockmill tent last year in the acoustic field when JB was listed to play there. Some of my co workers hadn't heard of him.

I went "Well I bet you've heard that annoying tune that's everywhere".

Cue me, holding my nose giving it:

"Whining

I'm on the stage just whining" to said tune.

One of the best laughs I got all week.

I remember the NME at the time in a write up or review said something along the lines of "Skin told the crowd 'I can't believe we're the last Glastonbury headliners of the millennium.' Neither can we."

I could write a thesis right now on how I think that the '04 booking of McCartney spoilt us and we've wanted legends ever since.

I think it's more that Eavis panicked when 2008 with Jay-Z didn't sell out, so went to book legends ever since to make sure that didn't happen again (because the festival can't survive on selling less than 100% of the tickets). So we got Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, U2 and Rolling Stones in consecutive years. Then last year was meant to be Fleetwood Mac. Then it was meant to be Prince. And neither worked out, and Eavis was probably panicking they'd get another 2008 year and tons of tickets returned. But it sold out just fine, and I think he realised he doesn't need legends to sell it out any more.

The crowd was tiny, especially considering that it was in the days before Big Fence & there were likely to be as many unexpected “guests” as paying punters on site. After half an hour you could stroll to the very front.

(One of the group I was with desperately wanted to see them, no one else was particularly arsed or had enough energy to strike off elsewhere in answer to the obvious question!)

What!?

I thought The Pyramid was somewhat renowned for never being loud enough because the locals still have normal lives to lead that weekend.

the final sound check before they came on stage was unbelievably loud. They were hitting a drum over and over and it was the loudest thing I've ever heard at the festival. And I was absolutely smashed at the time so would normally be immune to such things!